Our TaxaOutdoor Woolly Bear Camp Trailer and our adventures!

• HTML tutorial

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

Hey Bueller, congrats man on your marriage. Even better having both of you into overlanding! All the best [emoji323][emoji322][emoji109]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Bueller

Bueller

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, BC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Buell
Member #

Thanks guys! She's a pretty special lady!
I think I've got her convinced to do a BC-Washington-Oregon-NoCal trip and then find a different route back. Not sure how long we will have yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: tom

W4P

Rank III

Advocate II

Sudbury
After we finished our tour of some wineries, we decided to head home on the east side of Okanogan Lake from Naramata to Kelowna via the Chute Lake FSR and then down onto the KVR trail. It was amazing. Some fantastic views. We discovered an old "resort" at Chute Lake. Right out of the 60's. We have been in an extreme fire hazard in southern bc this summer, so we took care to not go too fast causing any kind of spark. It's so dry in our back country right now.
We had a great time exploring and the first time we had the Woolly Bear of the paved roads. She performed very well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great rig! Lucky man with over landing lady! Was that a prenup arrangement?ha!yes jealous!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Beee and Bueller

Bueller

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, BC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Buell
Member #

Now why didn't I think of that? Did you do that as a standalone structure that just sits in there? I'd be tempted to add a steel shelf bolted in.
Hey, welcome to OB.
I actually used a two sides foam 3M tape on the vertical supports for the shelf. Then I have screwed the shelf into the support from above. Added a lip across the from to help stop things from sliding a bit. I might look at some kind of netting across the top of the shelf as I found on our little off road trip, thing moved around a bit, but not too much.

Traveler I

Hey, welcome to OB.
I actually used a two sides foam 3M tape on the vertical supports for the shelf. Then I have screwed the shelf into the support from above. Added a lip across the from to help stop things from sliding a bit. I might look at some kind of netting across the top of the shelf as I found on our little off road trip, thing moved around a bit, but not too much.
Speaking of netting be very careful what you add to the top left shelf of the galley and that you secure anything you put there when in transit, I had something fall while in transit that got stuck right where it prevented me from opening the hatch, had to damage the container by forcing the latch open but if it was something more solid stuck there then I would have been in a real pickle.

Bueller

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, BC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Buell
Member #

Speaking of netting be very careful what you add to the top left shelf of the galley and that you secure anything you put there when in transit, I had something fall while in transit that got stuck right where it prevented me from opening the hatch, had to damage the container by forcing the latch open but if it was something more solid stuck there then I would have been in a real pickle.
Yep, just had that happen on the last trip

Traveler I

I’ll answer your electrical question over here as it looks like Taxa’s WordPress might have been compromised. The charging while driving depends on your tow vehicle and how it is wired, if you just hooked up a 4 way to a 7 way adapter without any additional wiring then it won’t charge at all, you would need to run a hot wire from your car battery to the black wire on the 7 way, then you can optionally hook it up to a relay triggered by an ignition source or just have it always hot, you should also install a circuit breaker (30 or 40a can’t recall) in that circuit, then the WB battery will charge.

For an inverter you want it as close to the battery as possible so you may want to look into a modified battery box to wire all that up. All I have done so far is run separate 10ga wires (both neg+pos) from the battery under/through the frame into the rear drawer area for the fridge. I do plan to wire in a battery charger and potentially get one that has dual input so the charging from the vehicle can be regulated as deep cycle batteries do better with a charge controller. I also want to put a bigger battery on there, which means a different battery box so I may get fancy with that but just don’t want to add too much tongue weight so have to be careful with that.

Bueller

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, BC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Buell
Member #

I’ll answer your electrical question over here as it looks like Taxa’s WordPress might have been compromised. The charging while driving depends on your tow vehicle and how it is wired, if you just hooked up a 4 way to a 7 way adapter without any additional wiring then it won’t charge at all, you would need to run a hot wire from your car battery to the black wire on the 7 way, then you can optionally hook it up to a relay triggered by an ignition source or just have it always hot, you should also install a circuit breaker (30 or 40a can’t recall) in that circuit, then the WB battery will charge.

