Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Wallace
Member #

Welcome!

I'm Michael and I accidentally created Overland Bound. I'm a backwoods country bumpkin from a town of 360 people. Seriously, my grade school was 70 kids TOTAL. My mom was the school nurse. We walked to the country store a mile away, and bought groceries "on the tab". The store owner knew the School District paid on the first of the month and my mom got paid every 30 days. It was fine. There was trust.

Now, I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. To this day I do not lock my car, and we leave the front door of our home unlocked. I assume noble intent.

Growing up, my Dad was a U.S. Forest Ranger. He worked in the Sierras in the lookouts watching for forest fires. His love for the outdoors created my childhood, and natural comfort with surviving in the great outdoors. We back-packed, we went for walks to review plant names and uses. We hunted. Nature was everything.

I lost touch with this connection as I grew older. My career became my primary focus. I worked for Paramount Pictures, Electronic Arts and ran my own businesses in digital entertainment, it created a deficit that was building.

My 30s brought on marriage, 2 (awesome) kids, and then divorce. I found myself at the age of 40, divorced, My father passed at the same time, and I was unemployed. I was grasping for my roots. I took my 3 year-old son and 5 year old daughter to visit my hometown. It was a good, necessary anchor. On the drive home, my fast-paced-life-bought BMW 325i convertible got stuck in the snow. I watched my gas gauge go down to empty with the heater on, and wondered how I would keep my kids warm when the engine died. Luckily, CHP rescued us before that happened. It all came together in that moment. I needed to be comfortable again in the great outdoors. I would ALWAYS have a capable vehicle to get me there. The low point created an involuntary need to get away. I reacted like a primitive animal. I needed to escape. To connect with the great outdoors. Overland Bound was born.

I bought the FJ80, threw shit in the back, and drove into the Sierras. I was ill-prepared, but relied on what I had learned growing up. The result was absolute freedom. To this day, I do one solo trip a year. I bark at the trees, howl at the moon, and eliminate all stimulus besides me, my rig, and nature. I realized not everyone is as comfortable or knowledgeable as me in the great outdoors, and I have taken it for granted. Everyone needs to feel that connection to truly live.

I met Ms. Overland Bound, and she became a natural partner in all things adventure. She got to know me as a man who demanded this life, and loved me all the more for it (Corrie can tell you her story about her love for Overlanding.)

I want as many people as possible to experience self-sufficiency in the great outdoors. I want to make it accessible and attainable for everyone, without feeling easy. You can do it, but the very nature of existing off the grid makes us human. It should feel challenging, because it is. You can do it. Overland Bound will become as big as we can make it as a community. I believe it's possible to make a positive change in the world, and I believe we have started. I want as many people as possible to feel the freedom and self-reliance only a connection with the great outdoors can bring. Here is what Overland Bound believes:
  1. Overlanding is: "Vehicle Dependent Travel". Nothing else. We will not further define "overlanding".
  2. It doesn't matter what you drive: The only requirement of an overland vehicle is that it serves the job required, safely.
  3. We believe a connection with the uncivilized, unpredictable, and awe-inspiring wilderness is essential to human existence. Adventure is not optional.
  4. We leave it better than we found it.
  5. The requirements of the trip define "Dependable", and we take that very seriously.
  6. You are an Overlander. Overlanding is for everyone who has exploration and adventure in their heart, or who need to be reinvigorated by connecting with nature.
  7. Nature is unforgiving. You must rise to a certain level of personal awareness to survive. Sound right? Overlanding is for you.
  8. Encourage uncomplicated ventures into the great outdoors. Don't over pack.
  9. Be prepared, and understand basic requirements.
  10. Question folks, to be sure they are aware of what is required. Don't assume. Help.
  11. Share without reservation, trip locations, and information.
  12. We DO NOT engage in "this is better than that" competitions.
  13. We DO give advice about how to make your vehicle ready for what you need. Share knowledge.
  14. Humility. "I don't know" is a great answer.
  15. We don’t brag about exploits at the expense of others.
  16. We support those seeking answers, understanding we all start somewhere.
  17. We engage in the smallest of interactions.
  18. We have fun.
These are the core values I want Overland Bound to stand for, and I’m excited to keep spreading the word about the overlanding lifestyle. I want you to spread the word too. You are saving lives.

