Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roanoke Virginia
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nabywaniec
Member #

Ok gentlemen! I'm looking for a good campsite in the southern pa area. Close to hwy 81. Nothing hard to access. It's a long weekend brother's campout. Any input would be awesome!

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Ok gentlemen! I'm looking for a good campsite in the southern pa area. Close to hwy 81. Nothing hard to access. It's a long weekend brother's campout. Any input would be awesome!
Not sure about PA, but I can recommend Rocky Gap In western MD for traditional campground.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I thought you were doing the New Year's trip this weekend with Blue Ridge Overland Gear/Adam.

Sid

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wardensville, West Virginia, United States
First Name
Sid
Last Name
Belcher
Member #

Hey guys, just wanted to let folks local to my area know that I've posted my RTT for sale, https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/cvt-mt-rainier-extended-stargazer-summit-tan-with-annex-room.21325/#post-287657 in case any of you are interested. Clearly, no one from the west coast is going to drive all this way to pick it up so I just wanted to make the area locals aware in case you have friends looking. Btw, before anyone asks, I'm not getting out of overlanding, just going a different route with sleeping arrangements. Thanks!

Dave Alvord

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Hagerstown, MD, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Alvord
If you're still looking for this, here, if I'm late.....for next time considerations....I'm pretty familiar with the 81 corridor as I live in Hagerstown, close to PA state line

and define southern PA, your standards and mine are quite different I'm sure, however, close to 81, I recommend anything around Caledonia St Park/ Michaux Forest.....if you ventured a little more E and went towards Gettysburg you'd find several places as well...

Reactions: BRIAN NABY

Txcoast

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alexandria, VA, USA
Member #

Hey everyone, I’m looking to invest in my first comms setup in hopes of getting out on some trail rides and events in 2019. What’s the best bang for my buck around here? Is everyone around here running GMRS, HAM, or CB? I don’t mind getting a license if need be, I just don’t really want three (or more?) different systems at the moment. Thanks, and happy new year!

Nootherids

Rank V

Influencer II

Hey everyone, I’m looking to invest in my first comms setup in hopes of getting out on some trail rides and events in 2019. What’s the best bang for my buck around here? Is everyone around here running GMRS, HAM, or CB? I don’t mind getting a license if need be, I just don’t really want three (or more?) different systems at the moment. Thanks, and happy new year!
I’d say basic built-in are CB and handhelds are generally walkie talkies. CB is crappy clarity though. And walkies are crappy range.

I was looking for something that would work on trail or doing other stuff like hiking or skiing, so I picked up 2 GMRS radios that can be configured to use walkie talkie bands too. More power, more range, better clarity. My plan is to eventually install a radio/repeater in the truck to provide even more range.

Stay away from HAM though. I finally figured out that the simplest way to describe HAM is Amateur HOBBYIST. So if you just want it to communicate on certain occasions stay away from HAM. If you wanna get into chatting with random people around the world on the regular then go for it.

thejeepgeek

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chantilly, VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Not an expert by any means, but from my experience.

Bang for the buck is going to be CB if you are looking to get on some trails with a group. Every group I’ve been out with uses CB and some require one. Some groups have discussed switching to GMRS or HAM but none that I know of have yet. CB is cheap and quick/easy to setup. Clarity and range are good enough for what it is used for—communicating with members of your group.

The GMRS handhelds are nice and some like them because they allow you to get out of the vehicle and still communicate. I did one trail ride with a guide and we used GMRS. The guide was able to use his while spotting.

I can definitely see a benefit for HAM if you are overlanding, in the middle of nowhere with no cell signal. Better range and more ears if you call for assistance. CB is all but a ghost town so unlikely anybody would hear your calls. “Downside” is the license requirement by from what I’ve read, the test isn’t that hard to study for.

Overall to get up and running, i’d say just install a CB for now and add to it if a need arises for something else. I have a CB installed now but plan on installing a HAM as well for some overland trips I’m planning.

Happy trails.

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Yeah what they said; CB is most primarily used as they are cheap, easy to use, and reliable, even if they sound crappy sometimes. They work fine. In addition, it's great to have some 2 way radios (GMRS, FRS). I always bring my Boafeng ($25) which can use ameteur bands as well as all 2 way frequencies. I also bring a couple of Cobra 2 ways to give to those whom don't have any comms so we can keep them updated or to carry around camp/festival/etc for out-of-rig communication.

Nootherids

Rank V

Influencer II

Yeah what they said; CB is most primarily used as they are cheap, easy to use, and reliable, even if they sound crappy sometimes. They work fine. In addition, it's great to have some 2 way radios (GMRS, FRS). I always bring my Boafeng ($25) which can use ameteur bands as well as all 2 way frequencies. I also bring a couple of Cobra 2 ways to give to those whom don't have any comms so we can keep them updated or to carry around camp/festival/etc for out-of-rig communication.
I just got a pair of Baofengs too. The programming cable just arrived in the mail. Gonna configure them this week and test them out with my son skiing at Snowshoe this weekend. From experience FRS radios are pretty shitty at ski resorts. Hoping for a big improvement.