Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I have a question about the location Byrds adventure center. Are we going to be the only group on the property for this event or will there be other people using the facilities as well. I ask because I would like to leave some gear like maybe a solar panel charging a battery at my campsite if I go on a ride and don't know if I should be concerned about security or theft. I fell that if it's only overland bound members that I should be fine, it's the locals that would concern me.
I'm pretty certain the place will not be ours, exclusively, based on when I reserved my campsite. There was no inquiry or confirmation that I was with the Overland Bound group, she just assigned me a spot.

Can't wait!
Same!

TerraCrawler

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sweetwater, TN
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Feeny
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK5NL
Just made my reservation and signed up. I just spent a few days in the Ozarks, was a bit warm for my taste and TONS of bugs, but I'll make it work. Coming over from East Tennessee.

Can we get some data on how many have registered?

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Just made my reservation and signed up. I just spent a few days in the Ozarks, was a bit warm for my taste and TONS of bugs, but I'll make it work. Coming over from East Tennessee.

Can we get some data on how many have registered?
I was curious as to expected attendance as well!

The fear of it being warm is what prompted me to get an electric site.. So i can bring a box fan! :p

TerraCrawler

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sweetwater, TN
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Feeny
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK5NL
I was curious as to expected attendance as well!

The fear of it being warm is what prompted me to get an electric site.. So i can bring a box fan! :p
I use a Fantastic Fan Endless Breeze fan in my rooftop tent. I travel everywhere, camp all the time, literally the only time I have ever pulled it out to use it was this week in the Ozarks!!!

It worked fine, but every day/week its getting hotter, so hopefully it won't get too far out of control.

For future guidance, if you're going to do a Southeast event, just look at a BASIC temperature map of the US. It will scream out at you, that AR is NOT the place to do the event in June.

Reactions: Craig M and Iwata77

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Oh, I got electric and I NEVER get electric, fan for sure
Haha, that's 4 so far.. I figure as long as I am going to be stuck in a campground, I may as well make the most of it!

Not sure what my sleeping arangements will be.. I sold my trailer and RTT, so one of two ground tents, or the hammock. Since I'm going alone, after all, I may just sleep in the Jeep.

In fact, I'm likely going to be buying a van tomorrow (going to be doing a 4x4 conversion), but the AC in the one I am looking at is currently out and I'm not sure if I will have the time to fix it before this event.. But if I do, I may just take that as an inaugural run..

Reactions: ntx377 and Iwata77

Iwata77

US Multi Region Local Expert OK,KS, MO, AR, TX
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Tulsa, Tulsa County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Kate
Last Name
Iwata
Member #

Haha, that's 4 so far.. I figure as long as I am going to be stuck in a campground, I may as well make the most of it!

Not sure what my sleeping arangements will be.. I sold my trailer and RTT, so one of two ground tents, or the hammock. Since I'm going alone, after all, I may just sleep in the Jeep.

In fact, I'm likely going to be buying a van tomorrow (going to be doing a 4x4 conversion), but the AC in the one I am looking at is currently out and I'm not sure if I will have the time to fix it before this event.. But if I do, I may just take that as an inaugural run..
My hammock is always in my jeep. But packing a tent, will decide when I get there which route I’m going lol. I like to have options. We can always park a bunch of jeeps together and have a hammock ring[emoji23]

Reactions: ntx377 and Craig M

OKT4RCPL

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Chandler Oklahoma
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5DVC
Made the wife a A/C Cooler testing it out we got it down into the 50's enough to sleep good at night..Hoping to get there early for a site by the river. Be the first time we are using the Gazelle tent since we usually sleep in the 4Runner. Bugs can get bad in the Ozarks be aware of this and yes sticky hot too.

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

Made the wife a A/C Cooler testing it out we got it down into the 50's enough to sleep good at night..Hoping to get there early for a site by the river. Be the first time we are using the Gazelle tent since we usually sleep in the 4Runner. Bugs can get bad in the Ozarks be aware of this and yes sticky hot too.
What is an A/C cooler?

OKT4RCPL

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Chandler Oklahoma
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5DVC
What is an A/C cooler?
I went to youtube and found a video where they took an old styrofoam cooler and you put ice and a fan with vents to make a A/C cooler only cost a few bucks This what I went with there are several to choose from we were able to get it to blow 50 degree air and hope it helps at night.

Last edited:
Reactions: Iwata77

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

The Weather Channel app's extended forecast is telling me that lows should still be in the high 60's and highs in the mid 80's, at least in Ozark (closest I could find), so I think we'll be ok at night. Pretty much the same forecast for the next 2 weeks..Capture3.JPG

It does look like we may get some rain (40% chance every day), so it's probably going to be humid, and the actual heat index may be in the low 90's during the day.

Reactions: Iwata77

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I went to youtube and found a video where they took an old styrofoam cooler and you put ice and a fan with vents to make a A/C cooler only cost a few bucks This what I went with there are several to choose from we were able to get it to blow 50 degree air and hope it helps at night.
These things work ok, and I have used similar in the desert in the past, though the existing humidity may lessen the effect some, similar to effect it has on a swamp cooler.

Iwata77

US Multi Region Local Expert OK,KS, MO, AR, TX
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Tulsa, Tulsa County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Kate
Last Name
Iwata
Member #

The Weather Channel app's extended forecast is telling me that lows should still be in the high 60's and highs in the mid 80's, at least in Ozark (closest I could find), so I think we'll be ok at night. Pretty much the same forecast for the next 2 weeks..View attachment 100557

It does look like we may get some rain (40% chance every day), so it's probably going to be humid, and the actual heat index may be in the low 90's during the day.
As long as we don’t get flooding and tornadoes I’ll be good. I’m so tired of both[emoji849]

ntx377

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Valley View, TX
First Name
Devin
Last Name
Kleppe
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5KAR
Service Branch
USMC Veteran
Have you been camping in these temps lately Chili?