US East Northern VA / MD Monthly Meetups

• HTML tutorial

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

I'm up for meeting up! Sorry I missed out on the trip last weekend. I was battling requests to explore closer to DC for my friend in town, and had to weigh the options. Definitely interested in the ongoing thread for another trip.
This weekend's meet-up didn't get much traction. Not sure if we'd have enough people come out for drinks/planning. However, if we get enough people to come out, I think Tysons, VA or Rockville, MD would be a good midway point for the DMV area. I am free tonight, Saturday night, or daytime Sunday.

CO_R1T

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Kaufer
Member #

This weekend's meet-up didn't get much traction. Not sure if we'd have enough people come out for drinks/planning. However, if we get enough people to come out, I think Tysons, VA or Rockville, MD would be a good midway point for the DMV area. I am free tonight, Saturday night, or daytime Sunday.
Gotcha, sounds good. If there's more traction I'm free tomorrow and Sunday.

smplone

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling VA
Member #

After picking up a few guests I had invited that weekend, we made it to meadows knob and flag pole for scenic intake. Yes the mud pits is sort of the reward should you have gotten there from flag pole or up from union springs. I personally try and stay away from mud as its an alternator killer if gotten jammed up.

Next trip for me is 10/21 weekend. Looking at tracks from Kentucky to Snowshoe. Need to narrow it down, but anyone is welcome to tag along.

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Daytime Sunday we might be able to join. Sorry that's best I can commit to at this point. This siding project is kicking our ass and dunno if Dad leaving Saturday night or Sunday morning yet.
Personally I'd love to head up for a brunch meetup Sunday morning, a little earlier...like maybe 8:30 - 9am. Have a coffee and chat about trails and future plans etc. So hopefully we get far enough that he can head out Saturday night...

Reactions: Epic Overland

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

After picking up a few guests I had invited that weekend, we made it to meadows knob and flag pole for scenic intake. Yes the mud pits is sort of the reward should you have gotten there from flag pole or up from union springs. I personally try and stay away from mud as its an alternator killer if gotten jammed up.

Next trip for me is 10/21 weekend. Looking at tracks from Kentucky to Snowshoe. Need to narrow it down, but anyone is welcome to tag along.
I may be interested in tagging along. I have a tentative plan for that weekend, but it's not yet a definite. When do you plan on leaving from the area?

Reactions: smplone

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

Daytime Sunday we might be able to join. Sorry that's best I can commit to at this point. This siding project is kicking our ass and dunno if Dad leaving Saturday night or Sunday morning yet.
Personally I'd love to head up for a brunch meetup Sunday morning, a little earlier...like maybe 8:30 - 9am. Have a coffee and chat about trails and future plans etc. So hopefully we get far enough that he can head out Saturday night...
Good luck with the rest! I'm sure it will be worth it after you finish and calculate how much money you saved by doing the work yourselves.

Reactions: geekyadam

smplone

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling VA
Member #

I may be interested in tagging along. I have a tentative plan for that weekend, but it's not yet a definite. When do you plan on leaving from the area?
Most trips depart Friday evenings by 1800 and end by 1200 on Sunday. Most of the time, I always hold up in GWNF because the crew comes from different departure times and is familiar with GWNF enough to find me. Then Saturday we trek along a planned route to cover as much as possible Saturday. I have been known to kick off Friday as early as 0900 depending on teams interest and availability. I run MotionX for navigation, as long as you are familiar with the tech and trip, I have had some meet up half way while a trip is in progress.

Epic Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Washington, D.C.
Member #

I should be around most the weekend. If we nail Down a spot, I'll plan to be there! If not, have a great weekend.

Reactions: Linusb212

Epic Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Washington, D.C.
Member #

Bueller, Bueller? I'm assuming the majority of you all are unable to meet up tomorrow. What's been the 'Monthly Meet Up Protocol'? Perhaps as we venture into fall & winter and time becomes tighter with family obligations taking more center stage, we shoot for one proper meet up per month to hang out, shoot the shizzz & exchange ideas for the coming year? Do we have a dedicated spot we can 'call our own'?

Reactions: DRJ and 100RNR

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
Bueller, Bueller? I'm assuming the majority of you all are unable to meet up tomorrow. What's been the 'Monthly Meet Up Protocol'? Perhaps as we venture into fall & winter and time becomes tighter with family obligations taking more center stage, we shoot for one proper meet up per month to hang out, shoot the shizzz & exchange ideas for the coming year? Do we have a dedicated spot we can 'call our own'?
Generally, Exped or someone comes up with something and we go. No real protocol, which I am guessing is attributed to this being a new and growing group.

Best bet would to ask for recommendations and shoot from there. Unless someone knows a really good place that is midway for everyone and is capable of facilitating everyones rig.

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I can't make it tomorrow morning for coffee sadly. We didn't get enough done before Dad had to head out tonight so tomorrow @wk2blackpearl and I will be finishing some Tyvek wrap and mounting blocks on the back of the house. Unless people want to meet down here in Woodbridge tomorrow, I won't be able to make it haha

Reactions: Epic Overland

smplone

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling VA
Member #

I'm not all that good with forums but know also you must be monitoring particular threads to stay involved. Facebook groups are still best platform to get fastest and easiest notifications of all things current. Is there a particular FB group we could align with for local events, resources and OB-Nova things? Or would starting a new thread for each monthly attempt to get together be helpful than continuing 19 pages on same theme?

Lastly knowing how spread out we are, meeting anywhere in Nova can be cumbersome. I know with my schedule unless it's no more than 2 towns away, I can't commit.

I've attempted to get my personal mission statement across to several threads where I make monthly overland trips. Unlike happy hour setups where 2-6 hours must be carved out on a particular day. An entire weekend is planned out where full or partial commitment can be expected. Would anyone have more interest or flexibility to take the monthly meet ups to the field? My dates each month are easily planned 45 days in advance working around holidays usually gives 2 week flex. Aiming for 10/21 weekend for October. Looking to do a loop around snowshoe and ending around black water falls. Anyone is welcome to come along as a contributor or follower.

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

On FB, there's the Mid-Atlantic Overland Society, which started as mainly NoVA/DMV, but it's grown. Isn't there an OB East coast FB page?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Epic Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Washington, D.C.
Member #

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
I was thinking about doing one for just Nova/MD peeps. Keep it local and not require a member number to join. This will keep it accessible to new, local people who are looking to join us and what not. I can start one tomorrow.

Was also thinking that we could do polls on that page for long term trips. Pick a time frame for us to do a long trip, and then post up some trip ideas and have ppl vote. Once decided we can create a thread or meet up and post it to the FB.

I got some more ideas to toss out but will do it once I get home.