Our TaxaOutdoor Woolly Bear Camp Trailer and our adventures!

• HTML tutorial

Traveler I

Just ordered new Grizzly 40qt cooler. Getting an early start on gearing up for 2018 Overland season.
Next is to start planning additional electrical.
- extend tongue by 12-18"
- add the max coupler
I think I am going to up that on my priority list for mine, am tired of trying to back that damn thing up, it has a mind of its own.

One day I will get around to getting a bigger tongue box so I can get a bigger battery, inverter & charger/charge/controller all in there. I did break down and invested in a Generator after years of resisting it recently and it has already came in handy on a 5 day trip into deep woods so my solar setup was all but useless.

As for heating the tent I'd say either an electric blanket or one of the Mr Heater Buddy's, just get a carbon monoxide alarm if you go the heater route.

Reactions: Bueller

Bueller

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, BC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Buell
Member #

Grizzly40 Cooler just arrived today!!! Would have liked the 60, and it would have fit. Just wouldn't be able to open the lid while it was on the slide. Too bad! Can't wait to use it!
FH4JmqKhRUqdPhR9Hz7%dw.jpg WHBoaeqvTk6ruR5+EPGl0Q.jpg

Traveler I

How does your WB tow behind your JKU? My XJ is giving me some concern for longer trips as I can tell it is going to need some maintenance soon like a new power steering pump, which I don't want to throw money at yet so am thinking of using our JK (lifted 2" on 33x12.5's with 3.73 gears, 2015 so has the trans cooler stock), just need to measure to see if it needs a drop hitch and throw on a 4 way to 7 way wiring adapter then it would be good to go, am just concerned about the short wheelbase but the WB is so light I can't see it being that much of an issue if at all. I tend to worry too much about such things.

Bueller

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, BC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Buell
Member #

How does your WB tow behind your JKU? My XJ is giving me some concern for longer trips as I can tell it is going to need some maintenance soon like a new power steering pump, which I don't want to throw money at yet so am thinking of using our JK (lifted 2" on 33x12.5's with 3.73 gears, 2015 so has the trans cooler stock), just need to measure to see if it needs a drop hitch and throw on a 4 way to 7 way wiring adapter then it would be good to go, am just concerned about the short wheelbase but the WB is so light I can't see it being that much of an issue if at all. I tend to worry too much about such things.
I have a 2014 JKU with the trailer tow package 3.73 gears and 7 pin wiring. I hardly notice the trailer when pulling it. When the bikes are on the back end of the trailer and I’ve got 40L of water in the trailer, you notice it a bit more, but not really.
I have 2” lift and 34” tires and I think I’m using a 2” drop hitch. It sits pretty level!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Traveler I

I have 2” lift and 34” tires and I think I’m using a 2” drop hitch. It sits pretty level!
I finally measured ours, the coupler on the WB is at 18.25" and the hitch on the JK without any load on it is 21.75", a 3.25" drop would be closest for those figures but once you figure in tongue weight and the dogs in the back of the JK then I think a 2" drop would probably be about right. I guess I will try the 2", hook it up and see how it looks before our next trip then see if I need to exchange it, at least it is quick and easy to swap out.

Reactions: Bueller

Traveler I

Have you had your awning out in the rain yet? It looks like it wouldn't keep the galley area dry as the rain would just pour off the tent or have you made some modifications since?

Bueller

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, BC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Buell
Member #

Have you had your awning out in the rain yet? It looks like it wouldn't keep the galley area dry as the rain would just pour off the tent or have you made some modifications since?
Not yet. Haven’t been out with it since October as we have cold winters and haven’t gotten set up for winter camping yet.
But yes, rain will roll of the tent
Even if the awning were tight against the tent, rain would still roll off.
Only thing to do would be to somehow have the edge of the tent fly up over the awning.
I’ll work on it once the snow and ice is gone

Bueller

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, BC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Buell
Member #

Finally got some time to see how this tongue box might work on my WoollyBear trailer from Taxa Outdoors. Had to move the tongue jack forward about 1/2” which is the most I can move it. The actual receiver hitch is unfortunately welded on (for now). Anyways, the box fits very nicely. The width is perfect. The lid opens nicely.
Now I have three things to work out:
1. How to mount it so that it is stable and rugged. There is no triangle tongue.
2. The jack handle can’t rotate to raise and lower.........that’s an issue! So I need to figure out the jack. I was thinking of changing it to one with a wider wheel that moves on soft ground without sinking so much. Now I may need to look at all of it.
3. Battery fits inside with lots of room. I picked up an inverted as well. So I need to start to plan my electrical system. I want USB and cig plug style outlets in the rtt. As well as solar charging system.

