Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
I use this for my RTT. Holds several Rubbermaid totes and the lawn chairs. I've taken it on 1 trip so far, over a 1000 miles, and it performed flawlessly. Base cost was $450 from Lowes. I've added leveling jacks, front wheel jack, done an axle over for more clearance, and put larger 13" rims/tires, welded two bars for RTT mount, and Bearing Buddies to easily keep bearings greased. May have $700 in it. This fall I plan to diamond plate it, and call it good. Very pleased with the price/performance ratio. Oh, it's gone everywhere my FJ has.
3 1/2' x 5'. Fully loaded around 500lbs. It definitely meets your small criteria.
FJ & RTT at Mardi Krawl.jpg

Will I Am

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Layton, Utah
Member #

Has anyone used one of these to create a trailer? I'd love to make something like a Manley where I can keep some bins and a cooler/fridge in the bottom with a RTT on the top. Would something this small work? I'd be towing it with a Jeep TJ so the smaller the better!

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200612543_200612543
A local Guy purchased one of those... He won't admit it however from my perspective as a mechanical engineer looking at the work he did to just the frame alone he spent more $$ on making the frame stronger and raising it up along with different suspension than he purchased the original unit for. Only reason I can see he went that route was he could "Hide" the actual cost from the wife because one item at a time don't show up as much... Heh just saying.... and oh yeah he is still working on it 4 month latter.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
A local Guy purchased one of those... He won't admit it however from my perspective as a mechanical engineer looking at the work he did to just the frame alone he spent more $$ on making the frame stronger and raising it up along with different suspension than he purchased the original unit for. Only reason I can see he went that route was he could "Hide" the actual cost from the wife because one item at a time don't show up as much... Heh just saying.... and oh yeah he is still working on it 4 month latter.
That may be, but even at triple the price, the finished product is still a bargain. Not to mention he’s probably enjoying the project as much as the intended use.

I haven’t seen a HD alternative to these trailers, if they’re out there please share a link.

Last edited:
Reactions: Will I Am

Will I Am

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Layton, Utah
Member #

With Trailers like the off Road ones here I have a interesting Question that I have not found any valid information on that relates to titles for the single axle trailer and registration. Here in Utah You can but do not have to register a single axle trailer as long as it is NOT used for commercial work. So with that said None of my trailers are Registered so no tags on them that is for a boat trailer, Flat ATV trailer and old pickup truck bed trailer I just wonder what I would run into when towing into another state? I have done this several times and never gave it any consideration at all. There is a title for the boat trailer nothing for the others.DSC00035.JPG

Will I Am

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Layton, Utah
Member #

That may be, but even at triple the price, the finished product is still a bargain. Not to mention he’s probably enjoying the project as much as the intended use.

I haven’t seen a HD alternative to these trailers, if they’re out there please share a link.
These Guys are in Ogden Utah and they build to your request so if you just want a Frame that is what you can have they have listed a open tub one for off road complete with rack for $2800 https://www.quadraxtrailers.com/

And as for my comments about the spending on his trailer build nothing ment as a put down it is just what it is one way or another the cost for these darn "overland" trailers is a lot no matter what approach you use and if into the DIY then yes fun if you have the time nothing wrong with it I may go that route also because there is no way will I spend that $10,000 all at once on a trailer but I know how I am I will nickle and dime it all the way there.....

Last edited:

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

perfect example of why Harbor Freights, Northern Tool trailer frames fail in post #19. Simply bolting a Harbor Freight\Northern Tool trailer frame together with it's stock leaf springs w\o modifications & fabrication to the frame & tongue will not hold up to trail use. Taking that stock flimsy HF or NT frame out & about on the trails will cause tweaking & loosen of the frame fasteners making the frame useless.
Like in my 1st post #11, states welding the joints, adding a 2" thick wall back bone, changing out the suspension adding shocks with shock mounts will help make the trailer more trail worthy. Just those items done strengthens the frame, adding shock to the suspension will keep the fires planted more on those bumpy roads & makes for a smoother ride for your gear.

