Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

The GMC big V-6 starts at 305 ci.

I laugh when I hear people who think they have a large V-6 in some modern import.
Nice, you rarely find people with love for those. I just assumed you meant the I6s that seem to have more of a following.

-TJ

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

My '01 K2500 8.1 Suburban 220,000 miles on it now. It's just me and my dog when we head out for photography trips. I like not having to pull a trailer or have to mess with a tent on the roof or on the ground.

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

Everything I've seen for videos of people using vehicles with carbs, the vehicle stalls out on slants and inclines.
Not if it is driven right and has carb made for off roading. Like the Holley truck avenger or if you're as old as I am, you can modify almost any carb to work well off road.

Ray Hyland

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Great thread, as it seems all I own are old trucks. :-)

The three below are:
1. My youngest truck, a 1993 Defender 110 that has driven from Seattle to NY, and from Canada to Baja.
2. My 1988 Range Rover Classic, one of the first two trucks to drive across Canada from the US border to the Arctic Ocean in Tuktoyaktuk in the summertime (4 months before the new road opened)
3. My 1954 Land Rover Series 1 SWB, which we drove from London to Singapore, which was a 9 month, 16,000 mile trip.

As an owner of old trucks for long trips, I can honestly say they are sometimes a PITA, but they are also fun and full of character, and easy to fix.

Cheers

Ray

Attachments

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
The GMC big V-6 starts at 305 ci.

V6 engines were produced in 305, 351, 401 and 478 cubic-inch (5.0, 5.8, 6.6, and 7.8 respectively liter) displacements, with considerable parts commonality. During the latter years of production, 379-and-432-cubic-inch (6.2 and 7.1 L) versions with enlarged crankshaft journals were manufactured as well.

I laugh when I hear people who think they have a large V-6 in some modern import.
I had a 59 GMC Carryall with a 401 V-6 in it. I was a BIG 1 ton 4wheel drive, had barn doors in the back and was a US Govt survey truck. It was 10 1/2 feet from the back of the front seat to the back doors. It was stolen by my ex-partners druggy son, I wish I still had it.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

well my apologies, I have never heard of these engines and guarantee they were never sold in Oilberta.
At least NOT in light trucks. In heavy trucks yes but I doubt they ever made it into 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton light trucks.
NO Suburban in Western Canada came with a V6.

Last edited:

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

well my apologies, I have never heard of these engines and guarantee they were never sold in Oilberta.
NO Suburban in Western Canada came with a V6/... is this an error on Wiki?
They may not have been popular in Canada, but were rather popular here in the USA. Keep in mind that they were mostly a work truck engine. You would see them in fleet trucks, tow truck, anywhere torque was valued over speed. They were never an engine that you would race, but they had torque that seemed to never end. Many tow trucks were made with the big V6. Most were also sold under the GMC name, not sure you could get a Chevy with a GMC V6 in it.
We had one when I was growing up, my dad loved it till it froze one year and cracked the block. It was a beast.

Reactions: Billiebob

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I have seen the 5.0L V6 in pickups.

But they are in GMC trucks where GMC was still distinct from Chevrolet. Anymore GMC just represents a trim level.

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

At least NOT in light trucks. In heavy trucks yes but I doubt they ever made it into 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton light trucks.
NO Suburban in Western Canada came with a V6.
They usually went to medium duty GMC trucks.
This guy has two that were tankers built for the military. They would be great for an overland build

Reactions: Dilldog

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
While I think they are cool, I wouldn't want to build one. I am an inline 6 guy. (XJ 4.0 and 5.9 Cummins)

I don't like engines with opposed cylinders in multiples that aren't divisible by 4. Boxer 4s, V8s and V12s are good. A V16 would be good too. Beyond that, any other number of cylinders should be inline. At least as long as we are talking about 4-stroke engines.

It is a personal philosophy, but I think it bears its merits in the reliability of inline engines and the lack thereof in engines such as V10s.

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

I have the 292 straight 6 in the K20, but I have always been blown away by the 305-401 V6 engines some of the GMC trucks got :sunglasses:

Good grief that is clean! This is what my 292 aspires to be!
In my ever so humble opinion, I will say the 292 is by far the best I6 ever made with the Ford 300 a fairly close second.
I swapped a 292/sm465/205 into a '98 Jeep Cherokee . You about had to reach into the back seat to shift

Reactions: KonzaLander

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
In my ever so humble opinion, I will say the 292 is by far the best I6 ever made with the Ford 300 a fairly close second.
I swapped a 292/sm465/205 into a '98 Jeep Cherokee . You about had to reach into the back seat to shift
Straight sixes in general are kinda the way to go, less parasitic power loss since everything is working in the same direction. Also maybe its because I only ran with Ford six guys but I never really heard much about the 292GM. I always dreamed of swapping one into my old K5 just because I like inline sixes. But the 300-6 in my 82 F150 was a sweet engine. I ran Clifford headers and intake, BBC rockers, it was punched out to 315cu and the head was milled to get around a 9.5:1 compression ratio and it had a 500CFM Holley 2bbl on it. With 3.00 gears and 33s it would still bark em hard going into 3rd. Thing would destroy U joints and I even shelled out a 9" diff with that engine. I have no clue how much power it was making, but it destroyed 2 clutches, hundreds of U joints, 1 differential , and a transfer case, so Ill just say lots, lol.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Straight sixes in general are kinda the way to go, less parasitic power loss since everything is working in the same direction. Also maybe its because I only ran with Ford six guys but I never really heard much about the 292GM. I always dreamed of swapping one into my old K5 just because I like inline sixes. But the 300-6 in my 82 F150 was a sweet engine. I ran Clifford headers and intake, BBC rockers, it was punched out to 315cu and the head was milled to get around a 9.5:1 compression ratio and it had a 500CFM Holley 2bbl on it. With 3.00 gears and 33s it would still bark em hard going into 3rd. Thing would destroy U joints and I even shelled out a 9" diff with that engine. I have no clue how much power it was making, but it destroyed 2 clutches, hundreds of U joints, 1 differential , and a transfer case, so Ill just say lots, lol.
Don't forget the old Chrysler Slant 6. While not as common in the trucks, it was used. Mostly 1/2 tons and fleet stuff. Those engine were bullet proof. It was a very popular engine for Taxi companies due to the reliability of it. Not big on power, but they sure could go the distance.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Everything I've seen for videos of people using vehicles with carbs, the vehicle stalls out on slants and inclines.
All in the float valve direction. Holly carbs end the problem usually. Inclines raise the float which closes the inlet valve.