covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
My old overlanding truck.
View attachment 132917
I put an inline 6 out of a supra in it.
View attachment 132918
I retired it to be my daily driver so I could build my 4runner.
Hard to find these around this part of the woods. The Mexicans buy them two at a time, drive one and tow the other back to Mexico with both loaded to the brim with goods they buy in USA and take back to Mexico for resale. They don't have to pay Mexican duty on the older cars and trucks so they buy all the older good trucks they can find. That's one reason I don't have one. I can buy 2 of anything else for what people sell these trucks for. :-)

Reactions: Offroadnutz

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

Hard to find these around this part of the woods. The Mexicans buy them two at a time, drive one and tow the other back to Mexico with both loaded to the brim with goods they buy in USA and take back to Mexico for resale. They don't have to pay Mexican duty on the older cars and trucks so they buy all the older good trucks they can find. That's one reason I don't have one. I can buy 2 of anything else for what people sell these trucks for. :-)
I also hear in some of the toyota forums im a part of that they are common trucks to steel on the west coast then move them south across the border...

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I also hear in some of the toyota forums im a part of that they are common trucks to steel on the west coast then move them south across the border...
Anything 4x4 is a target. The lighter truck don't get stuck in sands of the desert as much as the bigger rigs, carrying all that dope over our way.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Here's one I wish I still had.

I drove the piss out of that thing in the 70's all over eastern US and Canada; way up around Cape Breton in Nova Scotia (where I blew the engine and had to get another one from a broken down sedan on the MicMac Indian res); down to the Smoky Mountains a couple times, lived out of it in Cleveland while doing some long distance courier work; about tore the front end off when I got t-boned at an intersection; etc.

I adored that vehicle.

The two shots below are the only ones I think I still have; I mean, it was almost fifty years ago now. They were taken on Cape Cod on an adventure I took with a girlfriend. You can see in one image I had curtains in the back. Had a bed set up in there, too, and the carpenter who lived next door helped me make two long plywood drawers that slid out from under the bed onto the tailgate, or all the way out.

I've been doing this vehicle-based shit a long time. Ha!

'69 Chevy Carryall. No one I know called 'em Suburbans then, though the official name was Chevrolet Carryall Suburban. Had a straight six, a 250 I think, though think we swapped it for a 230 in Cape Breton. Might've been the other way around. Standard transmission. Two doors on the passenger side, and only the driver's door on that side. Mine had a tailgate, not barn doors in the rear.

The shift linkage would lock up every once in while going into second and I'd have to pull over, pop the hood, and flip it back into place. Of course, it would happen in intersections most of the time.

Wish I still had it. They're going for a hell of a lot more now than I paid for it.

69ChevyCarryall_7486-900.jpg

69ChevyCaryall_7488-900.jpg

Here's a link to a cherry 3/4 ton 4x4 '69 Chevy Carryall with a 350 in California:
1969 Chevrolet Factory 3 Door 4wd 4x4 C 20 Suburban California Native Survivor

Last edited:

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

Here's one I wish I still had.

I drove the piss out of that thing in the 70's all over eastern US and Canada; way up around Cape Breton in Nova Scotia (where I blew the engine and had to get another one from a broken down sedan on the MicMac Indian res); down to the Smoky Mountains a couple times, lived out of it in Cleveland while doing some long distance courier work; about tore the front end off when I got t-boned at an intersection; etc.

I adored that vehicle.

The two shots below are the only ones I think I still have; I mean, it was almost fifty years ago now. They were taken on Cape Cod on an adventure I took with a girlfriend. You can see in one image I had curtains in the back. Had a bed set up in there, too, and the carpenter who lived next door helped me make two long plywood drawers that slid out from under the bed onto the tailgate, or all the way out.

I've been doing this vehicle-based shit a long time. Ha!

'69 Chevy Carryall. No one I know called 'em Suburbans then, though the official name was Chevrolet Carryall Suburban. Had a straight six, a 250 I think, though think we swapped it for a 230 in Cape Breton. Might've been the other way around. Standard transmission. The shift linkage would lock up every once in while going into second and I'd have to pull over, pop the hood, and flip it back into place. Of course, it would happen in intersections most of the time.

Wish I still had it. They're going for a hell of a lot more now than I paid for it.

View attachment 132928

View attachment 132929 B

Those old burbs are like tanks....lol

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

What do you guys consider old? I have a '97 Montero Sport and the wife drives a '96 Grand Cherokee.

When I think of 'old vehicles', I think of the stuff that was new when I was a kid, meaning 50's and 60's vehicles, or older. Maybe even 70's.

But *I'M* old, so what's old to me may not be old to most here. The more I go through these boards lately and read the comments and sense of inexperience most seem to have, the more I think the majority of members here are a lot younger.

I think in most states--not really sure--I think a vehicle has to be 25 years old to qualify for vintage or antique plates. That would mean 1995 or earlier for this thread.

Perhaps the OP will chime in and say what he thinks old means as far as vehicles.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
300 I6 is one of my least favorite engines. Weird that so many people love it?
I was a GM guy growing up so I had 292 I-6's and 305 V-6's GMC motors along with one 401 V-6. I had a lot of buddys that liked Fords and ran the I-6 300's I don't remember them having too many problems with them. I also had a neighbor with 2 slant 6 Dodge Pick-ups we used to kid him about the sideways engines.

Then I discovered 350's, 396's, 427's and 454's wow power, torque and 7 MPG up hill, down hill, loaded or empty. LOL

Best I-6 I ever had was a Cummins first generation 5.9. Power, torque and great mileage, terrible ride though.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

nice truck!!
my neighbor has a '70 3dr 4x4
View attachment 133396

my toy is an '85 K30 crew and my daily is a '90 K1500 stepper, and in my mind, there not old.
crew is the newest truck i've ever owned, most of my trucks and blazers were '60's and '70's.
yes the stepper is a '90, but technically it's not mine. bought it for the wifey in '95 and she drove it till our son was born in '04, then i took it over. it's still reg. to the wife all these yrs later

Cool cool - love to see more pics of the '70 Carryall from across the street, and love to see pics of your vehicles, too.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Nissan sd33t turbo diesel 3.2l I6
Who put that in there ? That's no better than an old 304 2 barrel. I have an old 67 B1200 International long bed binder with the 304 I overhauled 23 years ago but only has 25,000 miles since new short block. I had plans to make it into a 4x4 with an old crew cab I had stored on a friends lot. She was gone and someone stole it and was never recovered. So much for that build. I'm rural so I just drive the old girl to the dump and back once a week now.