Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

@Levidale & @Road - Thanks guys, that's great!

@Road - Your idea of a private camping area geared to overlanders is something I have considered at length as well. I think it's great idea, especially around areas with large Overlanding draws like BBNP ad since there is such growth in Overlanding. I am considering it in the Alpine Loop area as a summer thing. My wife is a teacher, so we could essentially spend all summer up there, and we have some really close friends that live up there that could keep an eye on things when we're back here in Texas. Then once my wife retires, move up there full time.

Unfortnately my wife is just too close to retirement to even consider leaving Texas in the next 10 years or so.

Reactions: Road

Smidee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
@Ryan Matthes lets start exploring I regional event. Something in the same spirit as the OTG event, but for the region. Since you are in New Mexico, this might not be a bad state to look for a venue. What are your thoughts on this?

What are the community thoughts on this, would their be interest?
I'm here in albuquerque smack dab in the middle of everything. and this sounds like an awesome thing to start.

Reactions: Overland 505

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

@Levidale & @Road - Thanks guys, that's great!

@Road - Your idea of a private camping area geared to overlanders is something I have considered at length as well. I think it's great idea, especially around areas with large Overlanding draws like BBNP ad since there is such growth in Overlanding. I am considering it in the Alpine Loop area as a summer thing. My wife is a teacher, so we could essentially spend all summer up there, and we have some really close friends that live up there that could keep an eye on things when we're back here in Texas. Then once my wife retires, move up there full time.

Unfortnately my wife is just too close to retirement to even consider leaving Texas in the next 10 years or so.
@Chili - I've worked for weeks and stayed a lot over the years near you, in Plano, Las Colinas, Grapevine, etc, so know the area. I think a get-together next time I'm down that way could be productive, as far as discussing the potential of what we've both been thinking about. I have to run up to WI soon, then down to Alpine TX, so will let you know, if you're up for coffee or a beer.

Reactions: Craig M

Maphesto

Rank 0

Contributor I

The Jemez mountains up in northern NM are pretty awesome. There are a few spots we could use for a base camp area that could fit a ton of trucks for unimproved camping or there are a couple state campgrounds in the area that have water. There are a lot of trails out here most of it is not very technical but it's beautiful up here.

Depending on where we set up camp it's only 20min to an hour to get to town (Los Alamos) for food or autozone.

The trail to Cerro Palado is a lot of fun and there's nothing like the view from 10,000 feet. It can be done in a stock 4x4 if you're brave enough or at least it could last time I went.

I don't know the area real well but I can probably get a couple of guys who know the area real well to join us if that's where we decide to go there or we can just explore and map it out. Some of the trails show on google.

Being this high up your trucks and you won't have as much kick as they usually do but it's not that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Craig M and Smidee

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Sounds like a good possibility. We're still planning on scouting out Big Bend the first weekend in September. The idea is to check out camping feasibility and some trails to run as a group(s). Any chance you (or anyone else) would be willing to do something similar up there? Then we can post up our findings and just do a vote for interested participants.

Then the other one can be an option for the next regional event.

Just throwing out ideas and open to discussing!

Smidee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
Sounds like a good possibility. We're still planning on scouting out Big Bend the first weekend in September. The idea is to check out camping feasibility and some trails to run as a group(s). Any chance you (or anyone else) would be willing to do something similar up there? Then we can post up our findings and just do a vote for interested participants.

We have the enchanted circle, Jemez, Manzano and the Real Porco. All have great trials.

Smidee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
I know a few trails but I'm game for checking it out more up here I just need to find someone to go with. I don't like wheeling solo, especially with no cell service.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Where you at? I Take that back. These next two weeks I'm busy. But after that we can meet up.

Smidee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
Oh down in Las Cruces I know of a train that takes you back in time.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Thanks for scouting this out. If its not to much trouble, save the GPX files. Post the route, so we can all check it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smidee

DocTorres112

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Torres
Member #

I'm in El Paso and might be able to join you guys that first weekend in SEP. I' think I'm only about 3.5 hrs west of BB. I'll let you know as it gets a little closer and I clear this w/ the boss (wife). If anything, I may bring my 8 year old son along for the trip.

-Chris

Smidee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
I'm in El Paso and might be able to join you guys that first weekend in SEP. I' think I'm only about 3.5 hrs west of BB. I'll let you know as it gets a little closer and I clear this w/ the boss (wife). If anything, I may bring my 8 year old son along for the trip.

-Chris
I was stationed at fort bliss. Your 5 hours from BB.

OverlandChevy

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

San Francisco, Ca 94110
First Name
Edgar
Last Name
Molina
Member #

Hey OB SW Team,

I'm in California and am more then willing to make the journey. Ill be researching trails in NM also. Thanks for taking initiative guys.

Smidee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
Hey OB SW Team,

I'm in California and am more then willing to make the journey. Ill be researching trails in NM also. Thanks for taking initiative guys.
Your welcome. There's all kinds of trails out here that range from beginner to advanced.