Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hey folks,
I'm having a rough time with the app and trying to figure out what might be operator error vs issues in the app.

Phone: Google Pixel 6
Build #: SQ1D.220105.007
Kernel: 5.10.43-android12-9-00005-g740f7fbe5f39-ab7943734
App: 11.2.2.0111

tl;dr of issues:
  • member number wraps on welcome screen (cosmetic) (0:02)
  • 3 word locations (e.g. excellent.amazing.skyscraper) not searchable (0:20)
  • often see "unable to load information..." (0:55)
  • forums won't load (1:02)
  • forums by category just scroll loading animation (1:12)
  • clicking person tile in lower right causes app freeze (1:35)
  • often see "something went wrong while fetching user data" on first start (screenshot)

I've linked a screen recording and attached a screenshot to hopefully capture/share what i'm seeing. Happy to provide any additional info.

Thank You!

Kevin M.
Update your version of OB1, your running several builds behind.

Redmax431

Rank II

Contributor II

Menlo Park, San Mateo County, California, United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Update your version of OB1, your running several builds behind.
Mike,
Thank you, I didn't realize just how fast the team was moving on updates. I was able to pull the latest version from the play store this morning (11.3.0.0126). Unfortunately I'm am seeing the same issues persisting in this build. Happy to grab another screen recording or further details as needed.

Kevin M.

Reactions: M Rose

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey folks,
I'm having a rough time with the app and trying to figure out what might be operator error vs issues in the app.

Phone: Google Pixel 6
Build #: SQ1D.220105.007
Kernel: 5.10.43-android12-9-00005-g740f7fbe5f39-ab7943734
App: 11.2.2.0111

tl;dr of issues:
  • member number wraps on welcome screen (cosmetic) (0:02)
  • 3 word locations (e.g. excellent.amazing.skyscraper) not searchable (0:20)
  • often see "unable to load information..." (0:55)
  • forums won't load (1:02)
  • forums by category just scroll loading animation (1:12)
  • clicking person tile in lower right causes app freeze (1:35)
  • often see "something went wrong while fetching user data" on first start (screenshot)

I've linked a screen recording and attached a screenshot to hopefully capture/share what i'm seeing. Happy to provide any additional info.

Thank You!

Kevin M.
I’ll look further into this. It’s almost acting like a no, or bad service issue. We do need to adjust the number. That can happen if you increase font size.

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

Reading the forums, replying, etc. has gotten significantly better in recent versions. That said, it would be amazing if the app saved our position within a thread whenever we go into a message and back to the thread. It's very confusing (and time wasting) to be thrown back at the top of a thread or forum every time.

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

Most recent version, on Android: map downloads are working, though selecting the area to download is a bit confusing.

Also, downloading maps for a meetup results in a dark overlay that doesn't go away (I have to hard close the app and restart). The map, however, seems to download properly.

Reactions: Michael and M Rose
D

Deleted member 14476

Platform: iOS
App Version: 11.4.0.2022020720
Description of Bug: Can’t figure the exact time, I either want to say after maybe 12-24 hours of not using OB1 I’m getting booted out and having to relogin.

Reactions: Michael

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Reading the forums, replying, etc. has gotten significantly better in recent versions. That said, it would be amazing if the app saved our position within a thread whenever we go into a message and back to the thread. It's very confusing (and time wasting) to be thrown back at the top of a thread or forum every time.
This should be fixed in version 11.4.0 but please let me know your OS and Device if this is not the case.

Reactions: cgranier

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Description of Bug: Can’t figure the exact time, I either want to say after maybe 12-24 hours of not using OB1 I’m getting booted out and having to relogin.
Thank you for reporting. This is something we are currently looking into. Not acceptable if you are off grid top be logged out - then you cant get back in! It is a top priority.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Most recent version, on Android: map downloads are working, though selecting the area to download is a bit confusing.

Also, downloading maps for a meetup results in a dark overlay that doesn't go away (I have to hard close the app and restart). The map, however, seems to download properly.
The map downloads whatever the map is centered on. We did this for ease of use, not to make it hard - apparently we have work to do. Can you let me know what is confusing so we can improve?

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

This should be fixed in version 11.4.0 but please let me know your OS and Device if this is not the case.
I'm on Android. Samsung S21Ultra with latest OS.

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

The map downloads whatever the map is centered on. We did this for ease of use, not to make it hard - apparently we have work to do. Can you let me know what is confusing so we can improve?
The dialog when downloading a map says "Position map, name then download" so I though I should be able to "position" the map by somehow manipulating the shaded square area.

D

Deleted member 14476

Thank you for reporting. This is something we are currently looking into. Not acceptable if you are off grid top be logged out - then you cant get back in! It is a top priority.
Rodger that, seems to be about 12 hours as I just logged back in

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Just downloaded the app update...IOS.

I then posted to a thread...in that thread only, I see my reply but as I scroll back to see prior posts it cycles and takes me back several pages to post #1 of that thread. This only happens in the thread I posted in.

5280Ranger

Rank V

Traveler III

Colorado
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Brandon
Member #

I'm not sure if I am in the right place, but I couldn't figure out where to go...

I am on the beta version of testing the maps and such on the most recent version of the app. When I use the app on my iPad, it can't do anything because I don't have location services active. I don't have anything with location services on my iPad, and I won't enable it. This means the app is completely unusable on iPad. I understand that the new features require location services, but I should be able to decline it and use the app without it.

I have location services on my phone, so I can use the functions when I am using that.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I'm not sure if I am in the right place, but I couldn't figure out where to go...

I am on the beta version of testing the maps and such on the most recent version of the app. When I use the app on my iPad, it can't do anything because I don't have location services active. I don't have anything with location services on my iPad, and I won't enable it. This means the app is completely unusable on iPad. I understand that the new features require location services, but I should be able to decline it and use the app without it.

I have location services on my phone, so I can use the functions when I am using that.
There isn’t a beta version of the app any more… are you on version 11.7.0.2022031123? By design, location services have to be activated for the app to work.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

There isn’t a beta version of the app any more… are you on version 11.7.0.2022031123? By design, location services have to be activated for the app to work.
I would not define this being a "design" choice, rather a "questionable" implementation choice.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I would not define this being a "design" choice, rather a "questionable" implementation choice.
Actually it was by design. We tried lots of work arounds before the Beta was released to no avail because of the roadblocks Apple put in place do to the fact the OB1 is first and foremost a navigation app. Secondly OB1 isn’t supported on iPad yet. iPads handle things differently than a iPhone.