OB SouthWest rendezvous

• HTML tutorial

Bruce Dunn

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Hey everyone, I do live in New Mexico, just became a member and a beginner at overlanding. I love to join this trip if schedule works out, It will be nice to travel with other people. If there anything I can do to supports this trip, just ask. Bruce

Reactions: Jeff Graham

Smidee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
If anyone here in new mexico would like to meet up with Map and I. I'll be head up to Los Alamos around the 25th of aug. This trip is to map out an area for a yearly or more meet for the southwest meet. this trip will be a quick trip. let me know if I should make a feed for just this trip.

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

I started a post on Facebook SW for this topic - planning on trying for mid to late October for an official SW Regional OTGR. Check out the FB post as the poll will be helpful information for the planning.

I'm not familiar with the trip in this thread - need to read up the chain which I'll do now.

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

OK - caught up. Love the enthusiasm. Let's keep this thread going on scouting options. The geographic center of the SW region is near Clovis - so going closer to Albuquerque or Southern TX needs to be evaluated for distance vs. participation efficiency. As for planning an "OTG" rally, we need to keep that through HQ (which I can do) - and I am glad to be on-board.

I would be up for some north of Sante Fe / Los Alamos exploration - I've been doing a lot north of Sante Fe and Pecos, lot's of cool options up there - but those have a risk of snow by mid to late October.

I can't do the weekend of the 26th due to prior to commitment - any chance either 8/19 or 9/9 could work?

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

I could meet up late afternoon on the 26th and camp that night, if that works better? - would bring wifey and kiddo too.

Reactions: Smidee

Maphesto

Rank 0

Contributor I

That works for me I'm in Los Alamos so it's a quick hop. I may probably won't be able to stay the night but I can hang out for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Smidee

Travis Barker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Antonio
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Barker
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I would like this south Texas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smidee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
The 16th through the 21st I have a family reunion up in Colorado. The 25th through the 27th I'm planing to meet up with MAP up north. I was looking at mapping a few place. North and south of New Mexico. North for the mountain man and south for the desert rat. I love all camping hot or cold. Cold most people can't held. Once MAP I and whoever map the area and come up with a plan. I'll build a rally point on the map and put up all the info. November and January is hunting season so my feeling on late October is a no go most hunters while be in their AO's before shuff kicks off. And we don't need any pissed off hunters.

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

I don't know about anyone else but I consider AZ NM TX CO UT OK the southwest region. What do you guys and gals think???

You may, but that isn't what we consider or are following.

Good points on hunting season - will look at that for the possible scheduling for sure. When you say, once you map, you'll put up a Rally Point, are you saying for an Official Rally or just a trip to host?

Thanks
Ryan

Smidee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
Will first it would be made into a video so that everyone can see what we are looking at. Then it would come down to the ones that want to help host this shindig, which means we have to do a meet up. Then more planing, then Final dates made. Like I said I want to check out northern and southern New Mexico for two events.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bruce Dunn

Smidee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
Why I pick those states is because in less then a day trip from Albuquerque I can be anywhere inside them states. I know New Mexico is center hub for the southwest region.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bruce Dunn

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
@Ryan Matthes I tried to pull you in early, when I started this thread. I'm glad you are with us now.
  1. Off the Grid events, which are OLB sponsored events with a very specific format. They are expensive for us to produce and require a lot of planning.
What is the very specific format that @Michael refered to?

You mentioned a Facebook page, that you are using to plan This event. Is that your preferd method of communicating, not the OB Forum?

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
OK - caught up. Love the enthusiasm. Let's keep this thread going on scouting options. The geographic center of the SW region is near Clovis - so going closer to Albuquerque or Southern TX needs to be evaluated for distance vs. participation efficiency. As for planning an "OTG" rally, we need to keep that through HQ (which I can do) - and I am glad to be on-board.

I would be up for some north of Sante Fe / Los Alamos exploration - I've been doing a lot north of Sante Fe and Pecos, lot's of cool options up there - but those have a risk of snow by mid to late October.

I can't do the weekend of the 26th due to prior to commitment - any chance either 8/19 or 9/9 could work?
I must not be in the cool kids club. What Facebook page are you referring to? I tend not to do Facebook. I would assume OB business, would be done on the Forum. If that's not your preference, let me know.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I must not be in the cool kids club. What Facebook page are you referring to? I tend not to do Facebook. I would assume OB business, would be done on the Forum. If that's not your preference, let me know.
This is the OBSW FB group where Ryan's poll post is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OverlandBoundSouthwest/

It's a closed group so you have to answer a couple questions and will then need to be 'approved'.

I prefer to look at stuff like this on the forum, as the FB groups are more difficult to find and follow older / larger topics. I tend to only use FB for quick photo posts and the like but understand others use it much more.