Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I am reworking a V6 Dauntless now for a CJ-6 build I am doing for my brother. I am anxious to get it running because I'm told they sound like little tractors and for some reason the odd firing order contributes to its sound.
yep, a 90 degree V8 is even firing. A 90 degree V6, not.

Reactions: HeliSniper

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I am reworking a V6 Dauntless now for a CJ-6 build I am doing for my brother. I am anxious to get it running because I'm told they sound like little tractors and for some reason the odd firing order contributes to its sound.
Vroom, vroom ...

I used to work on a customer's '62 Buick Skylark with basically the same engine. I don't remember it sounding this good. May be it was because it had a body!

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

There's a shop here in NH called resurrected rovers. It usually has a few for sale. No motor or tranny, rusted bad. $5k+
I paid $5,200 for Grover. The motor was/is in great shape. The transmission needed a little TLC, yet a couple years ago I found it wasn't the "standard" hi/low tranny that usually goes in them. They guy originally bought it had some sort of tranny gear setup installed for those rigs that were going to be used for heavy duty and crosscountry overlanding. The 'high' gear on mine equals the standard low gear; the 'low' gear is ultra low. To give you an idea... the first year I owned it we rented a large cherry picker to work on our trees. The rental company wouldn't let me haul it with the Rover, they said their policy required a heavier duty truck, so I used my father's. Two days later, after we had finished for the day, the thing was parked in the yard with the tires against the base of a rise that it had gone over earlier that day. That night we had a freak thunderstorm and the following morning it was bogged down. My father's truck couldn't budge it. Got the father-in-law's heavy duty 4WD, it didn't budge it. Got my brother's heavy duty 4WD truck that was also a 1st responder rig, it came close but still didn't budge it. I decided to hitch Grover to it and try, just for the fun of it. All three of them laughed. Guess which rig got it moving, up a slope, from a dead pull. It was a PITA getting the replacement gears and parts needed for the repairs. I ordered the parts the shop manual and parts book said it needed, yet none of the gears were meshing up together properly. I contacted a Series Rover transmission guru for help and he figured out it was that special kind. He immediately offered me $3k for just the tranny and I said "no". He then upped it to $5k and again I said "no". He said "good - don't let anyone talk you into selling it". Even with his help it took over 3 months to source the parts needed. The rust...what rust?! I lucked out. It's the original chassis and it's rust free (other than the flash rust unpainted metal gets) except for one small spot the size of a quarter on the blunt end of the the driver's side horn where the bumper attaches.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I paid $5,200 for Grover. The motor was/is in great shape. The transmission needed a little TLC, yet a couple years ago I found it wasn't the "standard" hi/low tranny that usually goes in them. They guy originally bought it had some sort of tranny gear setup installed for those rigs that were going to be used for heavy duty and crosscountry overlanding. The 'high' gear on mine equals the standard low gear; the 'low' gear is ultra low. To give you an idea... the first year I owned it we rented a large cherry picker to work on our trees. The rental company wouldn't let me haul it with the Rover, they said their policy required a heavier duty truck, so I used my father's. Two days later, after we had finished for the day, the thing was parked in the yard with the tires against the base of a rise that it had gone over earlier that day. That night we had a freak thunderstorm and the following morning it was bogged down. My father's truck couldn't budge it. Got the father-in-law's heavy duty 4WD, it didn't budge it. Got my brother's heavy duty 4WD truck that was also a 1st responder rig, it came close but still didn't budge it. I decided to hitch Grover to it and try, just for the fun of it. All three of them laughed. Guess which rig got it moving, up a slope, from a dead pull. It was a PITA getting the replacement gears and parts needed for the repairs. I ordered the parts the shop manual and parts book said it needed, yet none of the gears were meshing up together properly. I contacted a Series Rover transmission guru for help and he figured out it was that special kind. He immediately offered me $3k for just the tranny and I said "no". He then upped it to $5k and again I said "no". He said "good - don't let anyone talk you into selling it". Even with his help it took over 3 months to source the parts needed. The rust...what rust?! I lucked out. It's the original chassis and it's rust free (other than the flash rust unpainted metal gets) except for one small spot the size of a quarter on the blunt end of the the driver's side horn where the bumper attaches.
Correus,
Thank you for sharing your story on your amazing “Grover”! Love what you have and that you are running vintage iron, Okay Aluminum! Vance.

