Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
Started new thread from discussion in Ham Radio call sign check in. We are exploring starting a OB Ham radio net on Echolink. First test run will be this Friday at 6pm PCT. We are going to test out my node which only has bandwidth for 7-8 members to conference in. If we get it organized and there is interest then we will move to a conference server with Echolink. Please respond with interest and suggestions for content and if anyone would like to serve as Net Controller or help with it. Brent BJ7BHN

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
The following members have shown interest or responded to starting the Net in the other thread. If you don't want to be involved in start up test run let me know. All others if not on Echolink, download the software and get running. Its easy but takes a little time to configure and open router sometimes. There is detailed instructions on Echolink site. I will get mine reconfigured for Friday.

@CKayaks
@Prerunner1982
@greydog
@KD7WCD
@Plasmajab
@12poundtest
@ru108
@RyanC
@SW_UT_FJ
@brien
@RyanC
@Overland Commander
@W5ADH
@ArmyofMike
@MikeDer
@Jimmy P

Last edited:

SW_UT_FJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hurricane, UT
First Name
Russ
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7HOS
KA7HOS here. I’m already setup on EchoLink via iPhone/iPad but I’m a total newbie with it...like never made a contact with it. I’ll follow this thread with interest, sounds like a great idea.

Reactions: whiskey7backroads

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Dang that blew up quick after I went to bed last night! @Brentc17, Thanks for jumping on that as fast as you did. I was going to start working on something today, but I walked into a (redacted) storm at work this morning, so it's taken a back seat. I'm in for the net Friday as well. Just let me know the node. I'll also see about trying to come up with a script between now and then. I participate in a couple of local nets, but both are free for all check in, which I doubt will work too well for this, because my memory ain't what it used to be.

ETA: I'll also check my bandwidth when I get home tonight and see how many I can squeeze in.

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
KA7HOS here. I’m already setup on EchoLink via iPhone/iPad but I’m a total newbie with it...like never made a contact with it. I’ll follow this thread with interest, sounds like a great idea.
Let me know if you have time to test it. I can get on echolink and we can connect together to see it work. I am Pacific time and this evening later would work or mornings. You can also go to Echotest conference and record and play back. If you can hear yourself on the playback its working fine

Last edited:

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I'm interested in future nets, but not likely to be able to make it for this Friday net. Thanks for organizing this!

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
I may be able to attend. I'm a newbie to echolink but have been wanting to try it out. I may even see if my open spot will connect so I can actually use a radio.

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
I may be able to attend. I'm a newbie to echolink but have been wanting to try it out. I may even see if my open spot will connect so I can actually use a radio.
I spoke too soon, openspot, at least version 1, can't do echolink or allstar.

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
Thanks @RyanC We can schedule a time before the NET to test it between us or you can go onto Echolink and connect to the Echolink Test conference. It records your transmit and then if its working it plays back the recording. If you hear yourself on the recording then its working properly

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
Thanks @RyanC We can schedule a time before the NET to test it between us or you can go onto Echolink and connect to the Echolink Test conference. It records your transmit and then if its working it plays back the recording. If you hear yourself on the recording then its working properly
The test works, I've just never made a contact it even tried to use it on a repeater.

SW_UT_FJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hurricane, UT
First Name
Russ
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7HOS
Let me know if you have time to test it. I can get on echolink and we can connect together to see it work. I am Pacific time and this evening later would work or mornings. You can also go to Echotest conference and record and play back. If you can hear yourself on the playback its working fine
That would be great, I’d love to test and make a contact via EchoLink.. I’ve done the audio test and it played back my voice. Question, is your node only visible when it’s active? Is your node your call sign? I don’t want to detour this thread with a bunch of noob questions

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Ok, I've got a draft of a script that I shamelessly copied from QSL.net and then modified. Some of the formatting is thrown off, but its readable. Willing to shoot it to someone for critique when you've got time to look it over.

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
That would be great, I’d love to test and make a contact via EchoLink.. I’ve done the audio test and it played back my voice. Question, is your node only visible when it’s active? Is your node your call sign? I don’t want to detour this thread with a bunch of noob questions
it is my call sign KJ7BHN and I am currently logged. You can try it if you have time. I will be on for about 15 min then have to head to work. You can use the Chat also if you don't want to use all the posting

Reactions: SW_UT_FJ

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
it is my call sign KJ7BHN and I am currently logged. You can try it if you have time. I will be on for about 15 min then have to head to work. You can use the Chat also if you don't want to use all the posting
95 despite all of my background noise. Thank you.

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
Ok, I've got a draft of a script that I shamelessly copied from QSL.net and then modified. Some of the formatting is thrown off, but its readable. Willing to shoot it to someone for critique when you've got time to look it over.
That's great. I am going to head to work in a min but look forward to seeing it. I have a couple also. Did you say your already hooked up with Echolink?

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
That's great. I am going to head to work in a min but look forward to seeing it. I have a couple also. Did you say your already hooked up with Echolink?
I have it on my phone and will try and have it on my laptop by Friday night.