US East Northern VA / MD Monthly Meetups

• HTML tutorial

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
Hey everyone. Long time no catch up. Been putting in a lot of time on the house. Replaced all the siding myself with the help of my dad and Courtneys dad. Almost done, excited to get back on some trails once it finally stops raining. I did Canaan Loop a couple months back with a buddy. Good time, pretty chill trail. Few technical spots and a creek crossing or two, plenty of brush burn though. Anyone got some open, upcoming plans for a weekend? We need to take a break from the house soon and get next to a campfire with a beer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using OB Talk mobile app
I agree. Haven't been camping since last year before the winter. What about the first weekend in June? I have some stuff I want to bust out this weekend or else I would have suggested that.

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I can do first weekend in June. Call it now or I make other plans. Where we going? I don't care if it's a god damned parking lot at this point.

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

I can do first weekend in June. Call it now or I make other plans. Where we going? I don't care if it's a god damned parking lot at this point.

HA HAAA!

I can see it now at a Walmart parking lot...

Vehicles set up in a circle. An RTT or two, maybe a ground tent and some cots. go inside and buy a little metal fire pit. Set it up. get some of that prepackaged wood For the pit. grills going with fresh food from inside if you need it. Stories to tell while making s'mores over said fire pit....

Might be a bit noisy, but a fun time at that.

Reactions: geekyadam

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland

I had some trails mapped for the big levels area? Idk how camping there is though. Other than that, I have no clue but want to try something other than flag pole

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

Nick80

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Haymarket, Virginia, USA
First Name
NICHOLAS
Last Name
Roozen
Member #

Any one going to budds creek 4x4 expo? I may go after work for the 17th I want to take the JL through the mud milkshake.

Ruckup08

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

King George Virginia
Member #

I had some trails mapped for the big levels area? Idk how camping there is though.
There are a lot of great places to camp around Big Levels. Couple of great places near the top on the trail about a mile off Skyline Drive. Just was there a couple weeks ago. One of the sites is at the end of a short spur trail used to be the site of a fire tower and is still marked as such on some maps. Fire Tower is gone so now its a large site (I think we had like 12 rigs on there) with a great view. If you don't want to dry camp, Sherando Lake Campground is probably the best campground in the state and is right there as well. I'll try to mark the tower location on the forum map tonight

Exped4x4

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manassas VA
Member #

Hey fellas! Who's up for doin a little brewery meetup this Saturday or next at Heritage Brewing in Manassas?

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
There are a lot of great places to camp around Big Levels. Couple of great places near the top on the trail about a mile off Skyline Drive. Just was there a couple weeks ago. One of the sites is at the end of a short spur trail used to be the site of a fire tower and is still marked as such on some maps. Fire Tower is gone so now its a large site (I think we had like 12 rigs on there) with a great view. If you don't want to dry camp, Sherando Lake Campground is probably the best campground in the state and is right there as well. I'll try to mark the tower location on the forum map tonight
So, with this information, who wants to plan a 2-3 day trip in July to this location. Drive down there, wheel to the site, chill for a day, then off road a bit the next before heading out? I really want to get out this year but with everything going on, this looks like the only time I will be able to do it until next year. Just a butt load of stuff going on.

Anyone interested? I am using some time off to block out July 20th till the 22nd so it should be a for sure for me. Other than that, it will only probably be day trips and those might be far and few in between.

Hey fellas! Who's up for doin a little brewery meetup this Saturday or next at Heritage Brewing in Manassas?
Might be down for a little meet up next weekend if the venue is a little closer. About a hour and a half drive for me, idk how it is for everyone else.

Nick80

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Haymarket, Virginia, USA
First Name
NICHOLAS
Last Name
Roozen
Member #

BRIAN NABY

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roanoke Virginia
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nabywaniec
Member #

Hay all! I just joined OB. I live in the Roanoke area. I would be down to go to big levels for the weekend. Just need to know the dates for sure. The weekend of the 20th works of it's a definite.

Sent from my SM-G892A using OB Talk mobile app

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

So, with this information, who wants to plan a 2-3 day trip in July to this location. Drive down there, wheel to the site, chill for a day, then off road a bit the next before heading out? I really want to get out this year but with everything going on, this looks like the only time I will be able to do it until next year. Just a butt load of stuff going on.

Anyone interested? I am using some time off to block out July 20th till the 22nd so it should be a for sure for me. Other than that, it will only probably be day trips and those might be far and few in between.

Might be down for a little meet up next weekend if the venue is a little closer. About a hour and a half drive for me, idk how it is for everyone else.
I may be up for this, Have to check the schedule first.. I have a wedding to go to sometime around those dates.

Diesel_Dragon

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Yorktown Va
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Very interested in trying big levels, and getting away for a couple day trip. Been reading about the trail though mixed reviews on a stock height FJ making it.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Ruckup08

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

King George Virginia
Member #

Very interested in trying big levels, and getting away for a couple day trip. Been reading about the trail though mixed reviews on a stock height FJ making it.
Stock height FJ will be fine I would think. Been through there with stock height Jeeps on street tires. The trail can get tight so be warned you might get a few pinstripes. I haven't but wider vehicles than a Jeep will. I will try to make it as well but have to see when the time gets closer

BRIAN NABY

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roanoke Virginia
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nabywaniec
Member #

Stock height FJ will be fine I would think. Been through there with stock height Jeeps on street tires. The trail can get tight so be warned you might get a few pinstripes. I haven't but wider vehicles than a Jeep will. I will try to make it as well but have to see when the time gets closer
I spoke with Adam from Overland history he said it's not bad if you want technical take the side routes. He also said may want to steer clear of the puddles because they've got big and deep over the past couple months. I'm still down for the weekend of the 20th if we're still planning on it!

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

I spoke with Adam from Overland history he said it's not bad if you want technical take the side routes. He also said may want to steer clear of the puddles because they've got big and deep over the past couple months. I'm still down for the weekend of the 20th if we're still planning on it!

Some of sandy mud holes have had drainage dug out for them. Others are what they are, a sandy mud hole.

That said, even the bypass around them are mud holes.

This also depends on the time of year. Lots of rain equal mud. If dry out for a few weeks, most likely dried up.

Either way... still a good fun run.