Northern Tool 40" x 48" Trailer

• HTML tutorial

armourbl

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Phoenix, AZ
Member #

Looks a lot like the cheap Harbor Freight trailers. I'd recommend against it. Better to get something a bit more expensive from a local trailer supply or even some of the big box home improvement stores for a base build. If you do go for the linked trailer, plan on doing a lot of welding and reinforcement to make it strong enough to survive added weight and the burden of off road torture.

ben

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Looks a lot like the cheap Harbor Freight trailers. I'd recommend against it. Better to get something a bit more expensive from a local trailer supply or even some of the big box home improvement stores for a base build. If you do go for the linked trailer, plan on doing a lot of welding and reinforcement to make it strong enough to survive added weight and the burden of off road torture.

ben
+1

Especially if you want to take this off-road/overlanding. You need something durable and reinforced for the rigors that will be placed on it.

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

I don't particularly plan to wheel it too hard, but I know that when the opportunity arises I will wish I went a different route.

What other options do I have in terms of more sturdy trailers?

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

I don't particularly plan to wheel it too hard, but I know that when the opportunity arises I will wish I went a different route.

What other options do I have in terms of more sturdy trailers?
I think the first question is what kind of trailer? Enclosed/teardrop style? Open bed? With/without RTT?

There are a plethora of options out there for any way you go. But something from a trailer manufacturer would be a great base and not too expensive.

I bought a pontoon trailer from a builder in central Florida 8 years ago for $2200 new.

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

I'm simply looking to do something like this with a RTT on top. Mostly for weekend journeys but I do want to take it out to Moab eventually. I will just set up in a campground or off a side road; I don't plan to rock crawl with my trailer to my destination.

https://compactcampingconcepts.com/explorerbox/
That's pretty basic and would be just fine for highway/pavement.... my question would be how would that trailer hold up on washboards for 5-6 miles? That's the only reason I was suggesting a bit heavier duty on the trailer.

Most of the off-road builds you see on here prefer welded frames over bolt-together, simply for durability and longevity. just my 2 cents....

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

I feel you, and I am sure when I hit that washboard road I will regret cheaping out on the trailer. I don't want to do this twice and since the materials for the box itself will be pretty cheap maybe I will splurge for a welded frame to be put together by a local fabricator.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

I feel you, and I am sure when I hit that washboard road I will regret cheaping out on the trailer. I don't want to do this twice and since the materials for the box itself will be pretty cheap maybe I will splurge for a welded frame to be put together by a local fabricator.
Sounds like a good compromise. That way, if in the future you want to upgrade the box, you can re-use the frame/trailer. ;)

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

I built my overland trailer from a Harbor Freight Super Duty 4ft x 8ft. I chopped it up & done lots of mod's new suspension system, shocks, I welded all the joints & fabricated a custom tongue. Don't let anyone tell you different. I've had my trailer in some rough trails w\o any issues. Heres my build https://www.facebook.com/don.mullis.12/media_set?set=a.656437761071768&type=3&fb_dtsg_ag=Adyp0t8Z_6CrXqIdfFrtIV4wM9yFQxDuCuFRhJiSV-u0Eg:AdwqL1m4vHlo0Cs0-XOBbiaHQ3WPE2XrSklX8YmzIWgdbg

1st photo is when I finished the Harbor Freight Super Duty with lots of mod's, new suspension system w\shocks I fabricated the tongue & reinforced by extra metal & 10lbs of #30 welding wired used.
2nd & 3rd & 4th photo is the finished overland trailer built from a Harbor Freight Super Duty Trailer.
5th is the wife & 30 miles in dispersed camping. The roads were washed out & rough in some spots. My trailer done fine on offroad travels.

Don't let anyone tell you Northern Tool, Harbor Freight, Lowes trailers,, boat trailers are cheap or lousy to build off. 1st no disrespect to any one here do not let any one tell you....you shouldn't use this type of trailer you asked or the ones I mention wouldn't make good trailer build as of over land chassis. I know of many who built some fine adventure trailers from these types of chassis "if" they modified them. 2. any build can produce a piece of junk adventure trailer "if" the individual cuts, cheap'n on the parts suspension, reinforcing of the build. Your build will be as only as good as it is what you put into it. Many will hurry & slap things together. These are the junkard's.

My build took 9 1\2 months with 6 months of planning.
002.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG

007.JPG 060.JPG

Last edited:

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

I built my overland trailer from a Harbor Freight Super Duty 4ft x 8ft. I chopped it up & done lots of mod's new suspension system, shocks, I welded all the joints & fabricated a custom tongue. Don't let anyone tell you different. I've had my trailer in some rough trails w\o any issues. Heres my build https://www.facebook.com/don.mullis.12/media_set?set=a.656437761071768&type=3&fb_dtsg_ag=Adyp0t8Z_6CrXqIdfFrtIV4wM9yFQxDuCuFRhJiSV-u0Eg:AdwqL1m4vHlo0Cs0-XOBbiaHQ3WPE2XrSklX8YmzIWgdbg

1st photo is when I finished the Harbor Freight Super Duty with lots of mod's, new suspension system w\shocks I fabricated the tongue & reinforced by extra metal & 10lbs of #30 welding wired used.
2nd & 3rd & 4th photo is the finished overland trailer built from a Harbor Freight Super Duty Trailer.
5th is the wife & 30 miles in dispersed camping. The roads were washed out & rough in some spots. My trailer done fine on offroad travels.

Don't let anyone tell you Northern Tool, Harbor Freight, Lowes trailers,, boat trailers are cheap or lousy to build off. 1st no disrespect to any one here do not let any one tell you....you shouldn't use this type of trailer you asked or the ones I mention wouldn't make good trailer build as of over land chassis. I know of many who built some fine adventure trailers from these types of chassis "if" they modified them. 2. any build can produce a piece of junk adventure trailer "if" the individual cuts, cheap'n on the parts suspension, reinforcing of the build. Your build will be as only as good as it is what you put into it. Many will hurry & slap things together. These are the junkard's.

My build took 9 1\2 months with 6 months of planning.
By no means was I saying you couldn't use this as a base for a build .... just recommended something more purposefully built.

Sounds like you mitigated that by elbow-grease ("chopped it up & done lots of mod's new suspension system, shocks, I welded all the joints & fabricated a custom tongue.")! And might i say your trailer looks solid! I would be interested to know if your method was more cost effective than purchasing one? Obviously having your hands on each and every mod/weld would give you better piece of mind on how its built from ground up.

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

cost wise I have 5,900.00 into the trailer, tent, awning. Labor was alot of hours. I wanted to see if I could build one. I was originally looking at a Ruger Trailer. I took the challenge on & was quite pleased. My wife & I are running the Arkansas & Oklahoma Trans American Trail in march of 2019 with the trailer.
You do good work! ;) Beautiful trailer.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
@ArkansasDon is right. 1000’s of trailers have been built using these as a base. Check out tnttt.com.
When building a trailer, a title may be worth more than you realize. You can find these used, with title for dirt cheap.

Reactions: ArkansasDon

mo_rahn

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Savannah, GA, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Rahn
Member #

I am just now starting a teardrop build and was considering northern tool for my base platform and decided against it. For me, it would simply take to many modifications to make it highway/off-road worthy. That trailer is only rated for 45mph. You will likely have to upgrade tires (possibly fenders and maybe an axle). It can be done, just count your time and expenses.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

I am just now starting a teardrop build and was considering northern tool for my base platform and decided against it. For me, it would simply take to many modifications to make it highway/off-road worthy. That trailer is rated for 45mph. You will likely have to upgrade tires (possibly fenders and maybe an axle). It can be done, just count your time and expenses.
question, have you built a adventure trailer using one of these trailer kits or not using a kit?

