Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Wow this place is dead. I spent the afternoon working on the truck. Fixed the underhood lighting and a pod light bracket. Then I did something I have been wanting to try. I blacked out the center section of the hood. I used a peelable paint for now so if I don't like it I can peel it off but if i do like it I will redo it with real paint.

View attachment 122719
Been wanting to do something exactly like this!!!! [emoji1360][emoji1360]

Nootherids

Rank V

Influencer II

Wow this place is dead. I spent the afternoon working on the truck. Fixed the underhood lighting and a pod light bracket. Then I did something I have been wanting to try. I blacked out the center section of the hood. I used a peelable paint for now so if I don't like it I can peel it off but if i do like it I will redo it with real paint.

View attachment 122719
I’m loving this!!! More pics!

Reactions: Casper66

100RNR

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fredericksburg, VA, USA
First Name
E
Last Name
R
Member #

I priced a guy here and was expensive maybe be I’ll get the vinyl and try it myself if I decide to keep it
Yeah, it wasn't cheap. Not too much either, I guess. There are some guys on Fredericksburg that are really good.

Having watched them do it, I might try it myself next time.

Casper66

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culpeper, Va.
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Yeah, it wasn't cheap. Not too much either, I guess. There are some guys on Fredericksburg that are really good.

Having watched them do it, I might try it myself next time.
That's kinda why I decided to do it in plasti dip. I know if I didn't like it in vinyl it could have easily been removed but a $300 risk I didn't want to take. The dip is actually pretty damn durable but having painted for years the lack of clean edges wears on me. A $25 dollar risk was a whole lot more reasonable for me. I like the vinyl avery ob I have seen done is spot on. A friend in Centerville has his whole truck wrapped orange

Casper66

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culpeper, Va.
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Carter
Member #

What's the trick to getting the crispest lines with plastidip?
Pull the tape while the dip is wet. I even went back over the edges just prior to pulling the tape and still didn't get crisp edges. If somebody knows better please enlighten us. I painted vehicles and equipment for 30+ years and have done a fair bit of graphics but i can not get dip to leave a crisp edge. If it bothers me I'll just get a roll of 1/4" black or red pinstripe and edge it myself.

Reactions: cgflyer

cgflyer

US East Region Member Rep, MD
Investor

Enthusiast III

Lorton, VA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
McCullough
Member #

Service Branch
USCG Retired

View attachment 122719
I did a hood stripe on my JK with Plasti Dip. It last without blemish for over 3 years

Reactions: Casper66

Casper66

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culpeper, Va.
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Carter
Member #

I did a hood stripe on my JK with Plasti Dip. It last without blemish for over 3 years
I'm diggin it so far. I'll either give it some time to see if I really like it and strip it and actually paint it on or just leave the dip it's kinda rubber coating protection anyway. The edges not being nice and clean is what irritates me but its just because i am used to regular paint when doing any sort of graffics. I guess i could run a piec of pin stripe down the edges to clean it up IDk

Casper66

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culpeper, Va.
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Busy day getting a few things cleaned up around here. We are checking out Pochahontas State park next weekend. I bought a new stove at expo so I got it out and messed with it for a bit much better controls than the Coleman.
I installed larger tires on the camper earlier this year and I had made a table that pins in place over the spare . When I got done fabbing the box on the tongue i had some extra materials so I figured a table would be handy back by the cooking area and, well, this just seemed logical. I fabbed a couple of runners inside the tp of the box so when not in use it just slides in and stowes away.

1572142416570.png

1572142460588.png

Last edited:

Casper66

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culpeper, Va.
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Haha. She has her moments.

I see your still digging the trailer. I keep tossing around the idea of the Woolybear for a gear hauler.
The Wooly Bear is a great platform. Warren at Road trip has used some inginuity and come up with some really cool add on racks for them. I believe he has even developed an elevating tent platform. That's a tough little trailer.
Yep, we are still diggin the Moth. Just haven't been able to get out much this year with everything going on. I am also woefully uneducated in finding good off grid spots that will be my winter project