On Call w/ Chris EP7: Allergic Reactions

• HTML tutorial

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Thank you so much for doing this! I have plenty of anaphylactic food allergies myself, which is actually one of the reasons I got into overlanding in the first place, as I can bring all the food I need to bring, with me! I carry a couple Epi's in my first-aid kit and have had to use them a few times - not on myself, but on others who didn't know they were allergic to bees and certain plants.

I wrote my thesis on food allergies in young adults. A lot of people think it's a problem that just affects kids, which it isn't. One thing that stuck with me through the research was how common and varied allergies are. About 7% of people are allergic to something, and that could be anything. It's often not something you grow out of, either.

Last edited:

Wanderingjeep1

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Collinsville, Mississippi, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Bates
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF5QLL
Chris, what are your thoughts on carrying PO Pepcid to give as well? In the hospital setting I know we give Pepcid for H2 antagonist through an IV, will it help being given by mouth in the field?

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
Hey!
If there are mild symptoms then Pepcid might help but in the PO form the dose has to be much larger than normal due to first pass metabolism in the liver. I wouldn’t rely on it in the back country. If you only have Benadryl and Pepcid then go for it and use both.

Reactions: Wanderingjeep1