Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Kind of late notice/last minute... but I threw up a Rally Point for tomorrow morning just in case:

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Kind of late notice/last minute... but I threw up a Rally Point for tomorrow morning just in case:

Small crew... but a good time was had!

Great catching up @Txcoast and @12Sven95 !

IMG_3280.jpg

IMG_3281.jpg

IMG_3282.jpg

IMG_3283.jpg

Last edited:

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Happy Monday everyone! Anyone have anything planned for weekend of 7/19-7/21?

This weekend we're going camping with some extended family. Just normal camping at Prince William Forest park, nothing offroad or anything, they're barely into normal family car camping with their minivan heh. However, after this weekend camping trip, my 15-year-old nephew will be staying with Courtney and I for a couple weeks. He normally lives with my sister up in Erie, PA, but he's been spending the last couple weeks of his Summer break from school down at my mom's place near Stafford, and we had planned on him coming to stay with us for a couple weeks as well, and that starts after this weekend. He likes visiting us because I'm a big geek and he loves video games and geeky stuff too, but I'd like to get him outside and see some trail time if possible. I love that he's into geeky stuff that I'm into, but I want to make sure he spends time outside, experiencing fun stuff with other people. I didn't socialize nearly enough when I was young and I don't want him to follow that same introverted-computer-nerd-without-friends route that I did haha!

So my first question for everyone is to find out if anyone plans to go out the weekend of 7/19-7/21 that we could tag along. My second question is, if no one else is going out that weekend, what trails exist around here within an hour or two drive of us (remember I'm down in Woodbridge, VA). For example, I remember there's trails in Clifton (first time taking my current truck offroad thanks to @Exped4x4 !), but unsure on permission/access to those trails (and I forget where they are). In other words, what else is there for just a day trip without requiring a 4+ hour drive? I'm cool with just a day drive, hit some trails, teach the kid a few things about vehicles, have some lunch on the trail, maybe try to show him how to drive stick before heading out. Imagine how cool it would be to start 10th/11th grade in the Fall and you get to show everyone videos/pics of you crawling a manual transmission without your license yet! (assuming he learns enough to not kill my clutch haha)

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

This weekend we're going camping with some extended family. Just normal camping at Prince William Forest park, nothing offroad or anything, they're barely into normal family car camping with their minivan heh. However, after this weekend camping trip, my 15-year-old nephew will be staying with Courtney and I for a couple weeks. He normally lives with my sister up in Erie, PA, but he's been spending the last couple weeks of his Summer break from school down at my mom's place near Stafford, and we had planned on him coming to stay with us for a couple weeks as well, and that starts after this weekend. He likes visiting us because I'm a big geek and he loves video games and geeky stuff too, but I'd like to get him outside and see some trail time if possible. I love that he's into geeky stuff that I'm into, but I want to make sure he spends time outside, experiencing fun stuff with other people. I didn't socialize nearly enough when I was young and I don't want him to follow that same introverted-computer-nerd-without-friends route that I did haha!

So my first question for everyone is to find out if anyone plans to go out the weekend of 7/19-7/21 that we could tag along. My second question is, if no one else is going out that weekend, what trails exist around here within an hour or two drive of us (remember I'm down in Woodbridge, VA). For example, I remember there's trails in Clifton (first time taking my current truck offroad thanks to @Exped4x4 !), but unsure on permission/access to those trails (and I forget where they are). In other words, what else is there for just a day trip without requiring a 4+ hour drive? I'm cool with just a day drive, hit some trails, teach the kid a few things about vehicles, have some lunch on the trail, maybe try to show him how to drive stick before heading out. Imagine how cool it would be to start 10th/11th grade in the Fall and you get to show everyone videos/pics of you crawling a manual transmission without your license yet! (assuming he learns enough to not kill my clutch haha)
Hey Adam!

Good on you getting your nephew out during the geek-bonding weeks. :) Even though I'm also an introvert and geek myself, there is nothing like the solitude of the outdoors/backwoods to re-energize!!

Unfortunately, I'll be helping a friend move on the 19th & 20th .... since he just helped me move down to Alexandria from Arlington a couple weeks ago. But, I might be interested in a day trip on Sunday, July 21st if I'm not incapacitated. ;)

Reactions: geekyadam

Nootherids

Rank V

Influencer II

Hey, as a last resort you know that both Taskers Gap and Blackwater State Park have trails that are fun but moderate enough that you can comfortably go wheeling solo.

Exped4x4

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manassas VA
Member #

Hey Adam!

I'll be around that weekend and can do a day trip. There are a couple of places that are out west in the mountains (about 1.5 - 3 hrs). The closest is Edinburg Gap (Taskers Gap), it's a quick an easy day ride, takes about 3-4 hours to ride through and unless it just rained heavily, you won't even need to put it in 4 wheel. The next is out near Harrisonburg. Lots of trails up there, most are pretty easy as well, but there are a few turnouts you can take that you may need to lock it in for. Those two would be good for a day trip to not get in to anything too crazy.

