Oklahoma overlanders where ya at?

• HTML tutorial

KDC

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lawton, OK
Member #

For everyone that thinks Oklahoma doesn’t have any trails, you should go explore Ouachita National Forest. Miles upon miles of scenic trails.

I have shared multiple posts in this thread with photos. If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me and I’ll try and point you in the right direction.

View attachment 76078

View attachment 76079

View attachment 76080
Agreed that ouchita has nice trails but mainly I thing we are all speaking about the lack of trails on the west side of Oklahoma. I’m in Lawton and there is t much close by to do day trips or just go mess around. I do like taking long trips but lately work has been keeping me from that so day trips are about all I can manage right now

Hirvy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Jones OK
Member #

Ouachita National Forest does look awesome and I want to hit it up for sure but aside from that and the Oklahoma Adventure Trail what are we left with? One national Forest and some back roads don't really make for much "adventure" especially when it's all 1-2 hours from OKC metro

OkieOverlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Noble, Oklahoma
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Kirby
Member #

Has anyone bought stuff from govplanet.com? They have tons of cool stuff sleeping bags, tents and I’m thinking about selling the Jeep for a Humvee lol

Reactions: KDC

OkieGobi

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lawton, Oklahoma, USA
Member #

Sure did. Then looped back north and then west to 259, just south of Big Cedar. Once we got back to 259, we headed south into Broken Bow.
Just a heads up, this post is from last fall on another forum...

"Hey guys. I've seen this posted in a couple of groups today. Looks like the K-Trail is closed for good from Clayton to Three Sticks. Apparently, you can drive in from Three Sticks to the fire tower but no further west. I guess it's all private land and the land owners don't like off-roaders coming through any more. Here's the info I've seen. Might call the numbers on there and double check.
"I talked with Pushmataha County game Warden, Dane Polk this morning. Had a long phone conversation with him. It's been a private road for years and years now. It's 100% private land on both sides of the road (as we knew), and IT'S A PRIVATE ROAD as well (no different than someone's driveway). Has been for a LONG time apparently. This isn't a recent deal. There is NO forestry land up there, and no ODWC land either. There USED to be but it has all been sold to private land owners, so everything on and along the trail is private from 9 Pine Road up till the Fire Tower. From the fire tower eastward is USFS land and legal to be on. I went by the 9 Pines entrance of Clayton Trail yesterday and there are no signs, no gates, nothing... so I asked Dane why there wasn't anything there to stop the traffic, and he said that they just get ripped down and it's a lost cause to try and stop them... he did say if you are caught on it, and the land owner wants to press charges, you will be fined a $500 trespassing ticket the first time, and the 2nd time you are caught it's $1500. Doesn't matter if there are signs or not, as you DO NOT need to post your land in Oklahoma to press trespassing charges, so signs or not, it's illegal to be up there. If you don't believe me, or have questions of your own, please contact Dane Polk, Pushmataha County Game Warden based in Clayton, OK (+1 580-271-0808). He will tell you everything I just did, as he has jurisdiction over that trail. Not USFS, not country Sherrif, not local PD... Dane is in charge of it.""

I also talked to a guy last winter that leases some of the land along the private road and he said they are very serious about stopping trespassing. Apparently folks are fed up with land abuse, poaching, and drug issues along the trail. Take it all for what you will...

OkieOverlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Noble, Oklahoma
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Kirby
Member #

Just a heads up, this post is from last fall on another forum...

"Hey guys. I've seen this posted in a couple of groups today. Looks like the K-Trail is closed for good from Clayton to Three Sticks. Apparently, you can drive in from Three Sticks to the fire tower but no further west. I guess it's all private land and the land owners don't like off-roaders coming through any more. Here's the info I've seen. Might call the numbers on there and double check.
"I talked with Pushmataha County game Warden, Dane Polk this morning. Had a long phone conversation with him. It's been a private road for years and years now. It's 100% private land on both sides of the road (as we knew), and IT'S A PRIVATE ROAD as well (no different than someone's driveway). Has been for a LONG time apparently. This isn't a recent deal. There is NO forestry land up there, and no ODWC land either. There USED to be but it has all been sold to private land owners, so everything on and along the trail is private from 9 Pine Road up till the Fire Tower. From the fire tower eastward is USFS land and legal to be on. I went by the 9 Pines entrance of Clayton Trail yesterday and there are no signs, no gates, nothing... so I asked Dane why there wasn't anything there to stop the traffic, and he said that they just get ripped down and it's a lost cause to try and stop them... he did say if you are caught on it, and the land owner wants to press charges, you will be fined a $500 trespassing ticket the first time, and the 2nd time you are caught it's $1500. Doesn't matter if there are signs or not, as you DO NOT need to post your land in Oklahoma to press trespassing charges, so signs or not, it's illegal to be up there. If you don't believe me, or have questions of your own, please contact Dane Polk, Pushmataha County Game Warden based in Clayton, OK (+1 580-271-0808). He will tell you everything I just did, as he has jurisdiction over that trail. Not USFS, not country Sherrif, not local PD... Dane is in charge of it.""

I also talked to a guy last winter that leases some of the land along the private road and he said they are very serious about stopping trespassing. Apparently folks are fed up with land abuse, poaching, and drug issues along the trail. Take it all for what you will...

OkieOverlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Noble, Oklahoma
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Kirby
Member #

I also talked to a guy last winter that leases some of the land along the private road and he said they are very serious about stopping trespassing. Apparently folks are fed up with land abuse, poaching, and drug issues along the trail. Take it all for what you will...[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info and that’s one of the reasons we need to take care of the trails we run on please don’t abuse them.

The GrooGrux King

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Dallas, TX 75218
Member #

I have spoken to a game warden, a property owner, as well as, another guy who lives in the area at Three Sticks and frequently travels the Kiamichi Trail, and not one person said that we shouldn't be there or that the trail is private after asking what the status was. But, understand that land on both the left and right side of the trails can be private land. So keep your eyes peeled for indications.

In fact, the game warden I spoke to, said that if there is a road/trail that is private or closed, it will be clearly marked i.e.: gate, man made obstruction, purple paint marked on trees or visible signage. What was weird about our conversation was this - he saw that the rigs we had with us had LED lights and he was sure to mention that "offroad" LED lighting was illegal in Oklahoma, regardless of if being on a trial at night. I know, strange, but that is what he said.

I think the main takeaway is this - be respectful, understand what tread lightly means and if you know that you shouldn't be where you are, turn around.

Hirvy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Jones OK
Member #

And now we know why there's all the confusion about the Ktrail. Seems there's always someone that has a different story. Well using off road lighting on a road is illegal yeah but having them sure isn't.

The GrooGrux King

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Dallas, TX 75218
Member #

And now we know why there's all the confusion about the Ktrail. Seems there's always someone that has a different story. Well using off road lighting on a road is illegal yeah but having them sure isn't.
He said using the LED offroad lighting is illegal on the trails as well. I was sure to have him specify, because it seemed very odd. Like the last guy, I'm just relaying the message.

Hirvy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Jones OK
Member #

He said using the LED offroad lighting is illegal on the trails as well. I was sure to have him specify, because it seemed very odd. Like the last guy, I'm just relaying the message.
Well if Ktrail is a road I guess he's not wrong. Just an ahole.[emoji12] So much of the Ktrail is here say. You went there and have pics to prove it. It's hard to plan a trip to hit up a trail when you can't get a clear explanation from even the game wardens that work there.

The GrooGrux King

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Dallas, TX 75218
Member #

Well if Ktrail is a road I guess he's not wrong. Just an ahole.[emoji12] So much of the Ktrail is here say. You went there and have pics to prove it. It's hard to plan a trip to hit up a trail when you can't get a clear explanation from even the game wardens that work there.
I completely agree.... except I am not 100% sure that I would call the K Trail a road! :tearsofjoy: Surprisingly, there are worse roads in East Dallas though!

4.0LitersToFreedom

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oklahoma City, Ok
Member #

I really appreciate the open dialog on the K Trail. I have always wanted to run it, but hesitated due to its sketchy online reputation (essentially 2 or 3 bad experiences with certain game wardens and tire spikes that have been rehashed multiple times online). It sounds like as long as you respect gates, tresspassing signs, and stay on the trail it's fair game. I just want to go see the firetower someday.

SE Oklahoma is still a pretty wild place that one just needs to discover for themselves (with caution of course). Its not well documented like trails in Colorado and Utah that literally have books written about them.

I am reminded of the Hobbit quote "The world is not in your books and maps, its out there" -Gandalf

Reactions: Iwata77