Reactions: Correus

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

This is very true. If you want to run a carb, you need to have a carb designed for off road, or modified. If you run an American V8, they make a "Off Road" carb for them.
Guys that are really into radical off road stuff will convert the engine to Propane, it does not care what side you keep up, it is under pressure and will work no matter what. The engine will starve for oil, but the engine will keep running till it seizes up.
For normal trail runs, mild off road stuff, a carb is fine though. Only rather steep inclines and side hills will give you problems.
Each carb will be different, but once you get past a certain point, the fuel overflows the bowls and you flood out, or it runs the bowl dry and it starves for fuel and dies. Either way it stops running and you have to get back to level ground to get it going again.

Fuel pick up tube extensions..

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

'66 IH Scout on a '70 IH 4x4 frame. GM 350/4spd/transfer case..'71 IH Scout II Dana 44's front and rear. 33x12.5x15 Super Swamper TrXus tires, Stock front disc brakes, rear franken discs, '03 Jeep GC power steering, custom s/s 35 gallon fuel tank, etc, etc.. It will run the fore mentioned Holley Truck Avenger carb until I have it running and the bugs worked out then I'll install a Holley Sniper EFI "carb"..

Attachments

Henrythemancavecamper

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Oslo, Noorwegen
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Schampers
Member #

In case 1968 classifies as old; I drive a Volvo L3314 from this year.
In the US you probably don't see them come by very often but here in Norway we have quite a few.

It's pretty old school with no power steering, no power brakes, no noise insulation, 4 speed manual and a 2L carburated petrol engine :grimacing:

254D5EA2-C0E9-45BE-B7F3-B5E4B0A79867.jpg

KennethC

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate III

Calexico, CA
First Name
Kennth
Last Name
Claverie
In case 1968 classifies as old; I drive a Volvo L3314 from this year.
In the US you probably don't see them come by very often but here in Norway we have quite a few.

It's pretty old school with no power steering, no power brakes, no noise insulation, 4 speed manual and a 2L carburated petrol engine :grimacing:

View attachment 111112
Very nice! Looks so capable.

Walter

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Katie Okla.
Member #

what have you done to it? looks like Chevy axles? 350 motor?
1980 J 20 rear axle ( Same as chevy) custom front Dana 44 with J20 disk brakes also same as chevy. 3.73 gears with twin track in the rear and soon to be in the front, T98 close ratio 4 speed with 11in clutch, 205 twin stick T case, and a 300 Ford six with a Offenhouser 4 barrel, topped witha 390 CFM Holley. P/S, P/B, and under dash A/C with lots of cab insulation. Custom built removable hard top.

Attachments

Last edited:

joe.schigel

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Detroit, MI
1980 J 20 rear axle ( Same as chevy) custom front Dana 44 with J20 disk brakes also same as chevy. 3.73 gears with twin track in the rear and soon to be in the front, T98 close ratio 4 speed with 11in clutch, 205 twin stick T case, and a 300 Ford six with a Offenhouser 4 barrel, topped witha 390 CFM Holley. P/S, P/B, and under dash A/C with lots of cab insulation. Custom built removable hard top.
That's awesome! Looks super clean. how's the insulation work on the cab? I put a good amount on the floor of mine so hopefully it's a bit quieter.

reasley

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Jamestown, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Easley
Member #

1987 Suzuki Samurai. I did a lot of work on this little girl to make it trail worthy. Bigger engine, regeared transfer case, regeared difs, ARB lockers, on-board air, bigger fuel tank, fuel injection, skid plates, pink snatch, neon seats, body lift.

At 11763' (no carb)
Clipboard01.jpg
IMG_0584.jpg
IMAG0062.jpg

Last edited: