Boulder, CO, USA
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8OJK
I took a few day wilderness first aid, and then later down the road I spent a week to get WFR certed. Taking the WFR course was such a huge help, especially because I was a mountain bike instructor at the time. It’s also helped when I’ve crashed on a bike pretty bad, and I could tell if I needed to find an urgent care center or not [emoji23]

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

Perfect explanation of the comparison between 'Trauma and First Aid'.

Regarding trauma, starting with the absolute vital areas and key injury and assessing down from there. This is essential because most of the time the patient could be in shock and only notice / feel one area of injury. Through examining / quickly scanning the entire body head to tow with addition of exposure / medications etc. you are acquiring a greater amount of information about the patients status. This could ultimately be used to relay to EMT's who arrive later; providing them with a status report. You never know when or if the patient could loose consciousness there for gathering as much info as possible can assist with the proper medical attention. Thanks for the vid! - Nick

DrRobert

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bristow, VA
Member #

Its second episode time! This time, Chris is talking Trauma vs First aid, and some of the mindset and med kit implications.

Hey Chris, thanks for taking the time to make these videos. Keep up the good work! The area of "emergency kits" has been a hobby of mine for a while and I'm constantly tweaking mine based on things I read or see (or experience). I really appreciated the video you had about what's in your "trauma" bag. I totally agree that you never can have enough gauze and compression bandages! The same goes for latex gloves and glasses...been there. In this video (trauma vs. first aid), It would have been nice to have a couple of props handy; namely, your trauma kit and your first aid kit. You don't have to go into great detail about either - but it would be nice to point them out and give a short summary of their contents without dwelling on it. For those of us that are novices having a visual aid can help create a frame of reference for what we're trying to do. For example, for the longest time I was struggling with the idea that my trauma kit and first aid kit were packed together in the same case. Making them separate, which I suppose should have been obvious, was a great idea.

If you're taking suggestions for videos (or creating a post here), I'd be interested in your guidance on where to get a) first aid training and b) basic trauma training without diving into getting an EMT certification. Your ABCs (DE) are useful but in my experience there's a big difference between watching a video (even a very informative one) and actually practicing how to splint a limb or use a triangle bandage. Most training that I've seen is for people that want to become EMTs and it's a big investment and time (and money). Is there some other path for those of us that are novices but want to know more?

Thanks again!

KJOHNSTER

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Oakland, CA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YYR
Hey Chris, thanks for taking the time to make these videos. Keep up the good work! The area of "emergency kits" has been a hobby of mine for a while and I'm constantly tweaking mine based on things I read or see (or experience). I really appreciated the video you had about what's in your "trauma" bag. I totally agree that you never can have enough gauze and compression bandages! The same goes for latex gloves and glasses...been there. In this video (trauma vs. first aid), It would have been nice to have a couple of props handy; namely, your trauma kit and your first aid kit. You don't have to go into great detail about either - but it would be nice to point them out and give a short summary of their contents without dwelling on it. For those of us that are novices having a visual aid can help create a frame of reference for what we're trying to do. For example, for the longest time I was struggling with the idea that my trauma kit and first aid kit were packed together in the same case. Making them separate, which I suppose should have been obvious, was a great idea.

If you're taking suggestions for videos (or creating a post here), I'd be interested in your guidance on where to get a) first aid training and b) basic trauma training without diving into getting an EMT certification. Your ABCs (DE) are useful but in my experience there's a big difference between watching a video (even a very informative one) and actually practicing how to splint a limb or use a triangle bandage. Most training that I've seen is for people that want to become EMTs and it's a big investment and time (and money). Is there some other path for those of us that are novices but want to know more?

Thanks again!
Hi Robert - Here's a video that covers what Chris keeps in his 'trauma kit'

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Its second episode time! This time, Chris is talking Trauma vs First aid, and some of the mindset and med kit implications.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Great information and I will keep my eye on this one.

digitaljones

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Piedmont, California, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Houlder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN0PWN
Great video to supplement the thorough training session Chris hosted at the Sierras West Rally. Great instruction and exercises. It definitely helped me feel more in control of helping with trauma management. Thanks Chris and Michael!

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Great Video!! I really appreciate the emphasis on the basics. Gloves & bandages - you really can't have too many. I find people get caught up on treatment rather than stabilization and transport. I like how your videos have taken a "how will this effect your management" approach and eliminated those things which don't really make a practical difference in the outback. Keep up the great work. I can't tell you how many people I have pointed in the direction of this video for its pragmatic advice. I also appreciate that you have worked to put together a reasonable FAK with OB. Thanks Again!