• HTML tutorial

bee_CO

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Bee
Last Name
Bee
I agree, training is king and practicing said training is crucial as Mellowdave said. I personally carry a first aid kit similar to those posted, but I also carry a dedicated O2 tank. That being said I am trained to an EMR level and find the use of oxygen is worth its weight in gold; far to many times has oxygen done so much for my patients.

For those who upgrade their kits, try to stay away from tactical type stuff that is designed for, well, tactical use. For instance, a tourniquet is probably more likely to cause harm than good and the same outcome can be achieved with a triangular and pressure points. This is only an example, and of course everything has its place and intended use.
I'm an EMR as well, and considering the O's are one of the (few... At least under Denver Metro medical directive) things we can administer, but the great benefit it can have, I was considering a bottle for my rig, but don't really have a place for it.

What we were told when I was trained was that that nowadays a Tourniquet(an actual Tourniquet, not improvised) is highly effective in saving limb or life, with very little risk of making things worse. But it's also important to be trained and to know when the situation warrants it.

Training > equipment

Reactions: del123

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

I'm an EMR as well, and considering the O's are one of the (few... At least under Denver Metro medical directive) things we can administer, but the great benefit it can have, I was considering a bottle for my rig, but don't really have a place for it.

What we were told when I was trained was that that nowadays a Tourniquet(an actual Tourniquet, not improvised) is highly effective in saving limb or life, with very little risk of making things worse. But it's also important to be trained and to know when the situation warrants it.

Training > equipment
I agree, a tourniquet is highly effective if used under the right circumstance (i.e life or limb). I just hate seeing people spend good money on tools that aren't needed for the activity, I suppose you can never go over prepared though. Just my input on this subject, as I've noticed many people carrying full tactical kits with things like z-pak dressings, quickclot (powder) and the like.

Reactions: SLO Rob and bee_CO

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
I teach the use of tourniquets in both the field and the hospital. For us who go into the back country there is really only a few things you can do to save someone's life, no matter your training or equipment. Basic ABC's (which are going away in favor of CAB), Airway and Breathing: make sure air goes in and out (oxygen is not worth the hassle of transporting around in my opinion compared to the benefits)
Circulation: stop bleeding.

Other things to keep in mind are: prevent secondary injury and shock. Carry CPR masks so you can move air in and out. Carry gauze rolls, Izzy's/Israeli bandages and tourniquets to stop bleeding, and something to keep them warm. Splints are nice but rarely life saving and can be improvised.

Credentials: Trauma Surgeon, Flight Surgeon on a Police Rescue helicopter, Advanced Trauma Life Support Instructor, and I teach surgeons in training how to operate.

Chris

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

For us who go into the back country there is really only a few things you can do to save someone's life, no matter your training or equipment. Basic ABC's (which are going away in favor of CAB), Airway and Breathing: make sure air goes in and out (oxygen is not worth the hassle of transporting around in my opinion compared to the benefits)
Circulation: stop bleeding.
Chris
Couldn't agree more with this.

Reactions: bee_CO

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

First Aid Training - Got the kit, now what do I do?

So you went all out and bought the biggest, baddest, and highest quality kit you could afford. Your rig throws a belt. You're neck deep in the engine bay getting ready to install your shiny backup belt (which you're so proud you packed in your kit). It's been a while since the alternator has been loose so the tension adjustment bolts are a bit snug. You give it all you've got with that crescent wrench and... slip, lacerating your hand on the fan blade. Now, what do you do?
You've never cleaned and dressed a substantial wound before. Do you think you could patch yourself up? What if this is day one of a week long overland trip? Do you think you'll cancel the whole trip due to a moderate laceration? Let's say you patch the cut up with all the cool supplies from the fancy kit. 3 days go by. The wound is festered and you have a fever. You're 5 hours from the nearest hospital and now a simple wound has turned into a much bigger issue. What is the most likely cause of the infection? Probably improper application of first-aid due to no basic training.
This is just an example of what could happen if you don't educate yourself on using the tool you invested your hard earned money into, which was intended to help prevent a major medical issue. My illustration isn't an attempt to scare you, but to help you visualize the potential issues that can arise from improper use of your most important tool.

Here are some excellent organizations that provide first-aid training:

Red Cross First-Aid & CPR Class
NOLS Wilderness Medical Institute
REI Wilderness Medicine Classes

If you're like me, finding time to go take a class can be tough. Fortunately, there's the Google and YouTube option which is better than nothing. Though I highly recommend taking an actual hands-on course where you can practice the fundamentals.

Also, an injury quick reference guide is a another great addition to the kit. Some higher-end kits include these.
My two cents in this discussion: This is a detailed write up. Yes, I completly agree that most people go out and purchase the best kit they can. Then believe that they are ready. My caution-kit does not equal prficiency. Actually, I would prefer someone to get trained and then get/build a first-aid kit. This way you have a kit tailored to your ability.

Most acidents I have responded to or assisted in were not related to a lack of having a first aid kit; but due to no clue on how to use the kit they have. Just possessing the kit and the first aid guide is not sufficient. Correct training can also make up for lack of items in a first aid kit. Most wilderness first aid training sessions provide ideas of how to make use of field expidient materials. Additionally, fumbling through a first aid guide when your heart is racing only makes the situation worse.

First aid is an area that I would stress needs to be a priority for your personal training. Think of what can happen on the trail; so what if you get stuck, getting stuck usually won't kill you. You can die from simple injuries if not treated and not treated correctly. Think about it this way-can you name the three types of shock and the treatment for each? Is what you are going to do, going to help or further injure the person? If an injury is mis-identified, the treatment protocol you follow may worsen the situation.

Making time for correct training is an issue for everyone.Ways to make time and save money for this training - cancel a trip or two. The time used now for adequate training may be better utilized in the future if the need arrises. I have personally always made this a priority. Especially, if you are like me and go out by yourself or go very remote. In these cases I would recommend a Wilderness First Responder course. I am not advocating getting Wilderness EMT training, but all people should get some form of wilderness based first aid training.

Like most items in your recovery gear, they are not usually used for your vehicle. Same with medical training, you are not usually the victim.

Last edited:

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

I just have a basic medkit in my emergency backpack. It has some bandages, dresses, meds and other simple things in it. I had first aid training years ago and (luckily) never had to use it to much. Having all kinds of fancy things wouldn't do much good because I won't know how to use it anyway.. I can threat a simple cut and thats about it ;)

Bender

Rank 0

Traveler I

REI has a good resource for items to consider in your FA kit. Pre-built ones aren't necessarily bad but I generally find them to be fairly overpriced and don't quite cover the components that I'm looking for. Often, they're short on one item or another or include things that may not apply. Currently, I'm rebuilding my kit from the ground up and since I already have lots of odds and ends, the most important thing for me is the bag itself. Making sure compartments are easily accessible, items can be clearly seen/marked, and it can be easily replenished. These things often look great at the start, but after some use, they can get disorganized quickly and restocking them can be burdensome -- especially when you're not sure what it had originally.

So TLDR, I came across REI's list for some first-aid items https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/first-aid-checklist.html It's a good breakdown of basic and specialized items. Most people won't have all this stuff in their kit but it's helpful to restock your own or to add things that you may be missing that you hadn't thought of.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I will have to get some photos of my First Aid Kit.

I used to have it packed in an orange bag, but I scored a free Pelican Case with some reloading supplies and moved everything to that box. The soft bag was resulting in some things getting squished that I preferred didn't, like the squeeze bottle of iodine.

I have the typical stuff for trail boo-boos, but I have focused heavily on large wound pads. I have come upon several bad crashes over the years and learned that the small 2x2 pads just are not enough to stop serious leakage. I have added a stack of pads, tourniquet, and even some Israeli field bandages. A large assortment of steri-strips will help keep things closed, since I don't know how to do sutures.

Here is the old bag I used:

What you see when you opened it (This bag will become my home kit, all but a few things from this kit are now in a Pelican Case to keep out dirt, moisture, and keep them from being crushed.)

The bag at the top is all various sizes of wrap; it's the same stuff they use on you when you donate blood or on your pets at the vet. It's very handy for keeping wounds and dressings clean and in place. Next down is an ace bandage, followed by a roll-up splint for broken bones (really hope I never have to use that one). Also pictured are the EMT sheers and CPR mask.

Various general purpose and specialty bandages - including ones for eyes and burn pads that won't stick to the wound.

CPR airways (top left), Emergency blankets to treat for shock (now reduced to one for space, the others are in the get-home bag), manual, and bag-o-bandages.

The snake-bite kit is gone, after reading up on them, I realized they do more harm than good. At the center are surgical gloves; I can't express strongly enough how important these are. After getting covered in someone's blood trying to stop a gushing head wound, I realized that gloves really need to be in every kit. Without running water, it also helps keep your filthy hands from spreading infection to the wound.

Things I need to add to the kit right now are medications: ibuprofen, acetaminophen, Imodium, Pepto bismol caplets, etc. The problem with keeping this stuff in the rig is the winter cold and summer heat break them down more quickly than if they were in a nice, climate-controlled home.

Anyway, I hope that this was helpful. This kit is in addition to the OEM first aid kit that comes with the XTerra. I have added things like bandages and such to it, but it is pretty well stocked with things like tweezers and a small pair of scissors. The tweezers are probably the most used item other than band-aids.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I'll 100% agree with everyone who has said training is the most important item in your first aid kit. Even a basic first aid class put on at your workplace is better than most persons ever have.

My wife and I have had casual/basic first aid classes and it is amazing what we encounter out in the world. We once came across a bicyclist who had went over his handle bars and actually broke the front off his helmet he had hit so hard and had been unconscious. There were a couple of people just standing there doing nothing and when we walked up, no one had even called 911 yet. The simple act of me getting down on the ground with him, kept reminding him to not get up and to lie still as well as keeping him calm as my wife called 911 was Paramount to the situation. I actually heard someone ask "should we help him up?" Which is a terrifying thought when the cyclist hit his head so hard the helmet broke and he was disoriented to say the least.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

dcx13

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Francisco, CA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Horndasch
Member #

You can have all the equipment in the world, but without proper training it's useless. Training is the best piece of First-aid equipment you could ever get!
After my deployment, I started building out my kits to mimic what we carried in our rigs. The primary purpose was to stabilize/maintain the patient until medical support arrived/they were evac'd out.
Fortunately there are companies offering complete kits, that are nearly as identically equipped as our mission bags were. Personally, I'm using "The Medic" & "MYFAK" kits from a company called MyMedic. https://mymedic.us/
The only additional equipment I'll carry, depending on the activity, is a pair of pre bundled IV lines, 2x 500cc saline & 1x 1,000cc Lactated Ringers Solution bags.
Somewhat related, I also carry an old VF-17 signal panel (the orange tarp on the top/back of most U.S. military vehicles) & a small bright colored parafoil kite, for aerial signaling/locating.

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
I've gone through all kinds of kits. Training is key. In regards to equipment, you need 3 kits in my opinion. I carry a hard sided pelican EMS case for "basecamp" needs. Stays on the roof rack. I have a "boo boo" kit for my kids and adults who act like kids. And then I have a "trauma bag" which is a STOMP backpack. This is set up to care for multiple trauma patients (bleeding, airway, etc). I found that traumas rarely happen in convenient locations and hauling a hard sided case around sucks. As for training, I'm a trauma surgeon so that's covered but I do train other docs in trauma care, those in my Rover Club and anyone willing to listen. The reality of back country trauma care is that you can't do much but what you can do may make a real difference. It comes down to airway, breathing, circulation and shock. Make sure air can go in and out, that blood stays in and moves around the way it is supposed to, and that you treat for the shock that will be present (feet above the heart, keep them warm unless heat stroke/exhaustion). That's all you have to remember about first aid. How you accomplish those steps is were the training comes in. Basic CPR and pressure will care for most survivable injuries. I recommend people carry a CPR mask, Israeli bandages, tourniquets, ACE wraps, a SAM splint if you want and lots of gauze and tape. You don't need a $400 kit, you need a backpack and maybe $60-$100 worth of gear depending on how many people you want to be able to treat. I recommend carrying enough for all the people in your rig. Let me know if you have questions, always happy to help people learn.

Advocate II

Clearly we are way late to the party but wanted to jump in since we are a company with deep roots in the offroading community. Without question this thread has very valuable information and we want to thank everyone who has contributed so far.

Like most have said... training, equipment familiarity, and reasonable expectations are the keys to a good first aid kit. We encourage everyone who is putting together a first aid kit, or purchasing one of ours, to really consider how/where they will be using it. For example, some people just want the comfort of knowing that they have a first aid kit and generally stay within close proximity to the 911 system. Some find themselves as group leaders or the one that's "always prepared". Others plan to act immediately at the first sign of injury and some look to get completely off the grid for extended periods of time.

As a company we feel that it is fundamentally wrong to give off the impression, or appearance, that by carrying a first aid kit, you'll be prepared for whatever injury you may encounter. Additionally, it's completely unethical to withhold life saving over-the-counter medications based on price or level of kit (See footnote). It's also ridiculous to provide a kit that is prepackaged so that the "End-User" never has a chance to become familiar with it's contents before they are faced with an emergency.

I realize that these are pretty bold statements but we truly believe that many outdoor enthusiast are severely mislead by marketing and fancy labeling. As a company, the least we can do is offer you a chance to pack/set-up your kit and become familiar with the supplies it contains. We firmly believe that the saying "you don't know what you don't know" is true unless you're prompted to seek out the answer. By intentionally providing kits that are "not ready for use" straight out of the box we hope that some thought and familiarity is introduced. We believe that confidence and knowledge is gained by putting your hands on every piece of equipment.

So whether you build your own or plan on purchasing from a manufacturer please take a good hard look at what's provided. Each item should have multiple uses and practical applications. Make sure that there is a way to replace used supplies and expired medications without having to buy a whole new kit. Lastly, we highly recommend your kit is accessible at all times and that the contents are protected from the elements in crush, dust, and waterproof case.

*Individual First Aid Kits (IFAK) are generally regarded as personal trauma kits and not intended to treat medical emergencies.*

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Dash0312 and Dunco

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

Hey All,

Great to see so many comments in this section,
First Aid skills is always a critical thing to have to hand especially when overlanding as everyone knows, Overlanding can sometimes take you to some far and distant places which are very remote which it could take hours for any emergency service assistance to arrive,

Adding to the first aid skills, having some tracking or an emergency beacon which is GEOS enabled would be sensible - the SPoT G3 is widely available to use is most locations globally

Kev