I'm using a Harbor Freight Super Duty Axle in mine which is rated 1,730lbs as well as a modified Harbor Freight Super Duty frame. I haven't had any issues offroading or hwy use with my trailer. I know many folks who used the same trailer frame kits w\o issues for their builds. The Harbor Freights, Northern Tool trailers actually has a higher hauling capacity on road & offroad than the original M100 & M416 military jeep trailers which were 500lb rated offroad capacity & 750lbs hwy load capacity which those trailer are sought after for overland builds. If you see a stripped down M416 or M100 frame & compare it to a Harbor Freight or Northern Tool trailer kit you will see very close design similarities. The Northern Tool Ironton 5ft. x 8ft. heavy duty trailer kit has a 1,980lb hauling capacity, the Harbor Freights Super Duty trailer kit has a hauling capacity of 1,730lbs were their cheaper 40"x48" trailers are over a 1,000lb capacity which are more than M100 or M416 military jeep trailers be used as adventure trailers. Most people who use the Harbor Freight or Northern Tool trailer kits as build platforms change out suspension, tire size, weld up the joints as well as modified the tongue with a back bone which I made the choice to build & fabricate a whole new tongue. It takes no more time difference whether building a trailer frame from scratch or using one of these type trailer frames kits with modifications.
013.JPG
028.JPG
031.JPG

Last edited:

mo_rahn

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Savannah, GA, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Rahn
Member #

question, have you built a adventure trailer using one of these trailer kits or not using a kit?

I'm using a Harbor Freight Super Duty Axle in mine which is rated 1,730lbs as well as a modified Har Freight frame. I haven't had any issues offroading or hwy use with my trailer. I know many folks who used the same trailer frame kits w\o issues. The Harbor Freights, Northern Tool trailers actually has a higher hauling capacity on road & offroad than the original M100 & M416 jeep trailers which were 500lb rated offroad capacity & 750lbs hwy load capacity which those trailer are sought after for overland builds. The Northern Tool Ironton 5ft. x 8ft. heavy duty trailer kit has a 1,980lb hauling capacity, the Harbor Freights Super Duty trailer kit has a hauling capacity of 1,730lbs were their cheaper 40"x48" trailers are over a 1,000lb capacity which are more than M100 or M416 military jeep trailers be used as adventure trailers. Most people who use the Harbor Freight or Northern Tool trailer kits as build platforms change out suspension, tire size, weld up the joints as well as modified the tongue with a back bone. It takes any more time difference whether building a trailer frame from scratch or using one of these type trailer frames kits with modifications.
View attachment 66064
View attachment 66065
View attachment 66066
I have NOT used a harbor freight trailer for a build before. By all means I think they can be a good platform (I looked into using one), but like you said modifications are needed. In my situation, I have limited experience welding and didn’t want to deal with it if I didn’t have too. I found a used trailer that only needed the axle replaced (for wheel base and lug pattern change) and it was ready to go. Again these trailers are a good starting point they just need a little elbow grease IMO. They just weren’t the right thing for me.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

FADuenas

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Salinas, Ca
Member #

I'd advise against it. I owned one and bolted to large plastic totes on it, also pulled with a TJ. It bent on it first offroad excursion that was mild to day the least.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Go for it! It's not like you'll be the first. I just picked up a used 4x8 harbor freight trailer for $100 that is going to get a make over into an adventure trailer, something similar to the explorer box that you previously mentioned, topped with a RTT. I'm going to clip off the back, put on a 5 lug axle (for matching wheels) and probably a front to back spine/tongue. If it gets twisted up, I'll improvise. If something happens, will it be 100% destroyed? I'll salvage what I can and start over. I've noticed strangers on forums are really good at telling you to spend more money when it's not theirs, "Buy once, cry once." I hate that almost as much as the term "overlanding", but I digress. You're not going to find a "heavy enough" trailer frame in that size unless you have it built, and what will that cost? I've looked at the big box store trailers. They are not any heavier duty, welded yes, but very flimsy at twice the money. I'm guessing you don't have the means (space or equipment), like me, to build it from scratch yourself. I bet you can do a few mods to stiffen it up. It absolutely blows me away the money they get for off road trailers. Stooopid money! I watched a youtube video of a moose built trailer, $61k! :flushed: That's 2.5 times what I paid for my first house in 1997! Some of us have 5 kids, 2 in college and a wedding to pay for in less than a year...