Rank V

Traveler III

Colorado
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Brandon
Member #

The app was easily installed on my iPad Pro and works with the screen size and functionality. I will say, that being a design implementation of not working without location settings means I have deleted it from my iPad. Disappointing because using the larger screen is nice to use.

Reactions: trail_runn4r

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Actually it was by design. We tried lots of work arounds before the Beta was released to no avail because of the roadblocks Apple put in place do to the fact the OB1 is first and foremost a navigation app. Secondly OB1 isn’t supported on iPad yet. iPads handle things differently than a iPhone.
I would be curious to know what kind of roadblock are we talking about. Because if you take Google Maps as example, you can disable access to you location and freely use the app to browse the map and POI.

The iPad handles things differently from iPhone mostly for what regards UI. iPad OS has few additional features but overall they are behaving identically.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The app was easily installed on my iPad Pro and works with the screen size and functionality. I will say, that being a design implementation of not working without location settings means I have deleted it from my iPad. Disappointing because using the larger screen is nice to use.
Yes it loads on the iPad, but there are a lot of known issues with using the iPad, some of the early issues have been worked out, but still a lot have been untouched.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I would be curious to know what kind of roadblock are we talking about. Because if you take Google Maps as example, you can disable access to you location and freely use the app to browse the map and POI.

The iPad handles things differently from iPhone mostly for what regards UI. iPad OS has few additional features but overall they are behaving identically.
Maybe you should have a conversation with your director @Neal A. Tew and @Michael . Neal breaks the app almost daily and knows more about the limits of the app then any one else.

5280Ranger

Rank V

Traveler III

Colorado
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Brandon
Member #

Yes it loads on the iPad, but there are a lot of known issues with using the iPad, some of the early issues have been worked out, but still a lot have been untouched.
I get it. I am not here to argue with anyone. When I signed up, I agreed to provide my feedback (I applied through, and was approved for the 'higher tier', to help test the new features), so that's what I am doing. I can't be the only one who doesn't like to enable location services on every device I own. My phone is the only device that has access to location services and I am *very* choosy about what I allow.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I get it. I am not here to argue with anyone. When I signed up, I agreed to provide my feedback (I applied through, and was approved for the 'higher tier', to help test the new features), so that's what I am doing. I can't be the only one who doesn't like to enable location services on every device I own. My phone is the only device that has access to location services and I am *very* choosy about what I allow.
Well for a location app not to have location services turned off makes the app kind of useless (talking about nav apps in general not just OB1). I have several other nav apps, and all require location services to be on or funny things happen. Like trying to look at peaks in Colorado and while zooming in being sent over to Mt Fuji.

trail_runn4r

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Sure, but since you mentioned those issues I though you knew more about them. No problem :)

All I can say is that force the user to do something against their will is never a good choice. I mean, even Google that makes the majority of its revenues selling your data, allows you to disable the location when using their product lol
This is not OB's case (hopefully!) so forcing the user to enable location even to just checkout the app, or use the forum/RP is not a good choice.

The average user will tap anything regardless, but some people are more savvy or concerned about the personal information they share with 3rd parties.
I believe the goal here is to attract people, not push them away! Just my 2 cents

5280Ranger

Rank V

Traveler III

Colorado
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Brandon
Member #

Well for a location app not to have location services turned off makes the app kind of useless (talking about nav apps in general not just OB1). I have several other nav apps, and all require location services to be on or funny things happen. Like trying to look at peaks in Colorado and while zooming in being sent over to Mt Fuji.
OB1 is useful for forum access too, not just mapping. I get that the primary function is mapping, but there are other non-location dependent features. This is how I'd like to use it on my iPad. I have location services on for my phone. I also don't have a lot of mapping apps on my phone, so I can control what has access to my location. Again, I am just providing my opinion on how I would like to use the app.

trail_runn4r

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Why useless? For example Google Maps is a great resource to see what's going on in a specified area, find restaurants, shops, read reviews, check out images of the places etc.
Isn't this also one of the selling points for OB1? With people adding campsites, landmarks, gas station, public restrooms...

The issue you described above it's just a bug, has nothing to do with access to location.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Why useless? For example Google Maps is a great resource to see what's going on in a specified area, find restaurants, shops, read reviews, check out images of the places etc.
Isn't this also one of the selling points for OB1? With people adding campsites, landmarks, gas station, public restrooms...

The issue you described above it's just a bug, has nothing to do with access to location.
I would agree my situation would seam to be a bug, but several unrelated apps do it, Strava, Ride With GPS, and Polaris Ride Command all do the same thing I described. Google Maps is great for POIs, but that’s about it. Google maps can’t get me to Mt. Harris Fire Tower, infact it takes me to Montana when in fact it’s located 15 miles north of my house.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
That is just flat busted, and not intended.

I think @M Rose was referring to something else. He knows the app very well.

Whereas Mike is correct we know we have work to do on tablet formatting and don’t consider it finished, it should basically work.

I’ll look into this issue and try to reproduce. It is intended that if you decline location services once, that’s it. It should not bug you again. You should see a “no permission” flag on the map as a reminder the app can’t function.

Thanks for the report.

M

5280Ranger

Rank V

Traveler III

Colorado
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Brandon
Member #

Whereas Mike is correct we know we have work to do on tablet formatting and don’t consider it finished, it should basically work.

I’ll look into this issue and try to reproduce. It is intended that if you decline location services once, that’s it. It should not bug you again. You should see a “no permission” flag on the map as a reminder the app can’t function.

Thanks for the report.

M

Thanks @Michael - let me know if I can do anything to help you pinpoint the issue. I will say, it started only AFTER I got approved for the new access. This could have been due to an update to the app or access level change.

Reactions: Michael

trail_runn4r

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Thanks for the report.

M

Glad to hear!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL

Thanks for the report.

M

Thanks @Michael - let me know if I can do anything to help you pinpoint the issue. I will say, it started only AFTER I got approved for the new access. This could have been due to an update to the app or access level change.
My guess is new app version. Your video is very helpful. Thanks.

Z Adventures

Rank VI
Investor

Pathfinder III

Georgia, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Zeilenga
Member #

I have an issue on my Samsung S10+. Android v12. OB1 v11.7.0.0311

Steps to reproduce issue
1. Fresh phone restart
2. Open OB1 and land on map page
3. Click on a POI on the map for more detail.
4. Use the Android Go Back button
5. Takes you to OB1 splash screen and you can't get past this screen back to map. (Happens 90% of the time)
Sometimes if it does take me back to map and I swipe up on the details again to get full screen details and then hit Go Back and it gets stuck on splash.
6. use Android Go Back button and app goes to background.
7. Closing app and restarting app will not get you past splash screen
8. Going into Apps, select OB1 and Force Stop will allow you to get back in.

I wish it happened every time because I know this makes troubleshooting more difficult when it doesn't. Let me know if I can provide any more info.

Other places in the app the Go Back button works as expected.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I have an issue on my Samsung S10+. Android v12. OB1 v11.7.0.0311

Steps to reproduce issue
1. Fresh phone restart
2. Open OB1 and land on map page
3. Click on a POI on the map for more detail.
4. Use the Android Go Back button
5. Takes you to OB1 splash screen and you can't get past this screen back to map. (Happens 90% of the time)
Sometimes if it does take me back to map and I swipe up on the details again to get full screen details and then hit Go Back and it gets stuck on splash.
6. use Android Go Back button and app goes to background.
7. Closing app and restarting app will not get you past splash screen
8. Going into Apps, select OB1 and Force Stop will allow you to get back in.

I wish it happened every time because I know this makes troubleshooting more difficult when it doesn't. Let me know if I can provide any more info.

Other places in the app the Go Back button works as expected.
OK thank you for this report. I’ve made a ticket for our developers and we treat app-blocking features with high priority. Thanks again.

trail_runn4r

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Not sure this has been reported already but from what I remember tapping on a notification to open a message never worked properly.
At the beginning after tapping the app would open to the first message to the thread. Now the app opens to the correct page of the thread.

At least for me on iOS 15, this is still broken, the app should open to the right thread, right page, right message.

Thank you!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Not sure this has been reported already but from what I remember tapping on a notification to open a message never worked properly.
At the beginning after tapping the app would open to the first message to the thread. Now the app opens to the correct page of the thread.

At least for me on iOS 15, this is still broken, the app should open to the right thread, right page, right message.

Thank you!
OK - an extremely problematic issue for some users. Since it is not consistent (i dont have the issue) its been difficult to track down. Any specifics that might help would be greatly appreciated - one test - if you see a push note - wait 3 minutes, then tap it and see if it works. That would indicate we might have a race condition in the system and would be helpful to know. Thank you!