Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Kaufer
Member #

I'm not all that good with forums but know also you must be monitoring particular threads to stay involved. Facebook groups are still best platform to get fastest and easiest notifications of all things current. Is there a particular FB group we could align with for local events, resources and OB-Nova things? Or would starting a new thread for each monthly attempt to get together be helpful than continuing 19 pages on same theme?

Lastly knowing how spread out we are, meeting anywhere in Nova can be cumbersome. I know with my schedule unless it's no more than 2 towns away, I can't commit.

I've attempted to get my personal mission statement across to several threads where I make monthly overland trips. Unlike happy hour setups where 2-6 hours must be carved out on a particular day. An entire weekend is planned out where full or partial commitment can be expected. Would anyone have more interest or flexibility to take the monthly meet ups to the field? My dates each month are easily planned 45 days in advance working around holidays usually gives 2 week flex. Aiming for 10/21 weekend for October. Looking to do a loop around snowshoe and ending around black water falls. Anyone is welcome to come along as a contributor or follower.
I'd like to join! That sounds like a great trip. I'll mark that day down and continue to watch this thread.

Reactions: smplone

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

I was thinking about doing one for just Nova/MD peeps. Keep it local and not require a member number to join. This will keep it accessible to new, local people who are looking to join us and what not. I can start one tomorrow.

Was also thinking that we could do polls on that page for long term trips. Pick a time frame for us to do a long trip, and then post up some trip ideas and have ppl vote. Once decided we can create a thread or meet up and post it to the FB.

I got some more ideas to toss out but will do it once I get home.
Sounds like I need to sign up for Facebook [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
Sounds like I need to sign up for Facebook [emoji15]

Haha. Thats kinda why I want to cross post. I know there are people without FB and those that prefer FB over forums. Feel like now it will be a continually evolving product until we hammer out something that works for everyone. We can always keep it public for those thay do not have FB but want to keep in touch with the FB chats.

Know the poll thing might not work for some but we can still figure something out.

smplone

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling VA
Member #

I was going to recommend the MAOS FB group as well. I for one don't think I can take on any more new divided groups online formed from another.

Reactions: pl626

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
I was going to recommend the MAOS FB group as well. I for one don't think I can take on any more new divided groups online formed from another.
I follow that group but dont follow it. Seems like alot of ppl saying they did this or that, or inquiring about products. Nothing wrong with that but the goal of a NOVA/MD group would be just for trips centered around ppl in the area.

Feel like some of these groups get so bogged down in information that it might overshadow the one person trying to do a trip. Kinda figure we have a forum that allows us to gain information about a product but on a larger scale than a specific region.

wk2blackpearl

Rank II

Advocate I

Maybe we don't split off to another forum, but as soon as someone makes a trip suggestion they can make a group chat for it. That way all of that discussion is kept off our main thread.

Possibly just add a note at the bottom of each trip suggestion to ask to be added to the chat if you're interested, so any newbies that join can also jump in.

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
Maybe we don't split off to another forum, but as soon as someone makes a trip suggestion they can make a group chat for it. That way all of that discussion is kept off our main thread.

Possibly just add a note at the bottom of each trip suggestion to ask to be added to the chat if you're interested, so any newbies that join can also jump in.
I dig it. Only thing I can think of is have that first threat or w.e. be the info thread. Who ever creates it will just have to keep it updated. That way ppl arent sifting through posts or pages looking for that one thing. They can open the thread, see the info, and roll with it.

smplone

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling VA
Member #

Yeah I am down for the group chat avenue. AG Sheep is right, the FB groups do get saturated with other than get out there and overland information. Moving forward I assume event organizer creates the group chat with an invitation dropped here?

What about that rally point feature on this site? How does that work? Should trips be posted there?

I am excited to get October trip on the way. My motto is I don't track people down to participate but if you commit I will not leave anyone behind. Pending feedback, I'll start a group chat for a trip in October?

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
@smplone I would go ahead and start a group chat/rally point. Kind of what we have been doing. Then just throw the link in the thread or start a new thread to showcase it. IMO, if you throw the rally point here with no dedicated thread then it might get washed out in the banter.

Personally, I know I will not be able to attend due to work but would be interested in future excursions.

smplone

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling VA
Member #

@smplone I would go ahead and start a group chat/rally point. Kind of what we have been doing. Then just throw the link in the thread or start a new thread to showcase it. IMO, if you throw the rally point here with no dedicated thread then it might get washed out in the banter.

Personally, I know I will not be able to attend due to work but would be interested in future excursions.
Thanks for the feedback yes have watched the how to video. Thinking maybe I should have the GPX file completed before posting up, which will be happening this weekend. I will check in with other regional folks and make sure no toes are crushed in the making of this rally point....lol.

Reactions: AG Sheep

smplone

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling VA
Member #

October Monthly Trip - DC / MD / VA - 10/20/2017 created from this conversation. Not sure how else to link it for anyone following this particular thread or to target DMV folks.

Reactions: Linusb212

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
October Monthly Trip - DC / MD / VA - 10/20/2017 created from this conversation. Not sure how else to link it for anyone following this particular thread or to target DMV folks.
If you are looking to target people outside this thread, I would look at posting it under the "East" portion of the Overland Bound by Region.

Might get some traction on ExPo but I have not had great luck on that site.

Reactions: smplone

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
Idk how Novembers are here but anyone looking to do anything around then? Maybe do an "Overlanders" and coffee meet and greet?

Know the next couple of months will be busy with holidays but maybe we could all get together and run some trails or discuss possibilities for trips next year.

Epic Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Washington, D.C.
Member #

Idk how Novembers are here but anyone looking to do anything around then? Maybe do an "Overlanders" and coffee meet and greet?

Know the next couple of months will be busy with holidays but maybe we could all get together and run some trails or discuss possibilities for trips next year.
I'm down as long as it doesn't fall on a day I work. I work 24 hrs on 72 hrs off, so I can be really flexible. Also, if guys are looking to meet up during the week for an overnighter or even to grab coffee or beers & shoot the shit, I'm usually able to make it work. I'd imagine most of you work a traditional schedule, but if not, get at me!

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

We're still pretty busy working on the house to finish this siding project, so we can't commit to anything overnight in immediate future as nearly all spare time is being spent on the house (to finish everything before it gets cold out). However, I would definitely try to make a coffee/drinks meetup as long as it's not super far away. @DRJ is in Springfield, what's everyone's drive like to Springfield? 30-40 minutes for us with light traffic.

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
We're still pretty busy working on the house to finish this siding project, so we can't commit to anything overnight in immediate future as nearly all spare time is being spent on the house (to finish everything before it gets cold out). However, I would definitely try to make a coffee/drinks meetup as long as it's not super far away. @DRJ is in Springfield, what's everyone's drive like to Springfield? 30-40 minutes for us with light traffic.
30 minutes here. We usually hit Springfield every weekend for tea and Trader Joes.

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

It’s been pretty hectic for me. This weekend and the next is pretty jam packed. How does everyone’s schedule look on the 28th?