Compact Camping Concepts web sites show perfect examples of explore box adventure trailers built from these frames & fabricated frames. https://compactcampingconcepts.com/ https://compactcampingconcepts.com/explorerbox/.

Scott built many of these budget friendly adventure trailers that have been deep into Oregon Wilderness as well as his customers have all over this country.

The trailer tongues on Harbor Freight & Northern Tool trailers are not stout enough to handle trail use. They are very flimsy & weak. Scott show the basics on one of his web sites "how to's" to make these trailer frames trail worthy. https://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-888.html

People get in a hurry slapping things together expecting them to handle the riggers of trails & common offroad use. I am NOT expecting any one to go to the lengths I gone, BUT my trailer & chassis is extremely trail worthy. For some one to demonize Harbor Freight or Northern Tool trailer frames are just going off here say from others is NO more creditable than just guess work & speculation.

I can only speak for Arkansas, registration & titles w\ plate were at the revenue office, gave them gross weight loaded, DMV will give you VIN ID which you can put the VIN # on a plate (which I did) install permanently on the trailer right side tongue. This way I insured my trailer with my insurance company too for the cost of the build plus items in it.

Last edited:

Will I Am

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Layton, Utah
Member #

p

I can only speak for Arkansas, registration & titles w\ plate were at the revenue office, gave them gross weight loaded, DMV will give you VIN ID which you can put the VIN # on a plate (which I did) install permanently on the trailer right side tongue. This way I insured my trailer with my insurance company too for the cost of the build plus items in it.
Insurance here I checked on and and if it is attached to the "Insured" vehicle it is covered so it says but I will have to look at that closer for the fine print on that.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
These Guys are in Ogden Utah and they build to your request so if you just want a Frame that is what you can have they have listed a open tub one for off road complete with rack for $2800 https://www.quadraxtrailers.com/

And as for my comments about the spending on his trailer build nothing ment as a put down it is just what it is one way or another the cost for these darn "overland" trailers is a lot no matter what approach you use and if into the DIY then yes fun if you have the time nothing wrong with it I may go that route also because there is no way will I spend that $10,000 all at once on a trailer but I know how I am I will nickle and dime it all the way there.....
I didn’t get the feeling you what you said was a put down. That price on the Ogden trailer gets to my point though. If you spent $300 on the initial trailer AND an additional $600 (which is probably high) on improvements you’re still around a third the price. And that trailer is better than half of what a smittybilt trailer runs and you still have to put that together. You are correct, no matter what it’s going to cost you.

I pose this question, is it better to have a trailer that MIGHT not be perfect, or no trailer because it takes you years to save up for one? A trailer breakdown would suck, but life threatening? Probably not.

I’m also curious, not in a snarky way, genuinely curious. How many people REALLY wheel their trailer? Yes, a washboard gravel road would be hard on a cheap trailer, but that’d also be the case with a camper/toy hauler costing thousands of dollars. How cool would it be to have something capable of surviving the Rubicon? Pretty sweet, but do I really need that?

Don’t forget the “project” aspect of this type of trailer too, that appeals to some people.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
Insurance here I checked on and and if it is attached to the "Insured" vehicle it is covered so it says but I will have to look at that closer for the fine print on that.
You’re probably only covered in case of an accident. You would most likely need a stand alone policy in case of theft.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I didn’t get the feeling you what you said was a put down. That price on the Ogden trailer gets to my point though. If you spent $300 on the initial trailer AND an additional $600 (which is probably high) on improvements you’re still around a third the price. And that trailer is better than half of what a smittybilt trailer runs and you still have to put that together. You are correct, no matter what it’s going to cost you.

I pose this question, is it better to have a trailer that MIGHT not be perfect, or no trailer because it takes you years to save up for one? A trailer breakdown would suck, but life threatening? Probably not.

I’m also curious, not in a snarky way, genuinely curious. How many people REALLY wheel their trailer? Yes, a washboard gravel road would be hard on a cheap trailer, but that’d also be the case with a camper/toy hauler costing thousands of dollars. How cool would it be to have something capable of surviving the Rubicon? Pretty sweet, but do I really need that?

