First Name
James
Last Name
Coon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE4GIV
How goes it guy's?

Need to chat with you all on a possible Taco.. Learning the taco speak. an 18 DCSB OR.

Pro's and cons. as well as dealing with Koons, Tyson Toyota. Been emailing back and forth.

Might be time to let my 14 JKU go and try something different. Not sure yet.
I had a 2015 Tacoma TRD Off Road Access cab cause I wanted the longer bed. I bought it from Priority down in Chester and was happy with them during and after the sale. Free oil change and inspection for life and everyone was nice and helpful.

There were a few things I did not like about the one I had. So I traded it in for the 2012 JK Rubicon. That being said, I still have my 1995 Tacoma and still love it after 20 years. I would consider another Tacoma in the future.

Make sure you look it over and know what you are getting. And get the TRD Off Road or Pro for the rear locker.

Reactions: Hafaday

Txcoast

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alexandria, VA, USA
Member #

Hey Everyone, The wife and doggos and I got out to Shenandoah for the last night of camping for the season at Loft Mountain campground. It was a little cold for the dogs, but we cranked the heater in the tent and made it pretty cozy. We ran up to Flagpole Knob and Reddish Knob on Sunday, and cruised through parts of WV. The LX made the trip very comfortable. We'll be heading to Overland Expo in a couple of weeks, but will only be stopping by for the day on Saturday, we're excited to see it. IMG_7436.jpg

Jamal Warner

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I'd like to if I knew where to go. Just got back into off-roading. Only trails I know are in George Washington National Forest. Went a couple of times when I had my JK. If anyone is going anywhere, LMK!

Nootherids

Rank V

Influencer II

EVENT SUGGESTION - NON WHEELING

Check out this DC Ski Bus day trip to Whitetail. I'm gonna hit this up this year now that my son is old enough to come with me and I prefer company when heading to the mountains. Plus I have't been on my board in years so I'm itching to carve. Anyway, since you're all in the general vicinity I figured I'd post it up here in case anybody is interested. It's like $110 for bus and lift. (Lift ticket alone costs $70+ at the resort) so I think it's a good deal.

I'm planning on going some weekend in Jan or Feb. Most likely January 26th. Anybody wanna join up?

https://www.sourcedadventures.com/adventures/whitetail-day-trip-from-dc/

Oh, and we also got season passes for Snowshoe and already have 3 or 4 weekends planned there too. So if you're a regular there hit me up and we can meet up. My son is 14 and learning to ski. I'm an advanced boarder.

ChefboyRD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Manassas,Va
Member #

Yeah same. When we got Courtney's Grand Cherokee, we were just a number to them and had an extremely hard time getting them to follow up on things they said they'd take care of. Some little things like replacing the dead batteries in the remotes, some bigger stuff. All they care about is the sale and that's it.
I've heard good things about Priority Toyota, I personally went with Miller Toyota out in Manassas after doing a lot of research online on dealer review sites and BBB. Wherever you go, avoid the Toyota dealership in Woodbridge. They have the worst reviews and an F grade on BBB.

Anyway, as for choosing a Tacoma, I love mine for many reasons, primarily because I prefer driving stick and you can't find them anymore. But I've used the shit out of the bed since we bought the house a couple years ago. I've had some strong feelings on switching to a 4Runner though...they're comfier, look badass, and roomier. If you get either, get the TRD OffRoad or the TRD Pro if you want. Both come with a locking rear diff, which is the primary useful difference when it comes down to it.
Love the 4Runner and agree with Adam get the Off-road although I haven’t put mine through enough to need lockers. I don’t think I would use the crawl control, IMO it takes the fun out of going off road. Why I logged in though, what is everyone doing next weekend? We are heading to the valley to camp and are going to run Peter’s Mill south to north, any takers?

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Love the 4Runner and agree with Adam get the Off-road although I haven’t put mine through enough to need lockers. I don’t think I would use the crawl control, IMO it takes the fun out of going off road. Why I logged in though, what is everyone doing next weekend? We are heading to the valley to camp and are going to run Peter’s Mill south to north, any takers?
As in weekend after thanksgiving?

We might be available.

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I'm not available the weekend after Thanksgiving but I am the weekend after that (12/7-12-9) if anyone sets something up for then. Would love to do some trail cleanup or just a meetup. Mention me so I get a notification please.

Unrelated: I'm planning to set up a "cars & coffee" type recurring meetup, but rather than at a coffee shop, we meet in a large parking lot really early and bring our own coffee/breakfast. Kind of like waking up on a camping trip and everyone makes their own coffee etc. We would just use tailgates and camp chairs to chill and I'll bring my 360° propane heater. I'm going to set it up either way, but let me know who would be interested in a recurring event like that. Easier to commit to an hour or two on a Saturday morning once a month than a whole weekend trip etc.

