Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
Post your before and after pic's if you can.
Would like seeing a build up on old military rigs. What are your plans for the build ?
Here's the trailer with the canvas cover it came with.

This is the rack I had a local welder make for me. It incorporated two of the triangularish pieces from the trailer. The front two corners have empty square channels where the original bows can go. This lets me put the bows and canvas cover on over this rack instead of having to remove it first.

Here is is packed up and ready to go.

And here are a couple shots of it in the wild.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Here's the trailer with the canvas cover it came with.

View attachment 100687

This is the rack I had a local welder make for me. It incorporated two of the triangularish pieces from the trailer. The front two corners have empty square channels where the original bows can go. This lets me put the bows and canvas cover on over this rack instead of having to remove it first.

View attachment 100688

Here is is packed up and ready to go.

View attachment 100689

And here are a couple shots of it in the wild.

View attachment 100690

View attachment 100691
I wanna see you wear that rig out. It " aint -a- gonna " happen in your life time.

Chetta58

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Walla walla wa
First Name
Butch
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
Problem with the Miata (or any car) is getting too the real back country to have a real adventure , not a picnic in someone's back pasture. Been there , done that , that's cool, but there is a world of difference in a highway trip somewhere and an Overland experience. Hope you replaced the Miata with something 4 wheel drive with gnarly big tires for you next adventure into the wild.
Lol, yea... my 3rd Jeep... not oddball.

Attachments

Reactions: Broke

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
Problem with the Miata (or any car) is getting too the real back country to have a real adventure , not a picnic in someone's back pasture. Been there , done that , that's cool, but there is a world of difference in a highway trip somewhere and an Overland experience. Hope you replaced the Miata with something 4 wheel drive with gnarly big tires for you next adventure into the wild.
I disagree.

If more people start exploring, respecting, and helping preserve the outdoors and nature, we're all doing better. It doesn't matter if someone does that in a Miata or in a Jeep as long as they're doing it and doing it in a way that helps conserve nature rather than destroy nature, then it's a good thing. I see too many people with "gnarly big tires" and 1000 pounds of armor ripping up the roads, going around puddles (widening the road), and "tearing-it-up" well beyond the trail's capability to support their "beast."

I would much rather see someone in a Miata exploring and stopping when they know their vehicle has reached its maximum capability. When I was a teen, we used to take a couple of Chevy Chevettes all over the northern Arizona desert, always being careful not to tear up the trails and yet still exploring the world.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I disagree.

If more people start exploring, respecting, and helping preserve the outdoors and nature, we're all doing better. It doesn't matter if someone does that in a Miata or in a Jeep as long as they're doing it and doing it in a way that helps conserve nature rather than destroy nature, then it's a good thing. I see too many people with "gnarly big tires" and 1000 pounds of armor ripping up the roads, going around puddles (widening the road), and "tearing-it-up" well beyond the trail's capability to support their "beast."

I would much rather see someone in a Miata exploring and stopping when they know their vehicle has reached its maximum capability. When I was a teen, we used to take a couple of Chevy Chevettes all over the northern Arizona desert, always being careful not to tear up the trails and yet still exploring the world.
I cant argue with what your saying, but that is not what I was talking about. Chetta58 knew what I was talking about and agreed, he bought a jeep. All I was saying is that yes, we all have to start somewhere and we should with whatever we have, I did. That was then and now is now. I'm older and smarter than to do the things I once did.
Lessons learned are never forgotten. Naraly tires are to keep you from tearing up the trails not damage them.

Reactions: OtherOrb

Chetta58

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Walla walla wa
First Name
Butch
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
Lol, we had a conversation on the side. I actually had a Jeep when we did the Miata trip. If we can get responsible people out and about and help keep our trails open then heck, we all win. Enough said. Later all.

Reactions: OtherOrb

Chetta58

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Walla walla wa
First Name
Butch
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
Wow, I’m a Porsche fanatic and didn’t know they ever made such a thing. Too cool!

JaxxaLuca

Rank 0

Traveler I

My 2012 AWD Nissan Juke.
I got it because it was funky and unique, but looked like it could be a platform comparable to most AWD Subarus. It has almost zero aftermarket for offroad modifications, so I've been trying to develop it and try and push it as far as it will go. I feel like a lot of car people overlook the Juke as a platform because of the CVT transmission, but it is turbocharged, has a torque vectoring LSD and some pretty beefy drivetrain and suspension components on it.
So far I've hooked up with Silver's Coilovers and got them to create a 2" coilover lift kit, which I've pushed to 2.5", and with some fender trimming I've been able to fit a tire just a bit smaller than 33x11.50 (yes it is currently on stock Jeep rims too)

Putting Jeep Wheels on a Nissan Juke.jpg

OverlandWith.Us

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Pahrump, NV, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7TGL
Vans are not really “unusual” rig wise for Overland use...

BUT what my wife & I’ve found during our 400+ days on the road in our #TwoVanCaravan is well...

Most peeps Overland as a couple in one rig. But every time we try going down to one rig in our travels we miss the functionality of having both full size van conversions.

We basically “Live” in the Promaster, and use the nicely moded Chevy AWD for off pavement fun and resupply runs.FCE301E0-1783-43AC-B539-CD65D5BAF9C0.jpeg