For an inverter you want it as close to the battery as possible so you may want to look into a modified battery box to wire all that up. All I have done so far is run separate 10ga wires (both neg+pos) from the battery under/through the frame into the rear drawer area for the fridge. I do plan to wire in a battery charger and potentially get one that has dual input so the charging from the vehicle can be regulated as deep cycle batteries do better with a charge controller. I also want to put a bigger battery on there, which means a different battery box so I may get fancy with that but just don’t want to add too much tongue weight so have to be careful with that.

Thanks. That Damn TAXAOutdoors Forum, it could be awesome if they would fix the format and server.
Thanks for answering - I have the full 7 pin trailer to jeep - so it should be charging.
I'm looking for a proper tongue box that I could do a full electrical set up and put my 5lb propane tank into. Its a small area, so may be tough. It will be added to the winter project list.
Thanks,
Mike

Bueller

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, BC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Buell
Member #

Finally installed my Shadyboy awning onto the WoollyBear today. I've had the awning for a while, but needed to come up with a way to mount it so that I could walk under it as the trailer is just under 5' tall.
So I designed a rack that could be mounted on to the deck of the trailer behind the tent. It needed to be high enough that I could still get totes of gear onto the deck under the rack. And I wanted to be able to slide the awning in for travel, and slide out when in camp to fit around the tent. I took my design to a local aluminum weld shop in Vernon and he had some good ideas to add to my design. Type/size of square tubing and the tightening bolt idea (see pics) that are on the sliding part.
I will powder coat this rack over the winter to match the black deck of the trailer.
The awning when closed into its carrier is 49" long. When opened it is 10' long and 6' wide. Perfect to cover our kitchen area.
The awning carrier holds the awning and all the poles.
It can be set up without any guide lines or poles. But if it's windy, the guidelines will help keep it in place. The quality of the fabric is very good. The seams and gussets for the poles seem well done. Time will tell. I won't get into the details of the awning set up, you can see them at www.shadyboy.com All the parts are made in the USA and assembled in Vancouver, Canada.
Here are some pictures.

Bueller

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, BC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Buell
Member #

All set to head home! Test of the stability of the new awning and rack at highway speeds. All went well. Nothing moved after 6 hours of driving 120km/h

Traveler I

Very nice! That gives me some ideas like using a reinforced L shape instead of the box and to make it height adjustable for transit, it looks like you could get away with not having the slide out and just have it permanently in that position as it would only just jut out past the RTT and the WB is narrow to begin with so a little extra width shouldn't be a problem.

How did you get stickers to stick to the powder coat? I tried some spray adhesive and just resulted in making a mess. How do you have the shovel mounted on the side? May have to copy that.

Bueller

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, BC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Buell
Member #

Very nice! That gives me some ideas like using a reinforced L shape instead of the box and to make it height adjustable for transit, it looks like you could get away with not having the slide out and just have it permanently in that position as it would only just jut out past the RTT and the WB is narrow to begin with so a little extra width shouldn't be a problem.

How did you get stickers to stick to the powder coat? I tried some spray adhesive and just resulted in making a mess. How do you have the shovel mounted on the side? May have to copy that.
Hi,
Didn't do anything to out the stickers on. Just made sure the surface was clean. They have adhered well, even thru dirt and dust, and most recently heavy rain. The shovel is mounted with some grips - got them on amazon - called Quick Fist Clamp -
Did you notice the forum has been removed from the Taxa website??

Bueller

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, BC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Buell
Member #

Just ordered new Grizzly 40qt cooler. Getting an early start on gearing up for 2018 Overland season.
Next is to start planning additional electrical.
- extend tongue by 12-18"
- add the max coupler
- add a tongue box for Battery and electrical set up (maybe the 5lb propane tank)
- look at adding some LED lighting on the sides and for back up lights
- Would like to add some USB and power outlets up in the tent
- Also going to look at heating ideas for in the tent so the season can be extended

Now to the amazon site!