Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

Flagpole Knob, it's a good little trip out toward the WV border. You can access it from a few different directions, but the most popular route seems to be up Forest Road 85A. It's between Rawley Springs, VA and Sugar Grove, WV.

Sidenote, if you're bored, look up the history and government activity around Sugar Grove, WV. Really cool stuff.
Will do!

Reactions: Hafaday

Zap

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Northern Virginia area
First Name
Erick
Last Name
Weinzapfel
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4JME
Hey. I’m new to this forum and have a few things. I went the CB route and it is not nearly as functional as HAM. Getting a license is not difficult and well worth it. It’s not uncommon for a group to get spread out and be beyond the range of CB. With my Icom and 2+ dB antenna it’s equivalent to 100 watts. Plus the clarity is much better than CB.

I’m accustomed to using GAIA GPS app and would highly recommended that also. It’s an easy way to share your routes/ trips with friends. This was my biggest hang up when I first started, no one would share there routes.

I live in the NOVA area and look forward to meeting those with similar interests.

Lastly I see a lot of Jeeps on the forum, I’m a 4RUNNER guy so don’t hold that against me.

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

I got Jeep Grand Cherokee and it's may be a very rare one. Most people using Wranglers or 4 -runners . I was few 'inches" away to buy 4-runner TRD Pro, but Jeep Grand Cherokee everyday drive is just really good. Also I would not say I'm crazy environmental guy , but try to be, so mpg was a factor, a diesel engine is really good with mpg and low rpm power.

Hey. I’m new to this forum and have a few things. I went the CB route and it is not nearly as functional as HAM. Getting a license is not difficult and well worth it. It’s not uncommon for a group to get spread out and be beyond the range of CB. With my Icom and 2+ dB antenna it’s equivalent to 100 watts. Plus the clarity is much better than CB.

I’m accustomed to using GAIA GPS app and would highly recommended that also. It’s an easy way to share your routes/ trips with friends. This was my biggest hang up when I first started, no one would share there routes.

I live in the NOVA area and look forward to meeting those with similar interests.

Lastly I see a lot of Jeeps on the forum, I’m a 4RUNNER guy so don’t hold that against me.

Reactions: Hafaday

GB Fraggle

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lexington, SC, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levine
Member #

Hey all, new member here from Manassas, Va. I am new to overlanding and look forward to meeting many of you. Whomever is going up to Flagpole this weekend, please report back on trail conditions (i.e. lots of snow/ice); I have never been there and plan to head up Monday (have the day off for Pres. Day) if conditions are not too bad.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Hey all, new member here from Manassas, Va. I am new to overlanding and look forward to meeting many of you. Whomever is going up to Flagpole this weekend, please report back on trail conditions (i.e. lots of snow/ice); I have never been there and plan to head up Monday (have the day off for Pres. Day) if conditions are not too bad.
Welcome GB! This is a great community of people, and quite active as well! Looking forward to meeting at some point!

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Welcome from a fellow T4R guy!

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Welcome Fraggle!!!

Reactions: sabjku

bubbles05

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Kailua, HI, USA
First Name
Page
Last Name
Payne
Member #

Minimal persistent ice on eastern facing/shady areas; no effect on traction [mainly in old tire track indentions]. Trail is in good conditions, buddy had no issues in stock 2017 4d Tacoma 4wd.

Sampson4RNR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hi there. I'm new to the forums (first post) and from MD. 17' T4R guy here.

FYI, make sure to call and check on the trails. Went over to take a look at Peter's Mill run and the trails in that area on Thursday and they were closed. Apparently they're doing maintenance. Also tried to look at Skyline drive, and the park was closed as well.

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

FYI, make sure to call and check on the trails. Went over to take a look at Peter's Mill run and the trails in that area on Thursday and they were closed. Apparently they're doing maintenance. Also tried to look at Skyline drive, and the park was closed as well.
Welcome to the forums! This Nova group keeps growing so quickly it's great!

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Welcome Sampson!

I’ve got a ‘16 T4R Trail myself!!

Reactions: sabjku

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

Ok, so I tried for a good half hour to try and create a rally point, but it keeps trying to take me to facebook when I publish. Seeing as how I don't have a facebook account, I am posting it here in the good old MD/VA thread! I'm planning to drive out to Assateague Island for a day trip. Never done any beach driving, so it will be a first! The details are below:

Day drive at the beach, lunch, hang out, go home (or if you plan to camp, please feel free to make reservations at nearby campgrounds). Maryland side of the island allows pets.

On the Maryland side, a permit must be purchased at the ranger station, or you can call ahead and get it in advance via mail. I plan on calling them tomorrow and will try to get the permit in advance since there is still time.

The phone number is (410) 641-3030 for an application

Assateague Island Visitors center:
11800 Marsh View Ln, Berlin, MD 21811
https://goo.gl/maps/isH5Rn2K2d72

Assateague Island National Seashore Ranger Station:
Bayberry Dr, Berlin, MD 21811
https://goo.gl/maps/iSYZw736sZ82
Opens at 9am

Also check out their site for additional information regarding OSV permits, vehicle/recovery/gear requirements and driving on the beach:
https://www.nps.gov/asis/planyourvisit/osv.htm
http://www.assateagueisland.com/island_i...travel.htm

The plan is to meet at the visitor center and head over to the ranger station by the time it opens @9:00am so that those who have not purchased a permit can obtain one.

I will be on CB channel 16 for those with a radio. Hope to see some people there!