BRIAN NABY

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roanoke Virginia
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nabywaniec
Member #

I'm not available the weekend after Thanksgiving but I am the weekend after that (12/7-12-9) if anyone sets something up for then. Would love to do some trail cleanup or just a meetup. Mention me so I get a notification please.

Unrelated: I'm planning to set up a "cars & coffee" type recurring meetup, but rather than at a coffee shop, we meet in a large parking lot really early and bring our own coffee/breakfast. Kind of like waking up on a camping trip and everyone makes their own coffee etc. We would just use tailgates and camp chairs to chill and I'll bring my 360° propane heater. I'm going to set it up either way, but let me know who would be interested in a recurring event like that. Easier to commit to an hour or two on a Saturday morning once a month than a whole weekend trip etc.
Based on the details i.e. location and time I might try to shoot up that way for a meet up. It would be a few hr haul so i might try to camp if it's a Saturday. Keep me posted!

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Based on the details i.e. location and time I might try to shoot up that way for a meet up. It would be a few hr haul so i might try to camp if it's a Saturday. Keep me posted!
Yeah fair point. Once I start setting them up, I'll try to make it near a decent camp area if possible. Thanks for feedback. Thinking about calling them "Breakfast Tailgating" or "BYOC Meetup" or something.

Reactions: sabjku

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Yeah fair point. Once I start setting them up, I'll try to make it near a decent camp area if possible. Thanks for feedback. Thinking about calling them "Breakfast Tailgating" or "BYOC Meetup" or something.
BYOB (Bring you own Breakfast).

I could see talking vehicles, camping and trips. While everyone is cooking their meal.

I’m few hours out as well. But might be able to make one if timing is right.

Reactions: sabjku

ChefboyRD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Manassas,Va
Member #

Yes the weekend after Thanksgiving, The last time I ran the trail I saw only one beer can that I picked up. We are going to camp in Edinburg at Creekside campground and yes it is in the middle of Edinburg. There are a lot of campgrounds around the area if you want to not Glamp as we do. I am happy to host dinner for all who wish to come(maybe gumbo?) and there was plenty of vacancy at Creekside. Passes can be purchased right down the street($5-) and if you like to fish I have seen trout in the creek. Let me know what y’all think. -Dave

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

BYOB (Bring you own Breakfast).

I could see talking vehicles, camping and trips. While everyone is cooking their meal.

I’m few hours out as well. But might be able to make one if timing is right.
Yeah that's two of the main points I've been planning on doing these: it's a chance to catch up with others in the area that we haven't seen in awhile (because busy holiday season, colder weather, mismatched schedules, etc etc), and getting a chance to hang out that fits everyones schedule is impossible. I plan to make it recurring so if you can't make one, just make the next one.

I also think it's a great "entry point" for new members to meet others before committing to a trail ride or entire weekend camping. It's a way for them to come learn more and meet others to feel safer and more comfortable about getting out there.

BRIAN NABY

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roanoke Virginia
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nabywaniec
Member #

Not saying ever meet up but Woodstock or luray are a kinda central area for a few areas. Maybe try to get a new year artic camp set up.

Reactions: JRElaxED

ChefboyRD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Manassas,Va
Member #

Has anyone run peters mills run / tasker gav ohv trails? I looked it up and it looks to be an easygoing trail with some camping. Would be fun for an overnight trip.
There is a campground on the north side of the trail, not many sites and primitive. There is also a clearing about 3/4 or 1/4 of the way through depending if you start on the Edinburg or Woodstock side that is sloped but you could camp there I think. The trail is about a two hour trip and I would imagine very quiet at night.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Has anyone run peters mills run / tasker gav ohv trails? I looked it up and it looks to be an easygoing trail with some camping. Would be fun for an overnight trip.
Hey Brian....I’ve run PMR plenty of times, and once with @NovaBound. Very familiar with that entire area. It’s a fun run that any stock 4wd vehicle can do.

Chef is spot on with that north entrance campground, which is called Little Fort Campground. Another option for dispersed camping which would accommodate about 5-6 vehicles, are some spots about 10 min north off of the forest roads....@jrelaxed and I came across these over the summer. Great spots!

For an established campground, I highly recommend Elizabeth Furnace Campground about 10-15 min north on Fort Valley Rd(the main rd through Fort Valley area). Passage Creek runs along the backside of the campground which makes for some nice white noise at night![emoji16]

OHV passes can be bought 10 min away from the north entrance of the trails, at the one and only convenience store in Fort Valley on Fort Valley Rd. There’s fuel there as well, oh, and beer![emoji16]

I’m off to Mexico City until the 28th, but am always down for a trip to that area.