Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
So, I created a mock up of "Side 2" of the first Challenge Coin. Side 1 will be the Overland Bound logo, just like our emblems. My thinking is that we have multiple coins. Ambassador, Innovator, Adventurer, Challenger. What do you think?

Some of the elements:
  1. Compass = exploration
  2. Cross = safety
  3. Outer tread = tire
  4. Bead locks = Be prepared
  5. Tree & Mountain = The great outdoors

View attachment 6510
A quick comment on design...on the outer element representing the tire (writing at bottom), I love the tread but I'd keep the outside tire to a single relief. I think this will make it more obvious that it's tire/wheel assembly.

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

So, I created a mock up of "Side 2" of the first Challenge Coin. Side 1 will be the Overland Bound logo, just like our emblems. My thinking is that we have multiple coins. Ambassador, Innovator, Adventurer, Challenger. What do you think?

Some of the elements:
  1. Compass = exploration
  2. Cross = safety
  3. Outer tread = tire
  4. Bead locks = Be prepared
  5. Tree & Mountain = The great outdoors

View attachment 6510
Great design, I love it!

Reactions: Michael

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
In terms of design, don't forget about color. Most coins, not all, are painted multiple colors. A tire can be black, lettering white, trees green etc. I'm sure, like most things, that'll add to the cost, but my understanding is OB is about Quality.

Theses coins are going to be nice. Like the emblem, it'll be something that will set OB apart from other similar groups.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
In terms of design, don't forget about color. Most coins, not all, are painted multiple colors. A tire can be black, lettering white, trees green etc. I'm sure, like most things, that'll add to the cost, but my understanding is OB is about Quality.

Theses coins are going to be nice. Like the emblem, it'll be something that will set OB apart from other similar groups.
Working on this today! Thinking the OB emblem side will be monochromatic and the Ambassador side will be color.

Reactions: WJ - Firefly

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
OK, here is a color mockup. The gradient grey would be high-polish. @ce4460 I agree eliminating the outside ring under the tread would make it look more like a tire, but I want the bumps to be a reference, without it being literally a tire. I think the ring makes it look more like a coin and balances out the other polished silver areas if that make sense. OK - fire away!

AmbassadorCoinColor.png

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I think that's great. I spent some time yesterday with designs for possible coins and know how hard it is to work out an idea. Great job on this one. They'll sell like hot cakes and be prized as an acknowledgment.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I'm really liking this whole idea of different challenge coins. First design looks really nice.
Cool! We have 4 main "tracks" as a concept, to promote different aspects of our core principles:
  1. Ambassador - encourage others.
  2. Innovator - grow knowledge, add to the overland brain trust, provide solutions
  3. Adventurer - add new locations and destinations to the community
  4. Challenger - take on extreme challenges, so the community can learn through your experience
There should be a coin for each, and a very special, cannot be purchased coin for individuals who have earned (not bought) all four category coins.

Mud at the wall.

M

pseebald

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate I

Brookings, OR
Member #

This is a great idea. I'd love to support the concept and idea. It's just another motivation to get people outside and exploring their own backyards.

Dunco

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Warwick Queensland Autralia
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK4FABX
Kool idea having the coins heres a random idea seeing as OB in becoming a global thing what about having a country specific one that you can earn like a US, AUS, EUR

Last edited:

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
More and unique coins are cool. You may get Americans want to trade with someone in the EU. But at the same time, we have to start somewhere an "Ambassador " is a fine spot. Further, since OB is global, all coins should work everywhere. For example, the Ambassador coin will work as designed anywhere. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's right.

Reactions: Michael

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

I can't wait to start TAPPING that coin at an event/gathering (should make a nice sound on the side of a mug) !!!!! Good times!!!!!!
That's pretty cool! My cousin who is a Navy Cheif office gave me one as a present and that was pretty cool of him. So now when we hang out I'll slap it on the table and he'll get me a drink and vice versa. Lol

Last edited: