Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
Hey Folks I wanted to put out some feelers to see if anyone would be interested in doing a group ride through a private ranch. It’s Duchess Creek Ranch in Porum (on lake Eufaula). I recently had the honor of doing an Elk hunt on this ranch and got a very nice red stag cow. After the hunt my mother and I were allowed to go back in his property to "explore” and it was incredible. He raises and harvests elk and red stag, but has some other critters also. All wildlife is tame and most stood and watched as we wheeled by. After discussing with the owner my interest in wheeling there he said he is not opposed to it. So here is the deal, most of the trails are easily capable of being driven in 2wd, there are a few areas that 4hi were used and one sketchy climb that was 4lo. What to expect is a family friendly off-road experience like none I know of, there are two or three Herds of Elk depending on how they are splitting up (around 150 head total I believe) the bulls have massive antler spreads, some pig and hog, some donkeys, at least one llama (alpaca?), and a lot of criss cross trails with some small but very beautiful caverns (Locally rumored to be a Jesse James hideout but not confirmed) with tags and etchings from late 1800s and early 1900s, large boulder with natural bird bath formation (rare from what I understand). This is an opportunity for some of us to get to meet each other, have a memorable easy wheeling day with family and friends, and a SUPER photogenic area, animals, and surroundings. What this is NOT is a place to go off of the beaten path and show your flex, dig ruts (intentionally), harass the wildlife or environment. This is by no means a difficult outing, and the one section that does require some skill has a bypass for those not comfortable with it (wish I know that the first time I went up it). There are rentable cabins on the property, there is a camp ground a mileish from the ranch, and a gas station with hot food and necessities two miles away. The owner states that the cost per vehicle would vary on level of interest generated but look between 10-30$ per vehicle. Potentially a little steep, but it is virgin land for off roaders, plus the caverns and the wildlife experience is like none other in this area. We would be looking to do something in March or April probably over a nice weekend. If you or anyone you know are interested, or have questions hit me up and I will try to find out answers. Please keep in mind that photos were taken while wheeling and on a 5 year old phone. The driving could take a couple hours to all day depending on speed of the group, stops for photos, and exploration.

or1.jpgor2.jpgor4.jpgor16.jpg
One of the smaller herds you can expect to see and a mid/large sized bull. wish I had gotten more photos of the wildlife

or8.jpgor5.jpg
One section that is a steepish grade with rough and loose rocky terrain.

or11.jpgor15.jpg
A few shallow watter crossings, nothing too deep or sloppy

or18.jpgor17.jpgor19.jpgor14.jpg
Mild grade with and a bouncy ride with a few muddy slick spots.

or13.jpgor12.jpg
Rocky hard packed earth leads to an open field where you will usually find a herd of elk

or3.jpgor9.jpg
A mildly technical descent with loose terrain and a phenomenal view

or7.jpgor10.jpg
So this is hard to read from the pictures, but this is the 4lo area. You have to cross a washout with loose rocky terrain over a fairly steep grade with a switchback in between some trees that then has you rock crawling with a puckering drop off on the right.

*******The last Picture is the red stag cow I harvested. scroll fast if you dont want to see it.******

or6.jpg

KA7USA

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Midwest City, OK, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Ganahl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7USA
I'm interested, Bouncer. Looks like a nice place to camp. Would the estimated cost be per day or weekend?

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
I am in the early stages of planning. Its really something that can all be seen on the ranch in one day so thats what I was planning it as up to 30 dollars for entry to the ranch for one day. Now with that being said you are about 4 miles from the Lake Eufaula dam ORV, that is free, but no Jeeps or registered vehicles. They only allow ATVs, SXS, motorcycles etc. you are about 2 miles from the lake itself so fishing and water toys are an option as well.

If the demand is great enough I can talk to the owner to see if he is willing to open it up for a 2 day event.

KA7USA

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Midwest City, OK, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Ganahl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7USA
I am in the early stages of planning. Its really something that can all be seen on the ranch in one day so thats what I was planning it as up to 30 dollars for entry to the ranch for one day. Now with that being said you are about 4 miles from the Lake Eufaula dam ORV, that is free, but no Jeeps or registered vehicles. They only allow ATVs, SXS, motorcycles etc. you are about 2 miles from the lake itself so fishing and water toys are an option as well.

If the demand is great enough I can talk to the owner to see if he is willing to open it up for a 2 day event.
Hope there is a decent response for this. I'd be willing to pay $10 per day for 2-3 days, up to $20 for an afternoon to afternoon over-nighter, but more than that probably not.

Reactions: Oklamopar

Oklamopar

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midwest City, OK, USA
First Name
Lester
Last Name
Kono
Member #

$30 for a weekend (fri/sat) to do some primitive camping , wheeling would be fair. How many acres are there ? Is there any ponds on the property that are fish-able. Catch and release would be fine. Looks like a nice piece of property.

Reactions: Iwata77 and KA7USA

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wewoka, Seminole County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

im interested in this if it happens. Be a good chance to meet up with some people and get to know each other I’m in Stratford, so not too far of a drive from here either

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
OK, the ranch owner is out of town currently, however I will try to get some questions answered. The Ranch is over 400 Acres, Over half is in "tall fence" where the wildlife is and the majority of the off roading. The owner does have 3 or 4 cabins on property with a fishing pond available for renting (will have to ask about pricing when hes back in town). Otherwise there is a campground less than a mile away that was just purchased and is being brought back to life after being closed for several seasons. I know the campground has a stocked pond for catch and release, camper hookups for electricity and water , and primitive camping available with showers and bathrooms on sight. I am reaching out to the owners there to see what pricing we can get for there.

BlueMooseExplorer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Choctaw, Oklahoma
First Name
JEREMY
Last Name
ZUNIGA
Member #

OK, the ranch owner is out of town currently, however I will try to get some questions answered. The Ranch is over 400 Acres, Over half is in "tall fence" where the wildlife is and the majority of the off roading. The owner does have 3 or 4 cabins on property with a fishing pond available for renting (will have to ask about pricing when hes back in town). Otherwise there is a campground less than a mile away that was just purchased and is being brought back to life after being closed for several seasons. I know the campground has a stocked pond for catch and release, camper hookups for electricity and water , and primitive camping available with showers and bathrooms on sight. I am reaching out to the owners there to see what pricing we can get for there.
I’m interested. Seems like fun.

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

sounds like a good plan coming together. What coms are you planning to run? I’m in process of getting mine installed at the moment. Don’t have HAM license, but have handheld HAM (so I can listen at least), handheld GMRS (debating ordering midland mxt275 too), as well as i have a cobra 75 CB in the mail. But curious what you use to make sure I have mine ready at the time

r_horner

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Guthrie, Logan County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Horner
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
@horndogst4r is the wife's vehicle going to get a matching ARB bumper too? What about the trailer? Looks good man.
Hell might as well get them done. Lol. I was thinking more along the lines of this for her Outback.
644737BA-0B12-4D75-8DB6-FAA7DCC27196.jpeg
1A333B5F-7CBB-45D1-AB1E-20F5A3492533.jpeg

Last edited:

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
Ok, Update time. I am working on the price to be 20 dollars per vehicle for the day. I am also trying to find out if the Ponds where we will be on the ranch are stocked. The camp ground up the road is willing to host primitive camping for 15$ per camping spot/vehicle. This will come with access to the onsite bathroom/shower, fishing pond, volleyball court (and any other games that may be set up that I dont know of such as horse shoes, tether ball, corn hole, etc.), and they are willing to include a weenie roast with chips and drinks for the group. With these basics laid out we need to establish how many people are wanting/willing to participate and go (feel free to extend the offer to friends and family outside of the OB group) and decide on a weekend that works for everyone after spring break. If you have any Questions please let me know, If there are any that you have asked that I have not answered for you yet please remind me so that I can follow up.

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

Ok, Update time. I am working on the price to be 20 dollars per vehicle for the day. I am also trying to find out if the Ponds where we will be on the ranch are stocked. The camp ground up the road is willing to host primitive camping for 15$ per camping spot/vehicle. This will come with access to the onsite bathroom/shower, fishing pond, volleyball court (and any other games that may be set up that I dont know of such as horse shoes, tether ball, corn hole, etc.), and they are willing to include a weenie roast with chips and drinks for the group. With these basics laid out we need to establish how many people are wanting/willing to participate and go (feel free to extend the offer to friends and family outside of the OB group) and decide on a weekend that works for everyone after spring break. If you have any Questions please let me know, If there are any that you have asked that I have not answered for you yet please remind me so that I can follow up.
i am in. Im good with whatever weekend works for the group. It will be the wife and I.

only other question I had was what comms are you running?

out of curiosity, what campground is it? Just so I can do a little research. If easily accessible I may either bring the camper, or just car camp it.