Don’t forget the “project” aspect of this type of trailer too, that appeals to some people.
I wheel my trailer. I will pull it anywhere I take the Jeep.

Will I Am

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Layton, Utah
Member #

I insured this for theft purposes,
darn you guys you are making me do my home work better! I went and read (now come on how many of Us guys read everything because we already know it all? you you are right accident only so if someone unhitched my boat and stole it only the boat is insured! not the trailer! now that is F@#%! up! and the same applies to the other trailers. now you guys are costing me $$

Will I Am

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Layton, Utah
Member #

it depends I like to wrench it so I do not mind welding things and building things doing the project part only part that sucks is the time to do that when I really want to be fishing.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
it depends I like to wrench it so I do not mind welding things and building things doing the project part only part that sucks is the time to do that when I really want to be fishing.
I hear you! For me fishing is not something that'd take up any of my time. When your summer job was living on a 32' boat (half of it work deck) and handling 120,000 lbs of salmon in 3 weeks, you don't really come home to more fish!

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

IMO you can not have enough insurance. The wife & I signed up for a cancer policy 20 yrs ago threw Aflac, 13 yrs ago the wife was diagnosed with breast cancer, the insurance company paid out close to 13,000.00 May of this year I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin Lymphoma the same policy paid out 12,750.00. My insurance paid 85% of everything. Now my insurance policy on my overland trailer covers theft here at home or on the trail, or anything damaging while in storage in my shop build on my farm by tornado, fire theft, whatever. Your correct on vehicle insurance coving for the trailer while in travel bound.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
I've considered a DIY camper/trailer out of an enclosed box trailer like these: http://haulmark.com/trailers/cargo-trailers/transport/transport-5-wide

But also really like the off-road teardrop style of Hiker Trailers: https://www.hikertrailers.com/
I'm not sure if you've spent much time around those enclosed trailers, but I would not consider them off-road ready. I've used a bunch of different ones as a rental store employee and a landscaper. It'd be easier to get a HF/Northern trailer with a RTT off road than one of those.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Will I Am

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Layton, Utah
Member #

I hear you! For me fishing is not something that'd take up any of my time. When your summer job was living on a 32' boat (half of it work deck) and handling 120,000 lbs of salmon in 3 weeks, you don't really come home to more fish!
That I can understand when we talk fishing here we will be out on the boat - Named "A Job" we might have a line in the water or maybe not depends on who brought the Refreshments but the best part is I get a call and I just tell em I'm out on " A Job" and with that we get left alone and I certainly didn't lie bout it.

Reactions: T4R.Shadow.Fox

Will I Am

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Layton, Utah
Member #

IMO you can not have enough insurance. The wife & I signed up for a cancer policy 20 yrs ago threw Aflac, 13 yrs ago the wife was diagnosed with breast cancer, the insurance company paid out close to 13,000.00 May of this year I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin Lymphoma the same policy paid out 12,750.00. My insurance paid 85% of everything. Now my insurance policy on my overland trailer covers theft here at home or on the trail, or anything damaging while in storage in my shop build on my farm by tornado, fire theft, whatever. Your correct on vehicle insurance coving for the trailer while in travel bound.
I went in to the Insurance thing with the agent about what we been talking about and wow did he do a bunch of back pedaling fast because when I first asked for the insurance for the boat I did ask and have it in writing for full coverage when the boat and trailer are parked not being towed excuses excuses was what I got and now I have all the coverage I need and wanted in the first place and that is with a new insurance agent . So thanks for the heads up!

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

you have to be careful with insurance agents, they will not get into details about particular coverage which IMO leaves you thinking your covered for everything. No it doesn't. I own a business in the firearm industry (not sales). What I do for a living I own many custom built rifles w\ custom finishes. I was talking with my insurance company about these firearms when then expressed their insured value as only 250.00 each. I thought what! some would retail for 3,000. to upward as 6,000. each. In order for me to insure these rifles a separate policy has to be written up, each firearm photo'd & written description. It's like my shop buildings on my farm, they only insured the building NOT the contents in the building. I had to have them come out & have a whole new policy written up.