US West Overland Bound Las Vegas Meetup - Our 80 Gets an Extended Range Tank!

• HTML tutorial

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

cool. I think I'll call them for my rig too. How much more extra weight will that full tank add to your GVW? Will we see a V8 swap in the future?

Reactions: Michael

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
cool. I think I'll call them for my rig too. How much more extra weight will that full tank add to your GVW? Will we see a V8 swap in the future?
Yeah that’s going to add some weight! I think most of the time I’ll keep 5-10 gallons in it, which I hear is not noticeable. I think my next engine will be Diesel!

Reactions: Inthewoods

CTO1Mike

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
I should be on my way back from the Mojave tree planting event. Looking forward to say'n hello.

Reactions: Michael

K6ORJ

Rank V

Enthusiast II

Sanger, CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Carpenter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6ORJ
Yeah that’s going to add some weight! I think most of the time I’ll keep 5-10 gallons in it, which I hear is not noticeable. I think my next engine will be Diesel!
Diesel can be a real problem if you plan to leave North America or Western Europe. Newer diesels require clean ultra low sulfur diesel, because of the particulate filter (DPF). One tank of high sulfur diesel will very quickly clog the DPF leading to extremely expensive repairs, and ULSD isn't everywhere in the world yet. If it is there is it fresh and clean after being transferred from container to container, any problems in the fuel will lead to problems in the DPF. A diesel can be reliable in the third world if you do a DPF delete or it never had one in the first place.

Newer diesels really need long run times for the DPF to work properly, back and forth in town to the grocery store doesn't get it hot enough. It is important not to idle a diesel, it was never good to idle a diesel because there a direct injection engine. I think in the early days idling diesels was a thing because they were hard to start, so you didn't shut it down until the work was done. Spraying either in the intake and hoping you can get it to start, but that didn't mean that idling was good for them. The injectors can't spray a nice cone when idling and this leads to all sorts of issues inside of the piston as well as premature injector wear. Never use either in a modern diesel!

In the third wold scooters are everywhere so you can find decent 85 - 87 octane gasoline just about everywhere. with a possible exception of Australia and some extremely remote portions of Africa. Much of the stability problems in gasoline in the states has to do with the fact that much of it is E-10. E10 gasoline contains 10% ethanol, and that is water miscible. When water gets into E10 gasoline it becomes unstable as the ethanol becomes heavier than the gasoline and drops to the bottom of the tank. and your engine sucks in the water/ehtanol mixture clogging the filter and filing the bowl if you are still using a carb. Water enters the fuel condensing out of the air above the fuel in the tank or from leaks in the tank or lines at the station. The remaining gasoline on top of the water will have a low octane rating, because ethanol is used to boost the octane of the gasoline. There is water finding past you can buy to test for water in gasoline, turns florescent green in the presance of water. Gasoline that doesn't have ethanol in it is immiscible, the water remains separate from the fuel and is easily removed. Worry less about brand of fuel and more about how often the fuel is delivered, try to go to stations with a high turn over of fuel. I deliver fuel for a living and I can tell you that all of the brands of fuel are mixed together in the same tank once in these large storage facilities and are sold back and forth between brands to meet demand. The only difference in the brands is the additive that is added as it is loaded on the truck.

When on trail learn to drive with MPG in mind. I drive with a constant eye on the 'instant MPG display', when safe, making speed adjustments to keep it as high as possible. If you have an older vehicle without instant MPG install a vacuum gauge, the vacuum gauge has a direct relationship to the position of the throttle.

Get up to speed quickly and reduce speed slowly. Getting up to speed quickly because the shorter time you are getting 2 mpg the less fuel you will burn. Reducing speed slowly or coasting into a stop because this longer your coasting at an extremely high MPG the less fuel you burn. In my case on trail with long descents I notice leaving my jeep in gear with no throttle can give me the best mileage. If i take it out of gear the jeep stops, and if I even slightly touch the throttle MPG cuts by two-thirds. Now this is in a Jeep WJ with the I6 and automatic transmission, your millage may vary on the last trick.

Gasoline engines burn between a half and one gallon per hour idling and all of those little stops add up. So even if you stop for a moment to read a map, shut it down. This is even worse if you are warming your engine at the start of the day, a cold engine is real un-efficient, it will warm up much faster under load. It's much better to just start it and drive easy going until it warms up. Your overlanding, it should all be easy going anyways.

Off road I have found it seems to do best in 4-high with all differentials including the center diff unlocked, only go in to 4-Lo and or lock differentials when it is necessary. 4-high works well because the front wheels will lift themselves in the sand providing less drag to the vehicle. Don't jeopardize safety for this, if you see an oncoming obstacle stop and get into 4LO before you get into it.

Mark

K6ORJ

Rank V

Enthusiast II

Sanger, CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Carpenter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6ORJ
PS

Top-tier gasoline does have a little more additive than most unbranded gasolines, although some unbranded gasolines can be Top-tier. Most major brands will be Top-tier, but read the pump to confirm this. Some Brands are nothing more than marketing companies so if this is important to you do some homework.

Mark

K6ORJ

Rank V

Enthusiast II

Sanger, CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Carpenter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6ORJ
Diesel Fuel in California, will pretty much all be B5, contining 5% Biodiesel with a few exceptions. This has to do with carbon credit trading, because some of the refinaries in mostly in southern California don't meet clean air standards, so they are alowed to continue operating if they put biodiesel in their diesel fuel sold in California.

A higher consideration than B5 it isn't considered to be diesel fuel, and must be marked on the marquee, stations selling B20 are a perfect example of this. B20 isn't a problem in most engines, if you get it from a major truck stop because they have a separate thank for the biodiesel with blenders to make sure the mixture is constant. Smaller stations will add in the additional biodiesel to the diesel when the load is delivered this can have un-contestant results, I would avoid this when ever possible. The manager should know how they are blending the B20. You do take a 2% to 3% loss in power with B20 because it is just cooking oil with .01% diesel added to it to denature it and other very nasty chemicals to cut emissions and stabilize it in the diesel fuel. There were problems with biodiesel in the fuel in the beginning because the biodiesel acts like a solvent in your fuel lines and tank. Thash that was there on older vehicles would become dislodged and clog the filters but since nearly all the fuel is B5 isn't much of a problem anymore.

Renewable, is considered to be diesel fuel therefore doesn't have to be marked on the marquee. It is the same cooking oil with the oxygen removed, therefor it doesn't have water in it. It has a constancy just like diesel fuel, but it burns cleaner (less soot) and more energy, than petroleum-based diesel fuels. It also doesn't have the storage issues like biodiesel does because there is no water in it. Union 76 stations are already selling renewable, and it will most likely be mandated in California for all stations some day.

Mark

Reactions: Desert Runner

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

If I have nothing else going on, or we're not out getting dirty somewhere, I'll try and make it over there........it's only about 15 min or so from my house.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Looking forward to meeting you guys this weekend! See you there.

M
How does CARB effect this tank? Since you’re picking it up and having it installed in NV. does that bypass the CARB rules?
Don’t ask, don’t tell?
Interpretation is highly nuanced. It is not illegal to have “auxiliary fuel storage”, but if the smog station says “we’re not smogging that”, not much you can do. Our 80 has slightly different smog regs now that it’s a ‘vintage vehicle’ as well.