OKT4RCPL

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Chandler Oklahoma
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5DVC
Well, I ain't short of friends to have a taste with LOL....I hope to meet you all at this event. I know some trails kinda that are neat if people are interested.

Reactions: Iwata77

Scott McCormick

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Elkins, Arkansas
First Name
Scott
Last Name
McCormick
Member #

If my spot has trees I'll sleep in the hammock, most likely. I figure that will be the coolest option, especially if I can leave off the underquilt. But I will also have my 10x10 EZUP with the Camp Cube, which provides 100sq ft of stand-able space. If it does pour, I can fit at least 8 or so camp chairs for evening cocktails. :p

In fact, it doubles a screen room, so even if not raining will probably good for avoiding the blood suckersView attachment 100579
That is the same tent I have....I love it!

Reactions: Craig M

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

That is the same tent I have....I love it!
I got it on sale from them direct, last year around this time, and it has been fantastic as a ground tent. Not sure if you've had yours in heavier wind, but we got hammered pretty good in Moab (Easter Jeep Safari), with a solid 24 hours of winds up to 30mph and more, and it held up great. Of course, I did have it staked at all 4 corners, and 4 sides with their long stakes, as well as running a couple guy lines on the wind side, but I was really impressed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott McCormick

OKT4RCPL

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Chandler Oklahoma
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5DVC
I’m game for some trail runs. It’s my first time there
Lets hope the trails aren't underwater. Last time we went a friend blew two tires in a mud hole hiding a big rock and the low water crossing grew up to no crossing LOL...There is another trail that is dry but great views

r_horner

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Guthrie, Logan County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Horner
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Lets hope the trails aren't underwater. Last time we went a friend blew two tires in a mud hole hiding a big rock and the low water crossing grew up to no crossing LOL...There is another trail that is dry but great views
Yeah that trail turned in to nightmare at first. Wish we could have all finished it together! Def some muddy areas when it wasn’t rainy could only imagine what it’s like now! The only good thing was that @Hirvy was able to get some new tires!

Beer Hounds

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakeville, MN, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Pettit
Member #

It is forecast to rain, it will be a mess that is guaranteed! There are mud holes that will swallow a 4Runner. One word of advice, there are several drain plugs under the carpet of 5th gen 4runners, they helped me drain 6 inches of water in my cab.IMG_20180820_220508_137.jpg

Last edited:

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

OOf.. After burning up my transmission in mud holes erlier this year, I'll be avoiding the slickest stuff as much as possible.. I mean, I know it's not always possible but definitely avoiding the actual mud holes.

And unfortunately, being teh proud owner of a Wrangler with the stupid freedom top, I'm well versed on the location of my drain plugs. Every time we get heavy rain (and the Jeep is parked) I get a good inch in my DS floorboard! Heck, even my DS panel itself gets full of water, and I have to remove it to drain ~1/2 gallon each time.

Once this van is done and I no longer need a roof rack on the Jeep, I'm think I'mvditching the 'hard top' for a soft one.. It's so counter intuitive that you have to get the soft top to cut down leaking! lol

The freedom top is probably one of my biggest complaints about the JKU.. I absolutely hate it. I really prefer a hard top though, so maybe I'll just move to one of the after-market one-piece tops.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Getting excited for this trip though! I went through and put together my camp gear for this one last night (cut a bunch out since I'll be solo), and I'll be doing maintenance on the Jeep, to prep, today(rotating tires and the like).

I plan to head out Early Friday AM to get me there by about noon. Looking forward to meeting more of you! I think @ntx377 is the only member going to this event that I have met in in person, so should be lots of new faces to go with (forum) names!

ntx377

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Valley View, TX
First Name
Devin
Last Name
Kleppe
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5KAR
Service Branch
USMC Veteran
Chili, I know some Jeeps leak but neither of our Jeeps have leaked. Just lucky I guess.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Chili, I know some Jeeps leak but neither of our Jeeps have leaked. Just lucky I guess.
Yeah, I have heard similar reports even though you seem to be in the minority. :P

But mine may also be partly as result of neglect or abuse by the original owner. They clearly removed the panels alot, and probably did not follow the suggested procedure to reinstall. I tried replacing the felt seals, and they seemed to help at first, but now it's worse. I also think it spent a lot of time parked in full sun, and suspect these panels may be a bit warped. I thnk the thing I hate most is the screw in pieces, through the sound bar.. A horrible design, IMO, at least from a usability standpoint. And now I have Arthritis issues in my hands, so without using the drill attachment, I can barely get them on and off. Of course, the only reason I take them off lately is to drain them. :\

I have considered just ponying up for a brand new OEM top so I wil know it was treated right.. The worst part is that I really don't even care about the topless capability! If they sold a metal top JKU I would totally have gone that route, and that almost pushed me to the FJ when I was shopping for this. I also had a 90 Bronco, and never took that top off once. C'est la vie..

