Enthusiast I

Fontana, California, United States
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Karaboghosian
Member #

Hey SoCal OB crew,

Hope is well with with everyone. Long time since I last got on here. Glad everyone is talking about Overland Expo and convoy trips.

Here is my plans as of now:
- leave Pasadena early morning
- stop at Barrow for a quick stop
- From there head too Kingmam for lunch / refuel.
- from there go straight to the Expo

I'll be in a two vehicle convoy as of now. My brother in his GX , my wife and myself will be in our Jeep GC. ( apologizing in advance if you don't see the badge on the Jeep, it's a Lease) lol

If this works out with existing convoys I'm totally down to join or if anyone would like to join me I'm flexible either way.

Looking forward to seeing everyone who is attending OE.

This will be our first time so we are totally excited about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mtnhabitoverland

mtnhabitoverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

san dimas, ca
Member #

Hey SoCal OB crew,

Hope is well with with everyone. Long time since I last got on here. Glad everyone is talking about Overland Expo and convoy trips.

I'll be in a two vehicle convoy as of now. My brother in his GX , my wife and myself will be in our Jeep GC. ( apologizing in advance if you don't see the badge on the Jeep, it's a Lease) lol

If this works out with existing convoys I'm totally down to join or if anyone would like to join me I'm flexible either way.

Hey stranger!!!
Yeah if you hook up with Dominic, I believe he's headed up to the 40.
The groups I have are from San Diego and Central Coast, we're meeting up in Phoenix and going through Sedona.
If we doing roll together, safe travels friend and welll see ya there!

Dominic OB0158

US West Region Member Rep
Founder 500
Benefactor
Launch Member

Member II

Perris Ca
First Name
Dominic
Last Name
Moschetti
Member #

Hey SoCal OB crew,

Hello Anthony...yes we a few OB Members taking the 15 to route 40 over to the Expo...I've invited you to the group list.

@mtnhabitoverland...thanks for looking out...we all look forward to meeting up with you guys taking the southern route over.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I can go either. 10 sounds intriguing. Thru phoenix and up 87

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
87 is the wrong way. You don't want to take that route. What you guys could do to help with the heavy traffic that is on the 17N would be to turn onto the 60 just outside of Quartzsite and head up that way. It is different, less crowded, easier on the vehicles that are towing, and more scenic. 10 - 60 - 71 - 89 - 40(those pulling trailers) - 89a for those who want a curvier more scenic route. Either of those routes would be better than 10 - 17, yes easier to follow but if there is an accident on the 17 you can bet it will shut down the highway and take hrs to recover from. Leaving on Sunday it definitely would be best to not go down the 17 to Phx. Those of us who live here know how bad it gets when everyone goes away for the weekend to the mountains and then drives down the 17 home and someone goes above the speed limit and hits a guard rail and then 6hrs later they finally get home.

Reactions: Yumafolks

CollinsDad8

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

San Diego California
Member #

View attachment 13287 Central meetup planning for all SoCal folks and travelers, who are heading to Overland Expo West 2017!! Let's CONVOY!!
Leaving Thursday May 11, 2017

Los Angeles County, Orange County, San Diego County, Imperial County, Riverside County, San Bernardino County, Ventura County...and beyond!! All OB travelers are welcome to join!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: 4/14/2017
******************Planning and Logistics meeting just completed!!!***************

I need a RIG COUNT PLEASE! If your OB handle isn't in the original post, you need to be on that list so we can account for everyone. So reply in this thread please and I'll count you in.
Reminder: HAM radio is a must to be part of this epic convoy!!

Disclaimer: As difficult as it may be, I do need to state...please do not expect anyone to hold back if a rig has serious mechanical issues. We are all here to look out for each other's safety but please understand, we do have a schedule to stick to and there are no legal commitments for this convoy.

Now on to the fun stuff!

San Diego Team (Full-pending) ------> Team Leader: Tony I.
Los Angeles/Inland Empire Team ---->Team Leader: Nicole M.
Central/Northern CA Team -----------> Team Leader: TBD

We will be taking the Southern route (10 to 17)
Rendezvous in Ontario (10 Fwy/15 fwy) zip = 91764, at 12:30 AM on Thursday, May 11
READY TO ROLL 12:50 AM
EN ROUTE 1:00 AM
-------->>>>Our route will be a straight shot out to Phoenix to rendezvous with the San Diego Team, then to Flagstaff via Sedona area. Mostly pavement with some dirt and amazing scenery! Not how we usually roll, but we just want everyone to get there with no trail mishaps before the expo.

Check in with what team you're closest to so we can start to get the teams in communication. Be prepared to provide your contact info/license plate number later in a PM. This will be made public via spreadsheet to ALL DRIVERS IN ATTENDANCE IN THE CONVOY AT THE TIME OF MEETUP.

Preliminary head count will be complete by April 29th.
Final confirmation count will be April 9, 2017.

If other groups wish to head further north, the 40 may be your route of choice. It will be very dark, please drink loads of coffee and be safe!!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone!!!

SAN DIEGO TEAM: (Full)
1. C.Hoffman with TI. (4R)
2. @ilaoAdventures +3 (4R)
3. Kevin H. (2016 Tacoma)
4. @Tuskin_raider (2016 Tacoma)

LOS ANGELES/INLAND EMPIRE TEAM:
1. @mtnhabitoverland (2016 Tacoma)
2. @DominicMoschetti (Jeep --don't hate me, IDK Jeep models)
3. @Tom DeVor
4. @Pancho Calvo
5. @Mizael Payan
6. @Socal Hillbilly
Open...

CENTRAL/NORCAL TEAM:
Open...

TRAILER GROUP (Info only):
1. @Pancho Calvo
-----–--------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: 3/27/17
Leaving May 11, 2017, early am.
It's a 6.5 hour drive minimum. Bring good tunes and caffeine!!!
We will have rest stops identified and will rally up the groups each time.
Plan on bringing your meals to cover the trip to Flagstaff as the rest stops will be brief enough for relief and a bit of stretching.
We will be on a strict schedule so we don't take all day getting there.
This will be a non-sight seeing convoy.
Drivers from all areas are welcome to join us!
Depending upon the number of vehicles, we will have separate groups with slightly separate start times.
**All rigs are required to have at minimum HAM radio, 2-way radios.
The idea of the convoy to Flagstaff, is to get there in once piece. By having a convoy, we are all looking out for each other and are able to assist with fixes should they be needed. Also freeway chatter is a good time to get to know everyone.
If you have a slower, heavier rig or trailer, you will be grouped together to allow for safety on the road.

The days following the Expo are for adventure travel!

More details to come.
Will be updated here.
This is CollinsDad8, from San Diego. SD team is full, so should I just forget the convoy and drive directly to Flagstaff?

ColoradoRick

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Central Coast CA
Member #

Not trying to step on your guys plan.. but if anyone wants to convoy on highway 40, I'll be in Barstow Thursday morning..

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
What time are you planning on leaving Barstow? I will be passing through there at about 1015-1030am traffic dependent... I will likely need to fuel up there.
--
Rick