• HTML tutorial

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

A shop that you would recommend.
Many of us were wondering the same and had created a thread on this topic specifically. Check out

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Many of us were wondering the same and had created a thread on this topic specifically. Check out

Wow that thread is a blast from the past! That was before we met at MAOF! Since then I've learned suspension and already changed and replaced mine myself. Forgot all about that thread.

Reactions: sabjku and DRJ

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Welcome!
Right now it's mostly impromptu, however lately there was an initiative [started by me I think] to meet for early AM breakfast at least once a month. Sadly that has not been consistent because I haven't kept consistent. I've been focusing free time on working on my house.
Really though I think we should set up a recurring time and if you can make it, great, if not, you catch the next one. At those meets we can chat more about scheduling an upcoming trip and follow up here etc.

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Hey there...new guy here. I went back a few pages to see if anything regular was occurring in the DMV area...did I miss something, or is it all impromptu? Thanks!
As @geekyadam said, we’ve been mostly impromptu, but have talked a few times about something more reoccurring.

I’m in the midst of a move to Alexandria, from Arlington, then I’ll see about getting something on the calendar.

We’ve done meetups in the past at Mission BBQ in Alexandria, Silver Diner in Springfield, and a MYOB (Make your own breakfast) at a local park.

Uberland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Springfield, VA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Thanks for the replies...I’m in!

Incidentally, does anyone have suggestions for a (relatively) local day/weekend trip that wouldn’t be too technically advanced? Looking to get my feet wet and put the rig through a mild-ish test.

Reactions: sabjku

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Thanks for the replies...I’m in!
Incidentally, does anyone have suggestions for a (relatively) local day/weekend trip that wouldn’t be too technically advanced? Looking to get my feet wet and put the rig through a mild-ish test.
@Uberland, how are ya? Definitely stay in touch with this thread and the Rally Points. Anything that's an official calling for a day trip, weekend event, etc will get posted. As @geekyadam and @NovaBound mentioned, they do end up being very impromptu at times, simply due to everyone's schedules.

Now, to answer your question for a local /weekend trip. Yes....head out to Peters Mill Run, just west of Front Royal by about 20 minutes, in an area called Fort Valley. It's a designated, legal off road trail system that runs through the George Washington National Forest. It's not technical at all, but it is rocky. You will have zero problems in your rig, and won't need a spotter. You will need to purchase a pass to enjoy the trails. Grab a pass at the Fort Valley Country Store on Fort Valley Rd. They're $5 for the whole day. You'll come across a few other vehicles, and probably numerous motorcycles and ATV's. There's generally enough room for everyone to pass each other safely. There's a couple of spots where it does get tight, but you'll be fine.

In that same vicinity there's tons of Forest Roads with dispersed camping as well. There's also Elizabeth Furnace Campground, and Camp Roosevelt, both off of Fort Valley Road. You also have Little Fort Campground directly next to Peters Mill Run-a small'ish campground, generally pretty packed on the weekends, as it only has about a dozen sites.

There will probably be a weekend trip coming up fairly soon out to that area, which will get posted here.

Uberland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Springfield, VA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Brown
Member #

@Uberland, how are ya? Definitely stay in touch with this thread and the Rally Points. Anything that's an official calling for a day trip, weekend event, etc will get posted. As @geekyadam and @NovaBound mentioned, they do end up being very impromptu at times, simply due to everyone's schedules.

Now, to answer your question for a local /weekend trip. Yes....head out to Peters Mill Run, just west of Front Royal by about 20 minutes, in an area called Fort Valley. It's a designated, legal off road trail system that runs through the George Washington National Forest. It's not technical at all, but it is rocky. You will have zero problems in your rig, and won't need a spotter. You will need to purchase a pass to enjoy the trails. Grab a pass at the Fort Valley Country Store on Fort Valley Rd. They're $5 for the whole day. You'll come across a few other vehicles, and probably numerous motorcycles and ATV's. There's generally enough room for everyone to pass each other safely. There's a couple of spots where it does get tight, but you'll be fine.

In that same vicinity there's tons of Forest Roads with dispersed camping as well. There's also Elizabeth Furnace Campground, and Camp Roosevelt, both off of Fort Valley Road. You also have Little Fort Campground directly next to Peters Mill Run-a small'ish campground, generally pretty packed on the weekends, as it only has about a dozen sites.

There will probably be a weekend trip coming up fairly soon out to that area, which will get posted here.
This is awesome info! I’ll give it a try this weekend!

Reactions: sabjku

Txcoast

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alexandria, VA, USA
Member #

This is awesome info! I’ll give it a try this weekend!
My wife and I spent a couple of nights at Elizabeth Furnace this weekend, and can’t recommend it enough. It’s $16 per night but you shouldn’t have too big of an issue finding a spot Friday night or Saturday if you want to camp. It’s a great launching point to explore all of GWNF. IMG_0030.JPG

Nootherids

Rank V

Influencer II

My wife and I spent a couple of nights at Elizabeth Furnace this weekend, and can’t recommend it enough. It’s $16 per night but you shouldn’t have too big of an issue finding a spot Friday night or Saturday if you want to camp. It’s a great launching point to explore all of GWNF. View attachment 105177
I’d say that’s my family’s favorite camping spot TBH. Except for the fact that I’ve gotten both poison ivy and chiggers on two separate occasions. The one negative to that campsite is how difficult it is to gather firewood.

Reactions: sabjku and Txcoast

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Speaking of finding camping spots, has anyone used HipCamp before? We recently booked a site via HipCamp and stayed last weekend. It was pretty solid. HipCamp is like AirB&B for camping sites. Our site was a large yard/field area next door to a woman's house. As a bonus, she had an RV parked on her area so we had access to a bathroom. Didn't need to drop trowel in the woods, which was nice. We went with a few friends from Richmond, whom don't camp much so we didn't plan anything too extreme. And the site was like 15 minutes from Old House winery/distillery/brewery, which is where we spent most of Saturday. Had a great time, just didn't get off-road at all. But HipCamp may be a good way to find Basecamp sites near trailheads etc, rather than needing to find a site within a national park etc.

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Speaking of finding camping spots, has anyone used HipCamp before? We recently booked a site via HipCamp and stayed last weekend. It was pretty solid. HipCamp is like AirB&B for camping sites. Our site was a large yard/field area next door to a woman's house. As a bonus, she had an RV parked on her area so we had access to a bathroom. Didn't need to drop trowel in the woods, which was nice. We went with a few friends from Richmond, whom don't camp much so we didn't plan anything too extreme. And the site was like 15 minutes from Old House winery/distillery/brewery, which is where we spent most of Saturday. Had a great time, just didn't get off-road at all. But HipCamp may be a good way to find Basecamp sites near trailheads etc, rather than needing to find a site within a national park etc.
Nice! I’ll check it out.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I’d say that’s my family’s favorite camping spot TBH. Except for the fact that I’ve gotten both poison ivy and chiggers on two separate occasions. The one negative to that campsite is how difficult it is to gather firewood.
Definitely my favorite campground, and has been for decades. I can vouch for that poison ivy, and snakes, and bears too hahah :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Okay .... now that my move is behind me and I'm "mostly" unpacked in my new place in Alexandria, VA .... who's up for a meetup? :)

Contemplating something on this Saturday or maybe Sunday morning for breakfast.

Reactions: 100RNR and JRElaxED