Thanks for being a part of this journey!

Outfit & Explore

Podcast: "The Beginning"
Simply put, I'm excited to be a part of the Overland bound community!

VanTrip

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Reno, NV
First Name
KC
Last Name
Mares
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7IFS
Wow, that was a wonderful intro. I've been Overlanding since I was five years old and on my own doing it since a teenager and so glad to finally have connected with this community and look forward to sharing knowledge, experiences and fun with you all. Keep exploring and challenging.

Morehouse Expedition

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Utah, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Morehouse
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Navy
Thank you for sharing your story of how you stared this wonderful organization!!! I too got too involved with the day to day grind and forgot what I love the most. The great outdoors!!! I grew up camping hunting fishing hiking. I feel alive when I’m in the mountain among the trees. It’s hard to describe but it sounds like you know.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I love your intro. I went to a school with 300 kids 1-12 and rode a school bus 36 miles each way to get there. Back in my time, kids worked on the farm along with the adults. I grew up operating and repairing machinery, welding and fabricating from 6 years old and rebuilt my first gas engine at 9 and my first diesel at 10. We were so far out we only got 2 tv stations and then, only at night. I memorized every National Geographic I could lay my hands on. My favorite article was the guy who did the trip from the US to the tip of South America in a Amphicar.

Growing up it the desolation of West Texas radically changed when we moved to Walden, Colorado at the age of 10. I was still sitting on a tractor, but I could see the mountains at a distance. I read everything I could on back country survival and exploration and solo hiked most of the mountains in Northern Colorado and Southern Wyoming as a kid. While it was a shock going from desert to 8,000 ft elevation with hundreds of inches of snow and -60F temps, moving to a big school (900 in my graduating class) was another shock. I never lost my love of the mountains and exploring. Between racing motorcycles and backpacking, I have worn out my body and knees and after 16 orthopedic surgeries, no longer can hike so I converted to vehicular exploration. My wife and I have explored the Rocky Mountains from Mexico to Canada as professional photographers on the side.

I am finally getting both knees replaced and hope to be able to start hiking again. I need it for my sanity.

kkriewald

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Kurtis
Last Name
Kriewald
Member #

I grew up in the Cascade mountains of north central Washington, that's still home to me even though I live further west. looking forward to getting out of my area and covering more ground. Overland bound has been inspiring and entertaining for a long time now. very glad to finally be part of it.

Reactions: Eric W.

Dixoff

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Pittsburgh, PA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Dixon
Member #

Luckily, my great grandfather built in 1953 a cabin on the Allegheny river near Oil city, PA. That was the beginning for me all the game lands there and wildlife especially the river which the cabin was riverfront to. Many years later and many, many trips still to that camp firms my need to be in nature. I am excited to be a part of this community and to explore more the beauty that is nature.

Reactions: Eric W.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Black Gap is awesome! It's not technical, but it's the toughest trail in the park.
That was tough? Not to make light of it, but it seemed pretty straighforward. The only spot I couldn't see clearly was at about 18:15, due to the shadows.

Last edited:

Viking Justice

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Justice
Member #

Loved the "nuts and bolts" welcome. I'm looking forward to getting involved. Been building up my rig, little by little, since I got it two years ago. Last year, my wife got her own rig, too. We're out here in San Antonio, but looking forward to venturing out further and further with each trip. Thank you for letting me become part of this community.

donj51

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Garner, IA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0WND
Service Branch
Navy
Thanks Michael,

I grew up in a small town in Iowa and also to this day dont lock all my doors. I do lock the company truck because of the tools and they require me to protect their equipment.

When I was doing projects in Canada, I was shown that most of the population of several towns do not lock their doors. They are not afraid, they are welcoming.

This brings me to where I am today, a trusting in humanity person who has ran 6 marathons and 27 1/2 marathons and been all over the worls and believe everyone wants the same for their family and community and charish it and will protect it usually.

