Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culpeper, Va.
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Carter
Member #

I got an invite. Just can't make it as we're heading out towards Front Royal for some wine tasting for fiance's birthday.

Welcome from Woodbridge!
decent vineyards out that way but swing down 522 and hit Rappahanock cellars and the ones on rte 211 like grey Ghost

Reactions: geekyadam

Casper66

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culpeper, Va.
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Carter
Member #

For anyone looking for a shop near Stafford/Fredericksburg, Iron Pig Off-road continues to impress. Just picked up Specter with its new SSO rear bumper - amazing install job!
It's good to hear something positive abut them. I know a few guys who have used them especially for LT rear suspensions and they royally screwed their trucks up so bad they had to take other places and have them completely redone.

Reactions: Hafaday

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

It's good to hear something positive abut them. I know a few guys who have used them especially for LT rear suspensions and they royally screwed their trucks up so bad they had to take other places and have them completely redone.
Iron Pig Off-road has my confidence, and they’ll continue to get my business.

With that said, I hold Off Road Innovations in Winchester in high regard as well. I can’ tell you how much time they spent with me when I was first considering my build and their input proved invaluable. They did the suspension, wheels and tires install on Specter and were outstanding to work with.

Last edited:

Casper66

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culpeper, Va.
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Iron Pig Off-road has my confidence, and they’ll continue to get my business.

With that said, I hold Off Road Innovations in Winchester in high regard as well. I can’ tell you how much time they spent with me when I was first considering my build and their input proved invaluable. They did the suspension, wheels and tires install on Specter and were outstanding to work with.
I have heard of Off road Inovations but never been there. Like I said i am glad to hear you had good experiences I'd hate to hear another horror story. I do all my own work especially the welding and fab work and have worked on many other Tacomas. it's just fun. Due to this, however, I have very limitted experience with any of the shops most around here just do bolt on mods. If i start talking with them about weld on sliders or a cab mount chop they go cross eyed and just don't understand.

Reactions: Hafaday

mrrmatthews

Rank 0

Contributor I

Norfolk, VA
First Name
MARK
Last Name
MATTHEWS
Member #

I know this is an overlanding site so campgrounds are frowned upon, but, just for the purposes of a meetup- Devil's Backbone brewery has an awesome campground if the Charlottesville area is somewhat central to the VA people in the group. Great facilities and not a very long walk to the brewery. Also have many breweries, wineries and distilleries just a quick uber ride away. And, only a 25 minute drive to Bald Mountain/Big Levels trail. Nice weekend trip.

If campgrounds are not everyone's preference, there is a dispersed camping area in the Bald Mountain area connected to the trails. We have camped there before. We had 6 rigs and two camping trailers with our group and there is room for more. The only downside is you take your chances whether or not there will be other people there when you arrive as there is no "check-in".

jakeandhisdodge

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern Virginia
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Ten Eyck
Member #

I know this is an overlanding site so campgrounds are frowned upon, but, just for the purposes of a meetup- Devil's Backbone brewery has an awesome campground if the Charlottesville area is somewhat central to the VA people in the group. Great facilities and not a very long walk to the brewery. Also have many breweries, wineries and distilleries just a quick uber ride away. And, only a 25 minute drive to Bald Mountain/Big Levels trail. Nice weekend trip.

If campgrounds are not everyone's preference, there is a dispersed camping area in the Bald Mountain area connected to the trails. We have camped there before. We had 6 rigs and two camping trailers with our group and there is room for more. The only downside is you take your chances whether or not there will be other people there when you arrive as there is no "check-in".
All of that sounds pretty good to me

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

A place to sleep, park the rig and hang with fellow overlanders in stumbling distance of a brewery is always a good thing!

100RNR

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fredericksburg, VA, USA
First Name
E
Last Name
R
Member #

I'm good with campgrounds from time to time.
And DB has a good bourbon selection and great fried pickles, so....

Casper66

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culpeper, Va.
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ok, so weather at least looks dry for Saturday. I actually don't think the invitations that were generated went to anyone active in this thread but I think you all were able to find the Rally Point event for the details. It is showing as PDT 1600-1900 (GMT -5:00), but for anyone that may be confused by that, 4pm-7pm local time (EST). I personally don't drink coffee or alcohol and is why I set up as byob so you don't have a guy like me making your coffee or picking out your suds haha, but I will have water and sodas on hand and if people are hungry we can certainly grill some burgers and dogs or what better, put some dogs on sticks and cook in the fire. After the post above by Init6, definitely looks like there are some cool trips to do in VA, so looking forward to meeting some folks to link up with from time to time. I'm also a member of the Coast Guard Jeep Club and going to push the invite to those I work with that may be interested and are in the DMV area.
Ok so I’m trying to get things done so I can make it. I’ll try and leave here 2-2:30 and jyst hope I don’t get lost on the way lol. I’m not familiar with that area at all

Reactions: jakeandhisdodge

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Ok, so weather at least looks dry for Saturday. I actually don't think the invitations that were generated went to anyone active in this thread but I think you all were able to find the Rally Point event for the details. It is showing as PDT 1600-1900 (GMT -5:00), but for anyone that may be confused by that, 4pm-7pm local time (EST). I personally don't drink coffee or alcohol and is why I set up as byob so you don't have a guy like me making your coffee or picking out your suds haha, but I will have water and sodas on hand and if people are hungry we can certainly grill some burgers and dogs or what better, put some dogs on sticks and cook in the fire. After the post above by Init6, definitely looks like there are some cool trips to do in VA, so looking forward to meeting some folks to link up with from time to time. I'm also a member of the Coast Guard Jeep Club and going to push the invite to those I work with that may be interested and are in the DMV area.
Here's the link for the Rally Point: https://www.overlandbound.com/event/nova-meet-and-greet/

Looking like I can probably make it as well!

Casper66

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culpeper, Va.
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Hope to see you guys here, thanks!
It says about an hour and a half to get there. I am thinking leaving around 2:15 I may be a little early if that i ok? I wanted to leave my self some tme in case I get turned around somewhere. This is an overlanding adventure for me as I don't get up into the city they said push your comfort zones LOL

jakeandhisdodge

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern Virginia
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Ten Eyck
Member #

It says about an hour and a half to get there. I am thinking leaving around 2:15 I may be a little early if that i ok? I wanted to leave my self some tme in case I get turned around somewhere. This is an overlanding adventure for me as I don't get up into the city they said push your comfort zones LOL
As long as you stay outta dc you're good, i use to have to do contractor work all around there and it is so easy to get turned around. And the bicyclist act like they're straight out of mad max.

Reactions: Casper66

Casper66

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culpeper, Va.
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Carter
Member #

As long as you stay outta dc you're good, i use to have to do contractor work all around there and it is so easy to get turned around. And the bicyclist act like they're straight out of mad max.
Maybe I will bring the OB badge and we can see if there is a good place to put it. I have removed all the other emblems from the truck except the bed side decals because my wife liked them

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

cgflyer

US East Region Member Rep, MD
Investor

Enthusiast III

Lorton, VA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
McCullough
Member #

Service Branch
USCG Retired
Early is fine