Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Is anyone else planning on attending the 2016 Overland Expo West?

They just recently opened up registration, and if last year is any indication of the level of interest in this event, you should register early so you can get ensure you get a spot in the popular training sessions.

Here is the link:
http://www.overlandexpo.com/west/

We should also start talking about an OB member meet-up at the Expo! @administrator @CorrieOB

Reactions: Meta6981

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I would LOVE to go... Unfortunately that is "Black-Out" time at work, we are allowed no time off from April 1st-July 1st.. :( Anyone know when Expo East usually is?

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I keep thinking that I want to go to Overland Expo, but I have mixed feelings.

On one hand, I think I would enjoy the clinics on recovery, cooking, and backcountry first aid. I've watched a lot of YouTube videos on how to winch and set up a recovery, but I've always managed to avoid getting that suck; something I'm proud of. Camp cooking would be kind of fun to try out, but there are also lots of resources online and I can just as easily try it myself. First aid training is the big one that requires hands-on experience, I have some basic training and I renewed my CPR card. REI does some first aid classes, as does my local school district's continuing education program.

On the other hand, the Expo looks like a big money-suck and a whole lot of crowds and crowded camping - all the things I want to avoid in overlanding.

Maybe some day I will go, but I think I would like to do it with a few other people I know so we can at least set up a nice little basecamp in the middle of our vehicles. Plus, right now I would rather spend the registration on travel and mods.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

@fj80toyman That sounds like a possibility! Let's see how it shakes out!

@TreXTerra I understand your dilemma, it can be quite overwhelming at first. It takes a lot of effort to work through their schedule and pick the courses you want to take. The camping can get cozy, and in the case of the previous expo west, one sticky mess when the weather turns foul. However, I believe the benefits outweigh the negative factors, especially for someone who is wanting to have the hands-on training in various skills with people who are passionate about the lifestyle. There's no doubt, you can get most of the information from the internet via YouTube, OJ, etc. but it doesn't replace the hands on training aspect.

Another benefit of the expo is the vendors. You can actually try out the next piece of gear you are considering, talk to the people who designed it, and get your questions answered in real-time. Not to mention, maybe find something you didn't know you needed!

And if that isn't enough, just meeting with like-minded people and hearing their stories and adventures is worth its weight in gold.

Honestly, I was skeptical when I first signed up, being a do-it-yourself/figure-it-out-yourself kinda guy. But now, looking back I'm glad I went! The courses I attended were well taught, the vendors were well stocked, and the people were extremely friendly in spite of the terrible weather.

Maybe it's not for everyone, but I would recommend that an overlander attend it at least once for the experience.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
@TreX, You bring up valid points, I agree, and I've been there twice so far. There's a lot to be said for the "environment" at the event though. It's festive, communal and HUGE! The campground is part of a large dry lake bed, plenty of room to establish a small circle of friends with room for all.
Yeah you're likely to spend some cash, especially if you need 'stuff' cause there's plenty there. I would say plan on it one time but maybe not just that. That's why I think it would be fun to do a day run while there, or before or after. I'm seriously thinking about going by way of Moab this year. That's always a good time.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Maybe one day I will go. From what I've heard, it is best to have some "Fun Funds" set aside for purchases. Right now I'm running on a shoestring. I've got good friends who give me deals on awesome kit, like my bumper, sliders, and soon-t0-be-aquired roof basket; or some just give me help in exchange for beer. A friend is helping me make a completely custom front bumper for only the cost of steel and keeping his beer fridge stocked - this is probably saving me close to $900 over buying a bumper and I get to do lots of the work myself and build my own design.

Some day, when I've written the next Psych 101 text book being required by every college in the country, I will finally get the student loans paid off and have enough funds to go buy all the cool-kid stuff. For right now, I think I'm excited to be planning my first shoe-string trip and really break into overlanding.

That being said, if any of you guys going through Moab want to do a mini-meet down there and hit some trails, I would be open to making that happen. Any excuse to get down to south eastern Utah works for me.

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I was kicking the idea around again. The cost of what I paid for what I got left a bad taste in my mouth. The educational part was pretty lacking. It was a good time though. I thought about hitting up mojave road on the way down. A convoy and group would be fun along with a trail run. If there is rain im not going lol

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

@stoney126 What courses did you take? I was pleased with the course content I signed up for, but I heard that some of the classes/instructors were lacking in content.

I was pretty bummed that the rain and snow shut down a lot of the driving and recovery courses I signed up to take. But, in their defense... I could see where it simply wasn't safe to proceed. It's just the risk we take with outdoor events I suppose.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I don't remember exactly which ones . But the driving course was one along with how to prepare for travel and repairs. And there was a cooking and some other ones.
I ordered the experience package for me and my wife. I just didn't see what I paid extra for. Honestly I had picked up most of the stuff from YouTube videos and from the forums. Which was fine, my wife learned some stuff. But I kept saying to myself really? This seems really basic information. And for almost 500 bucks I really expected more.

The class for the driving course being cancelled really pissed me off. Me being new with little experience and my wife with absolutely zero experience, this was going to be her introduction under somebody who knew what they were doing. Instead we sat in my truck waiting for the next class to start. I get its for safety but still chaps my hide.We got bored mid Saturday afternoon and decided to head out on a side adventure.

Now I may have blown it for myself because I've been wanting to go for a few years now so I may have overhyped it a bit. Of course the weather was pretty lousy.

However I dI'd meet lots of cool people and had great conversations and learned of some great locations to see. I do want go back but may just do the weekend pass as it's wayyyyy cheaper.

It would be cool to go with a vehicle that has some aftermarket following this time. Not alot geared towards a superduty

It is a great time and should be done at least once. I'd like to go again if the funds are there

Last edited: