Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Not everyone wants to go rock crawling :)

Do what you can with what you've got.
Exactly! The reality is the vast majority of places can be accessed simply with high clearance & especially with just about any form of 4WD. I’ve done all the major CO passes & explored a lot of country for decades with stock trucks, an Outback & cars.

caleath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Not sure where you are looking but there are tons of aftermarket parts for ramchargers including countless lift kits, bumpers, and performance engine upgrades.

If Lone Wolf McQuade aka Chuck Norris can modify one in the 80s I think it can be done today.View attachment 87758

There is some. I like making my own stuff. I wish there was a roof rack for one. Without full length drip rails mounting gets sketchy.

Reactions: Broke

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

There is some. I like making my own stuff. I wish there was a roof rack for one. Without full length drip rails mounting gets sketchy.
I imagine you just need to go through the roof. While this seems drastic & I could understand your reservations, it’s happening with some frequency in 2010+ 4Runners as they have no forward mounting position for a full length rack. Outcomes have been good. That would probably be a good place to get some tips before tackling it.

JungleSkunk

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I imagine you just need to go through the roof. While this seems drastic & I could understand your reservations, it’s happening with some frequency in 2010+ 4Runners as they have no forward mounting position for a full length rack. Outcomes have been good. That would probably be a good place to get some tips before tackling it.
There are adjustable mount options out there that dont require a ton of modification. If you seal everything up properly it should last the life of the vehicle.s-l1600.jpg

Mustdoug

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Troy IL. (outside St.Louis Mo)
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Johnson
Love the rigs. This thread just proves you can really use ANYTHING to get out in the back country. NO, you wont be doing hardcore rock crawling, but you can get around pretty much anywhere in any rig. Imagination is KEY!
Yes I’ll be fabin something up like rock slingers. The van was original with the 4X4 but the 1973 setup was really lack of suspension. Finished updating most the front end. I’m hoping to jump back on it soon.

Reactions: Broke and RainGoat

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
The the people quoting my statement about rock crawling, that was exactly my point. Most people do not want to go bouncing over rocks all day. They want to travel and explore. And most stock rigs with decent clearance gets you there. Hence th reason I started this thread. Anyone can lift a jk or taco and go. I want to see rigs with little or no support doing the same thing.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Reactions: Broke and RainGoat

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I don't see anything wrong with any of them (with one exception) I wouldn't get within a hundred feet of the guy with the chicken coop on top of his rig.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I want to shake that guy's hand. That's incredible. [emoji23]

I'd like to see where that bull bar that goes into the engine well is mounted to.
This baby may have a full body roll cage inside since it's a unibody. I think it's more than capable of doing whatever I would do with it.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
If you are not familiar with the Gambler 500, I highly recommend checking it out. Some of the most insane off road builds you will ever find... although I am not too sure if they would work to well for overlanding.