Overall I am still loving the Jeep though, after the first 3 years of owning one. The pros have outweighed the cons, so far.

Reactions: Iwata77

Iwata77

US Multi Region Local Expert OK,KS, MO, AR, TX
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Tulsa, Tulsa County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Kate
Last Name
Iwata
Member #

Getting excited for this trip though! I went through and put together my camp gear for this one last night (cut a bunch out since I'll be solo), and I'll be doing maintenance on the Jeep, to prep, today(rotating tires and the like).

I plan to head out Early Friday AM to get me there by about noon. Looking forward to meeting more of you! I think @ntx377 is the only member going to this event that I have met in in person, so should be lots of new faces to go with (forum) names!
I started setting things aside to take last week but plan on getting more serious when I get home Tuesday. I’m looking forward to putting faces with names too! On a side night I randomly ran into Marco (ovrlndx on IG) yesterday at a desert gas station and totally fangirled out‍♀[emoji23]

• Haha
Reactions: ntx377

Iwata77

Launch Member

Pathfinder II

First Name
Kate
Last Name
Iwata
Member #

Yeah, I have heard similar reports even though you seem to be in the minority. :P

But mine may also be partly as result of neglect or abuse by the original owner. They clearly removed the panels alot, and probably did not follow the suggested procedure to reinstall. I tried replacing the felt seals, and they seemed to help at first, but now it's worse. I also think it spent a lot of time parked in full sun, and suspect these panels may be a bit warped. I thnk the thing I hate most is the screw in pieces, through the sound bar.. A horrible design, IMO, at least from a usability standpoint. And now I have Arthritis issues in my hands, so without using the drill attachment, I can barely get them on and off.

I have considered just ponying up for a brand new OEM top so I wil know it was treated right.. The worst part is that I really don't even care about the topless capability! If they sold a metal top JKU I would totally have gone that route, and that almost pushed me to the FJ when I was shopping for this. I also had a 90 Bronco, and never took that top off once. C'est la vie..

Overall I am still loving the Jeep though, after the first 3 years of owning one. The pros have outweighed the cons, so far.
Just and FYI, my softop leans too. Nothing is safe lol

• Haha

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Just and FYI, my softop leans too. Nothing is safe lol
Haha, but from where / how many places? Mine now leaks from the front center, the drivers side roll bar area (where the little pin goes into the bar), AND through the sound bar (which drips right on my shoulder). And when the panel is filled with water, the sloshing while driving drives me insane! lol

Heck, I may as well just throw a bikini top on it and accept the inevitable! :p

Reactions: ntx377 and Iwata77

Iwata77

Launch Member

Pathfinder II

First Name
Kate
Last Name
Iwata
Member #

Haha, but from where / how many places? Mine now leaks from the front center, the drivers side roll bar area (where the little pin goes into the bar), AND through the sound bar (which drips right on my shoulder). And when the panel is filled with water, the sloshing while driving drives me insane! lol

Heck, I may as well just throw a bikini top on it and accept the inevitable! :p
I have at least 3 spots. Front driver side (drips on my knee when raining) and on both sides by the back seats at doors. There is a hole on the plastic pieces that fit next too the back doors from bestop (no idea why). I’ll show you next weekend lol

ntx377

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Valley View, TX
First Name
Devin
Last Name
Kleppe
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5KAR
Service Branch
USMC Veteran
We spent about 5 minutes to make sure our trailer is packed and ready to go. We’re ready.

Reactions: Craig M and Iwata77

Habsontheroad

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Cave Springs, Arkansas, USA
First Name
Vernon
Last Name
Habersetzer
Member #

Hey guys, so this will be the first time tent camping with my family...I think I’ve spent far too much time thinking / preparing, but want it to go well so they will want to do it more. The weather doesn’t look promising, so could be interesting. Looking forward to meeting people, though! This is my first rally.