Launch Member

Advocate II

Okotoks, AB
First Name
Stephane
Last Name
Fortin
Member #

Overland Expo has been on my bucket list for a long time. 2016 is the year my daughter and I are doing Moab. And for the rest of the year I will be doing a lot of micro overland trips. So it looks like 2017 might be the year for Overland Expo.

Keep on Jeepin' On!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: stoney126

ocpd8518

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Port St Lucie Fl
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Skalkeas
Member #

90% sure I'm gonna make it west. I've already paid my registration. I just got a job so I can pay for it. Just gotta figure out if I can save (payoff) the plastic enough to go. I'm heading out from Jacksonville Fl and would love to have company on the way out. I'll hopefully be more ceratin in the new year. Any classes that are a definatley do that I need to sign up for?

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

@ocpd8518 The class selection can be a daunting task. There's simply so much to choose from! And, if you're not careful, you can fill up your whole weekend! I highly recommend making a list of all the classes you want to attend, then rank them by priority. You can then start filling your schedule based on available time slots, tossing the low-priority classes when there's a conflict. Then, review the big picture to see how much free time you have left. I suggest leaving a couple hours a day to wonder around and meet folks, or maybe leave all of Sunday free if your classes are bunched up on Friday and Saturday.

Your skill level and current rig equipment may play a factor in selection. However, I learned new things in areas I already felt familiar with, and picked up recovery techniques I don't yet have all the equipment for, so don't feel constrained to what's most applicable.

I really enjoyed all the workshops put on by the High Trail Expedition team. They were knowledgeable, thorough, and really encouraged hands-on learning during the course.

Good luck on your selection! Keep us updated.

ocpd8518

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Port St Lucie Fl
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Skalkeas
Member #

@ocpd8518 The class selection can be a daunting task. There's simply so much to choose from! And, if you're not careful, you can fill up your whole weekend! I highly recommend making a list of all the classes you want to attend, then rank them by priority. You can then start filling your schedule based on available time slots, tossing the low-priority classes when there's a conflict. Then, review the big picture to see how much free time you have left. I suggest leaving a couple hours a day to wonder around and meet folks, or maybe leave all of Sunday free if your classes are bunched up on Friday and Saturday.

Your skill level and current rig equipment may play a factor in selection. However, I learned new things in areas I already felt familiar with, and picked up recovery techniques I don't yet have all the equipment for, so don't feel constrained to what's most applicable.

I really enjoyed all the workshops put on by the High Trail Expedition team. They were knowledgeable, thorough, and really encouraged hands-on learning during the course.

Good luck on your selection! Keep us updated.
Thanl you for the insight. Sounds like the freshman year at college. Don't wanna sign up for all the classes and miss out on the party. I will keep an update going and nail down some permanant plans when I know. Thanks again.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

The wife and I took several hours to set our schedule up. I think we're gonna head to this one again. The Road trip there and back was such a good time it's hard to not want to go again.

Lol gotta get some of those classes quickly booked classes this year

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Any idea Ifor any of the classes are full yet? If the recovery and driving courses are still open gonna sign the wife and I up again for the Overland experience package.

pace04

Rank 0

Traveler I

I went in 2012 with a buddy, last minute thing. Had a really good time. I bought a Baja Rack for my FJ from the owner. A few months later, pictures of that exact same rack was in Overland Journal!

Gateway: 2007 FJC, Current Baby: 1996 Land Cruiser...Mods never end for either.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Yup this is what I thinking too. Are joshua tree and Mojave road different areas?
Close but separate. JT is a national park. Mojave is an open desert road/area, much more freedom and larger areas to explore, less people. Mojave should take you a minimum of 3 days, lots of driving. JT is cool but for exploration, and I like national park's, but Mojave is better IMHO.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

hookjaw

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate I

San Jose, CA
Member #

I'll be going again this year. Looking forward to an Expo West Overland Bound convoy and meetup. Last year I didn't get out as much as I was pretty much hunkered down due to the weather when I was not in a class/workshop. I get the camping with a crowd deal, but honestly, if there is a crowd, this is the crowd any of us want to be a part of. Can't beat being around a bunch of other kindred spirits. And oh yeah, all of the rigs.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Sweet, lots of new stuff. Better hurry up and make my deposit. Think I'm taking a full week off. Do some exploring before and after the expo

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland