Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
@Ryan Matthes lets start exploring I regional event. Something in the same spirit as the OTG event, but for the region. Since you are in New Mexico, this might not be a bad state to look for a venue. What are your thoughts on this?

What are the community thoughts on this, would their be interest?

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I'd be interested in this as well

Reactions: Overland 505

DocTorres112

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Torres
Member #

Also interested, I'm in El Paso, and any excuse to find water and trees is good w/ me. I'm in the Army so short notice stuff tends not to work but either way, I hoping to start attending some OB meets.

Thanks,
-Chris

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
It would definitely want @Ryan Matthes input, he is our OB Regional Ambassador for the Southwest. I thing that something in the early October time frame, would be cool. What does the community think?

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Also interested, I'm in El Paso, and any excuse to find water and trees is good w/ me. I'm in the Army so short notice stuff tends not to work but either way, I hoping to start attending some OB meets.

Thanks,
-Chris
How much notice, does your chain of command require, to put n for leave?

DocTorres112

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Torres
Member #

How much notice, does your chain of command require, to put n for leave?
I have a fair amount of autonomy now that I'm a PA, so about a 1 month notice to give my BC a heads up is all that's needed.

That said, a friend of mine is moving to Brazil for mission work and we were looking at taking a trip of some sort around Columbus weekend, so maybe that would be a good time to plan something. One of the things we looked at was an overland trip from Albuquerque to the Grand Canyon. Might be ambitious but that was something we were throwing around.

Furthermore, I'm still really new to this so outside of getting my Xterra pro-4, I'm lacking in many of the other things needed for a SAFE trip. I'm looking into some GPS items as well as some recovery equipment.

-Chris

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I have a fair amount of autonomy now that I'm a PA, so about a 1 month notice to give my BC a heads up is all that's needed.

That said, a friend of mine is moving to Brazil for mission work and we were looking at taking a trip of some sort around Columbus weekend, so maybe that would be a good time to plan something. One of the things we looked at was an overland trip from Albuquerque to the Grand Canyon. Might be ambitious but that was something we were throwing around.

Furthermore, I'm still really new to this so outside of getting my Xterra pro-4, I'm lacking in many of the other things needed for a SAFE trip. I'm looking into some GPS items as well as some recovery equipment.

-Chris
Best part of a trip like this, you can lean on other members of the community. I'm sure I will have all the recovery gear youd need. Not every rig needs to carry everything.

As long as you have a food, water, shelter, etc...*: you will be good to go. The community pulls together.

* I'm sure the required equipment list will be short.

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

I love the topic - and...great timing! This is on the list of things to get going. YES - I would love to get a SW Event planned - and open to suggestions on location. So we are AZ, NM, TX, and OK - Eastern NM / TX border is about the Geographic center...the problem is, there isn't much out there. Maybe Palo Duro Canyone in Amarillo, but that is private and I don't know what it takes to get it open or available, but we could certainly look into it.

QUESTION: As we are overlanders, we are no stranger to nor shy away from a drive....that said, how far would folks be willing to drive for an event? I am going to loop Michael and Corrie on this one to see if we can plan something and get them out for it as well.

What do folks thing about location and distance?

Reactions: BigTuna117

DocTorres112

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Torres
Member #

Given the timeframe, I'm open to a lot of options, especially if this or any future events fall on a national/government holiday weekend as the Army is really good at giving time off during those times.

So, as long as I could drive to a meet up spot in 6-8 hrs, I'd be good to go.

One other thing, I have 4 kiddos, all boys, ages 8,5,3 and 1. My first two are starting to get into camping, especially the oldest, so he'd likely tag along if that's okay.

-Chris

Reactions: Smidee

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
T
I love the topic - and...great timing! This is on the list of things to get going. YES - I would love to get a SW Event planned - and open to suggestions on location. So we are AZ, NM, TX, and OK - Eastern NM / TX border is about the Geographic center...the problem is, there isn't much out there. Maybe Palo Duro Canyone in Amarillo, but that is private and I don't know what it takes to get it open or available, but we could certainly look into it.

QUESTION: As we are overlanders, we are no stranger to nor shy away from a drive....that said, how far would folks be willing to drive for an event? I am going to loop Michael and Corrie on this one to see if we can plan something and get them out for it as well.

What do folks thing about location and distance?
Their wasn't any pushback wen I suggested New Mexico. I'M sure you know of great trails. I have spent limited time in Lincoln National Forest. I would love to see more of this beautiful state. if we make this an annual event, each year it can move to a new Venue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Overland 505

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

There is a Texas State Park at Palo Duro Canyon and they have a group camp area that looks promising, but not sure how much offroading there is available in the area.

Group site:http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/palo-duro-canyon/fees-facilities/group-facilities-

Wolfberry Group Camp (50/30-amp electric & water)

Consists of nine campsites with 30/50-amp electric and water hookups. Restrooms and showers are located within walking distance, in the Juniper camping loop. Maximum of 72 people allowed in this area. Maximum of 8 people per site allowed, children included. Maximum of 2 vehicles per site are allowed. Any vehicles beyond two will be charged an excess vehicle charge of $5 per vehicle per night. This facility cannot be reserved online; call the Customer Service Center (512) 389-8900 for reservations.

• Picnic table
  • Fire ring
  • Tent pad
  • Lantern post
  • Restrooms/showers in walking distance
  • 9 campsites (72 person max.)
  • Wheelchair accessible restrooms
  • Includes some wheelchair friendly campsites
  • Located near Tasajillo Pavilion
With only 9 sites, people can double up and / or I am sure there are others that would be happy grabbing their own site elsewhere in the park and come over for group activities.

Otherwise, NE NM seems like the most promising..

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

Grew up in Amarillo. Palo duro is strictly hiking and horse trails. They paved the road and built bridges over the water crossings [emoji19]. Now there is the Canadian river north of Amarillo along the Dumas highway, it's geared more toward an off road park. There's also a smaller one north of lake Merideth that I know of. Not nearly as busy but smaller and more out of the way. Only reason I found it was because one of my oil leases was back in that area

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
We have a few big choices to make, to put this together. Where and when, being the bigest. Lest start throwing out suggestions on the where. Let's try to be semi specific, as to a trail and site that could support a group event. We can create a poll, and put it to a vote.

Last edited:

DocTorres112

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Torres
Member #

We have a few big choices to make, to put this together. Where and when, being rhe bigest. Lest start throwing out suggestions on the where. Let's try to be semi specific, as to a trail and site that could support a group event. We can create a poll, and put it to a vote.
Though not specific as requested, I'm all for something in NM, perhaps trails through a few of the national forests, something similar to the enchanted rockies trail.

-Chris