I hope to meet the people who enjoy this life hobby as I am starting out and havent done this since my early 20's.

Lind Regards,

Don

enguneer

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Colorado
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Paulson
I feel like I just found something I didn't know I was looking for...

We chose RVing as our family vacation strategy when our kids were very young--bought a simple Jayco travel trailer and have built a trophy case of magnets & memories from national parks. Priceless! But the kids are in their late teens now, and getting out for those RV trips is not as simple as it used to be....and I'm wilting inside. We NEED to get out (ok, *I* need!), but we need it to be simpler, lighter, faster and more able to get into the back country...with or without the kids, who are daily growing more and more independent of mom & dad.

The tow vehicle has been a 2000 Yukon XL 2500 (6.0L, 4.10's, 4L80E), which I supercharged a few years ago to help with towing the trailer over the mountains in Colorado. Long story there...major cooling issues which I finally got a handle on last year, but aspects of that impact the overlanding plans.

The bug that really bit me and got me on the journey here was an elk hunting trip last year. I had to make my own way out to the camp that I'd been invited to. I was warned about the road to get there, but you never know what someone else's definition of "rough" is! Turns out it was pretty gnarly indeed....but I made it in, and made it out again with my Yukon, mostly in one piece. In the middle of it I swore I'd never do it again...scared to death! But once it was over, I was hopelessly hooked on the journey. Ball joints and hubs were shot, but repairs (including a 3" lift) are done and now I'm on a mission to go back, go deeper and go longer. Over the last few months I've made several smaller purchases, all aimed at giving me backcountry/offroad camping capability, without the trailer. One of those random internet searches led me here.

Reading my welcome email and watching Michael's video just a few minutes ago gave me chills from head to toe. I need help and wisdom for a lot, but I've learned a lot too, and I'm more than happy to share what I've got and what I've learned. This is exactly the kind of "no judgments or BS, just help & kindness" kind of place that I love to be a part of.

You can't imagine how happy I am to have found Overland Bound. Thanks for the welcome!!

tmswell

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Campbell, CA, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Stebbins
Member #

Truly honored to be joining and I'm seeing this as pledging to make a difference. Thanks for everyone contributing to Overlanding!

mattc94

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Aberdeen, NC, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Corcoran
Member #

Grew up in the suburbs of NYC and was always more concerned with fast cars or impressive gas mileage. A few months ago I came to a similar realization and traded in my little RWD for a 5th Gen 4Runner. While researching ways to make my car a bit more capable, I stumbled upon this community and since then have dove right in. My fiancee and are planning a cross country move in a few months and hope use the various perspectives from this community to make it a trip of a lifetime.

Reactions: amREADY

amREADY

Rank 0

Contributor I

Victoria, BC
First Name
G
Last Name
Goss
Thanks for the add.
I've been hesitant to use the word overlanding as it often triggers some to say, well, you haven't driven around the planet 3X in a Land Cruiser or ____ so how dare you use that term.

Great values and principles. Great intro vid!

Thanks again. Looking forward to connecting and learning.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Welcome @amREADY

as you will see this forum is kind of split up by region to help members connect with each other in person. You live in Canada West - Interim @Jedi is your regional Director if you have any questions give him a shout.

some quick tips

Check out the Members Map to find members in your region

look at the Overland Bound Meetups page and select your region to see the events and get togethers in your area

There is a BC Overland Rally this summer June 25th to the 28th. Registration starts soon, and I hear it fills up fast. For more information on the rally

Again welcome, glad to have you aboard

Corrie

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500
Supporter

Protector II

Placer County, California, United States
First Name
Corrie
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Thanks for the add.
I've been hesitant to use the word overlanding as it often triggers some to say, well, you haven't driven around the planet 3X in a Land Cruiser or ____ so how dare you use that term.

Great values and principles. Great intro vid!

Thanks again. Looking forward to connecting and learning.

This is *exactly* why OB was created. :)

Thank you for being here!

Status
Not open for further replies.