US East Northern VA / MD Monthly Meetups

• HTML tutorial

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

I would be down for the NJ trip BUT 4 weeks might be to soon for me. I would have to see if someone else has the time off, see whats going on with work at that time, and my wife would have to put in the time off. Plus I want to get some things done to the Jeep and I dont think I could get it done by then.
Yeah. I still need to double check with my work also to get leave approved as soon as possible to be able to go.

Reactions: Epic Overland

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I don't think we'll make the NJ trip this year. I love the idea but we're low on PTO for the rest of this year for a trip that far away. We drive 6.5hr up north every year in December to see family for Christmas, so we probably won't want to do it in October as well just for a night or two of that NJ trail to be back in time for work. We will definitely join closer trips this year. Might be able to do that NJ trip next year though... we'd take a day or two off work so we could enjoy the whole trek stress free rather than rushing to get back in time. I bet we could find a 2-3 day adventure this year that doesn't require a 6 hour drive to the rally point. Will start searching more after this week.

$45 for a map file seems crazy to me. Isn't the idea for these forums/communities to open source this information and share so that others can enjoy overlanding together, no matter what you drive? Leaves a sour taste in my mouth that someone would charge a price like that. Just my $.02.

So I found this plan that some of the guys from Expedition Portal went on this past June and they posted their entire plan including rally points, where to camp and the *.gpx file: https://www.overlandnyc.com/tnjt

It looks like these guys did this run in three days (not including getting to the rally point and the drive back home - which for the majority of us would be a half-day drive each way). Do you guys want to hit up this trail this year? Let me know if there is interest in doing this the 3rd or 4th week of October. I'd imagine it would be more like a 4-5 day trip for the most of us who have to drive up to NJ. If people can't make it out this year, we can always table this plan for next year when the parks open back up in April.
Just fyi it looks like the one state park charges $25/day per rig with two day minimum, even if you only stay one night. So might be a good idea to skip that park for another that allows single night for single charge. (Or find a field instead)

Sounds like a good idea. How are you guys looking this weekend for a NOVA/MD meet-up at a pub for drinks/planning?
I'm working on the house with my dad this whole week and he heads back home Saturday or Sunday. I probably can't join this Saturday but Sunday lunch might work. Or next weekend or the one after could probably work. No biggy if we can't make it though.

Epic Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Washington, D.C.
Member #

@geekyadam Brings up a really good point with regards to the price that dude is charging for the maps. The Overland NYC page that @DRJ posted up seemed to have some useful info on it. A quick Google search revealed THIS MAP of the TNJT that looks to be pretty dialed. I'd imagine that some of you guys with a bit more experience GPS-ing things could make this work. There is also a TNJT thread on Overland bound that looks to have some pretty good info.

As far as timeline. It seems like most folks are getting pretty tight with time for a multi-day fall trip. Perhaps we look at a some dates for the Spring. That would give guys time to get time off work or leave approved, whatever the case may be. If anyone is interested in a recon of the lower part of the trail say from Where Elwood RD. crosses the Atlantic City Expressway down to Cape May, I'd be down for a quick overnighter. My schedule is pretty flexible so mid week stuff is not out of the question.

Reactions: DRJ and geekyadam

smplone

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling VA
Member #

Hello,

Met up with a few of you this past weekend by coinscedence when performing my monthly overland trip for September at gwnf. I have been conducting monthly trips from august to April for last 6 years exploring VA/WVA/KY/TN. They run every 30 days - weekend warrior trips. Catching up to local forums within OB. Let me know if anyone wants to tag along on future trip or need gpx files of the area.

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Hello,

Met up with a few of you this past weekend by coinscedence when performing my monthly overland trip for September at gwnf. I have been conducting monthly trips from august to April for last 6 years exploring VA/WVA/KY/TN. They run every 30 days - weekend warrior trips. Catching up to local forums within OB. Let me know if anyone wants to tag along on future trip or need gpx files of the area.
Guys this is the guy I met at the gas station with the white Titan that stopped up at the camp site in the morning.
BTW thanks for the recommendations for Meadows Pole, we got caught up a couple times along the rock trails leading to the mudpits but it was a great time!

CO_R1T

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Kaufer
Member #

Sounds like a good idea. How are you guys looking this weekend for a NOVA/MD meet-up at a pub for drinks/planning?
I'm up for meeting up! Sorry I missed out on the trip last weekend. I was battling requests to explore closer to DC for my friend in town, and had to weigh the options. Definitely interested in the ongoing thread for another trip.