So, next weekend I’ve got lots to work on!

Bueller

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, BC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Buell
Member #

A little organizing of the Woolly Bear galley to fit in the new Coleman stove. Going to start looking for some different containers to put things in. Spring is almost here! Excited to get ready for a camping trip soon!

Bueller

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, BC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Buell
Member #

Took my awning rack to be powder coated this week. Just picked it up. Looks awesome. Almost a perfect match to the rack/platform on the Woolly Bear. Mounted it back onto the trailer and then added our Guinness bottle opener we picked up in Ireland last fall.

Reactions: Hafaday and Ozzie H

brucecanada

Rank 0

Traveler I

Ontario
Great looking setup; really enjoyed your posts. Any chance of you posting some close-up pictures of the rack system used for the RTT? I'm looking at purchasing a wollybear myself, but there are no dealers in southern ontario -- closest dealer is in the US or Montreal so it may be a sight unseen transaction.

Bueller

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, BC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Buell
Member #

Great looking setup; really enjoyed your posts. Any chance of you posting some close-up pictures of the rack system used for the RTT? I'm looking at purchasing a wollybear myself, but there are no dealers in southern ontario -- closest dealer is in the US or Montreal so it may be a sight unseen transaction.
I will try and grab some for you, but it is under the rtt. It essentially is two Thule cross bars mounted using Thule posts bolted to the deck. I think Taxa is working on a new set up for the 2018 model that has the tent up higher on Thule racks so that an awning can be mounted. Eliminating the need for something like I built

Bueller

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, BC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Buell
Member #

While I’m trying to get the trailer ready for the upcoming season, needed to start with some planning of what and where we want to go in 2018!!

Reactions: Steve and Hafaday

Bueller

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, BC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Buell
Member #

Here’s a couple of Pics if the Thule rack that the rtt is mounted on

Bueller

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, BC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Buell
Member #

Finally found some time to work on the trailer tongue. Cut off the welded on coupler and then added a 24” two inch receiver and bolted on. I’d like to weld it on, but don’t have the tools. May look into it. Trailer is only 800lbs loaded up, maybe 900 max, so I’m pretty sure it’ll be ok. Then added the max coupler. Now I’ve got room to add on the tongue box for electrical. That’s the next Saturday project after stripping down the mods to my JKU. My new JLU Rubicon will be here in a week!!!

Reactions: Steve

Bueller

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, BC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Buell
Member #

Was able to spend some time on the trailer this last week.
Mounted the tongue box to the trailer. My daughter (she loves working with me) and I then installed the battery, a blue sea fuse box, master power on/off, a Genius 10 amp batter charger with plug mounted on the outside of the box. And a 2000w inverter. That will have to do for the upcoming May long weekend.

I have a switch panel that will be installed next and then I’ll be running LED lights in a variety of locations. Solar will be coming soon. Probably overkill, but it’s fun to tinker.

We also ordered a new SunDogX RTT from Wild Coast Tents in eastern Canada. Same sleeping area as our Tepui, but it has the over hang area over the ladder and comes with the annex. This will be where the kids sleep when we all go out. Plus, a place to put a little buddy heater too.

Selling the Tepui Kukenam.

Here’s some pics of the tongue box.

Bueller

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, BC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Buell
Member #

Sold the tepui. Sundog from Wild Coast Tents has arrived at the shipping company. Can’t pick it up until next Thursday as I’m travelling!

Bueller

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, BC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Buell
Member #

Wild coast tent SunDogX has arrived and I’m installing it today! Pics to come!!