US East Northern VA / MD Monthly Meetups

• HTML tutorial

Ruckup08

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

King George Virginia
Member #

I'm a maybe but will track this. I posted the Coal Rd trail head and campsite near the top on the map. I would suggest running it from the bottom (Coal Rd.)....more fun.

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
Got ya! I'm going to commit to this date too. Now what time the 20th and are we starting at the north or south entrance?

Sent from my SM-G892A using OB Talk mobile app
I have actually never ran the trail so I have no preference of starting area. Have you ran the area before? If so, you might be the best person to make that determination. Time would be dependent on that location I guess. Think its about 3 hours and some change away from me.

BRIAN NABY

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roanoke Virginia
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nabywaniec
Member #

I haven't run it. Ruckup08 said run it from coal rd. I would say we go with that unless something or someone says otherwise.

Ruckup08, did you mark them on the OB website map? I haven't looked yet but I have mapped it.

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
I haven't run it. Ruckup08 said run it from coal rd. I would say we go with that unless something or someone says otherwise.

Ruckup08, did you mark them on the OB website map? I haven't looked yet but I have mapped it.

Gotcha, I have it mapped on my Gaia at home. I will see where I have the starting location marked.

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

I have been up there several times. Both bottom up and top down.

As @Ruckup08 said... I prefer going from the bottom up.

I am still a maybe.. I’ve been requested to attend a wedding the following weekend in Tenn.

As for grid points... I can get you all some shortly (out an about at the moment).

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Sorry Guys, got side tracked with my oldest kid for the day.

First pic is the north (bottom if you will) entrance off Coal rd.

Second.. south (top) entrance form the BR parkway.

Don’t mind the bearing, distance or elevation.... those are from my place to the waypoints.

Reactions: AG Sheep

Ruckup08

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

King George Virginia
Member #

Yes I marked the Coal Rd trailhead and the Campsite near the top on the OB website map. I've marked a few trails and campsites on there actually. It could be a awesome resource if people would post stuff to it.

Ruckup08

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

King George Virginia
Member #

Also, if your coming up from Coal Road you will see there is a trail cutting off to the right about 1.5 miles or so in that takes a more direct route up the ridge. Its a little more of a challenge and I think the worst of it was the first 100 yards or so

BRIAN NABY

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roanoke Virginia
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nabywaniec
Member #

So... big levels on July 20th. Going in from coal rd. Now... when and where to meet? Looking at the map exit 213 off of 81 has a truck stop. Seems to be the closest exit to the trail. Do we want to try to meet there about noon and fuel up? Not sure where everyone is coming in from.

Nick80

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Haymarket, Virginia, USA
First Name
NICHOLAS
Last Name
Roozen
Member #

Looking like the big levels area. Sounds like the Coal Road entrance is the best bet. I do not have access to the OB maps so going off of what Gaia has available and what ppl are posting.

Also @Nick80.... looks like you have some work to doView attachment 60575

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

I think that’s a straight axle conversion

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: T-88

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
So... big levels on July 20th. Going in from coal rd. Now... when and where to meet? Looking at the map exit 213 off of 81 has a truck stop. Seems to be the closest exit to the trail. Do we want to try to meet there about noon and fuel up? Not sure where everyone is coming in from.

Sorry I have been a ghost on this, just got back from vacation. Was thinking more so that Saturday morning (the 21st), somethings are changing at work and trying to drive down there during peak traffic would be a beast. I think @geekyadam is more North than I am and it would be brutal.

Thinking meet up time of around 9am? If anyone wants to go before hand and scout out then so be it.

Is this the truck stop you were thinking of? 3541 Lee Jackson Hwy, Staunton, VA 24401

@Exped4x4 Were you at?

Also, who is all looking to go?

So far its myself, @geekyadam , and @BRIAN NABY