The ones round here are very short and with all the rain we've had, will be very messy! Now for me, that's an awesome time because it makes it pretty challenging. However, cleanup is not fun and it's a lot more likely you'll end up with new modifications in the "body damage" category, especially if you don't have aggressive tread. But if that's what you wanna do, I'm happy to be your guide!

Nootherids

Rank V

Influencer II

Hey Adam!

I'll be around that weekend and can do a day trip. There are a couple of places that are out west in the mountains (about 1.5 - 3 hrs). The closest is Edinburg Gap (Taskers Gap), it's a quick an easy day ride, takes about 3-4 hours to ride through and unless it just rained heavily, you won't even need to put it in 4 wheel. The next is out near Harrisonburg. Lots of trails up there, most are pretty easy as well, but there are a few turnouts you can take that you may need to lock it in for. Those two would be good for a day trip to not get in to anything too crazy.

The ones round here are very short and with all the rain we've had, will be very messy! Now for me, that's an awesome time because it makes it pretty challenging. However, cleanup is not fun and it's a lot more likely you'll end up with new modifications in the "body damage" category, especially if you don't have aggressive tread. But if that's what you wanna do, I'm happy to be your guide!
Hey! Is this Mike? Are you back with us again?

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Nice thanks guys I'll look into Taskers Gap and a couple others potentially. If I decide on something for that weekend I'll let everyone know here as an open invitation.

Nootherids

Rank V

Influencer II

Hahahaha, yes... Yes I am! Well... at least for a few more months
Yes! You’re my one and only trustworthy guide for trails where my big boy Tundra could actually fit. Hopefully we can do some trails soon. I’ll be out of town for a few weeks though. Should plan something for August-September.

Bryan0302

Rank III

Member I

Poquoson, VA, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Leahy
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Nice thanks guys I'll look into Taskers Gap and a couple others potentially. If I decide on something for that weekend I'll let everyone know here as an open invitation.
I have failed to meet for any trip but am with my 8 year old son and stock 4Runner if that works. If you are just doing an out-and-back, I may want to extend the trip and camp somewhere as well. I would be departing from Potomac Mills.

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Hey everyone I just saw that expo East is in Arrington, VA in October this year. That's only 2.5hrs from me. Thought it was normally further away. I'm buying a couple day passes for Saturday 10/12 for Courtney and I. I'll try to camp somewhere nearby Friday night, spend Saturday at the expo, camp Saturday night, head back Sunday morning. I really want to see the new Nomad cap tent on a short bed in person.
Anyone else want to join? I bet there's already an expo East thread I haven't looked yet.

Reactions: sabjku and Uberland

Uberland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Springfield, VA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Hey everyone I just saw that expo East is in Arrington, VA in October this year. That's only 2.5hrs from me. Thought it was normally further away. I'm buying a couple day passes for Saturday 10/12 for Courtney and I. I'll try to camp somewhere nearby Friday night, spend Saturday at the expo, camp Saturday night, head back Sunday morning. I really want to see the new Nomad cap tent on a short bed in person.
Anyone else want to join? I bet there's already an expo East thread I haven't looked yet.
I’m aiming to attend as well...not sure for how many days or if I’ll camp there/nearby. I’m coming from northern VA, so it’ll be a time/distance/convenience calculation with the family!

Nootherids

Rank V

Influencer II

So what are these expos about anyways? Is it just vendors, products, and lessons sprinkled in with social hour or is it actual trail riding?

Reactions: sabjku

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

So what are these expos about anyways? Is it just vendors, products, and lessons sprinkled in with social hour or is it actual trail riding?

@Nootherids , yep, you got it. Filled with vendors and manufacturers, at least almost every major brand, classes, skills courses, and the absolute best part about any event like this is all of the folks camping on the property. You see such a huge variety of vehicles and setups in the camp areas-this is where the real excitement is. Yea, the vendor stuff is cool, but it's generally all stuff you've already seen on the internet, but there are vendors that offer specials at events like this. Absolutely worth going to, especially at only 2.5 hrs away.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Will definitely be going down with others from the area. Will be camping Thurs, Fri and Sat night on site. That's the best part about the whole trip!

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

@Nootherids , yep, you got it. Filled with vendors and manufacturers, at least almost every major brand, classes, skills courses, and the absolute best part about any event like this is all of the folks camping on the property. You see such a huge variety of vehicles and setups in the camp areas-this is where the real excitement is. Yea, the vendor stuff is cool, but it's generally all stuff you've already seen on the internet, but there are vendors that offer specials at events like this. Absolutely worth going to, especially at only 2.5 hrs away.
Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the expos as they seem very superficial and productized, but I do want to see new products do I'm looking forward to going to one. I want to see the Nomad cap tent, and some overlanding trailers in person. Should be a good time.
Hey @sabjku bring that Cobra two-way radio if you still have it haha

Reactions: sabjku

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

As for camping with my nephew, don't think we're going anywhere...
No big deal, we'll have some fun still.

100RNR

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fredericksburg, VA, USA
First Name
E
Last Name
R
Member #