Northern Tool 40" x 48" Trailer

• HTML tutorial

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

To follow up on the initial post... My wife and I have been talking and may instead be considering a Hiker Trailer. When weighing all the options I feel that may be our best bet. Y'all can keep the discussion going though because it is definitely informative!

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

I think so as well. I really need to get out and explore more, and with a Jeep TJ it is awfully hard to fit gear and dogs in for a trip. I think the Hiker will address many of our needs as well as adding a few comforts to the adventure. The trip we are building up to will be a two week adventure out to Arizona and Utah to see the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, and Moab with a couple of other stops here and there. We are planning on going with the Mid-Range package as that will give us most of the off-road capability we will need.

Here is a question for y'all: Should I go for the Lock and Roll/Max Coupler or will a traditional ball hitch work well enough?

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
We are planning on going with the Mid-Range package as that will give us most of the off-road capability we will need.

Here is a question for y'all: Should I go for the Lock and Roll/Max Coupler or will a traditional ball hitch work well enough?
If you don’t see yourself wheeling it hard enough to need the off road version I’m not sure you’d need anything other than a ball.

Reactions: Captain Chaos

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

"most" of any of the articulating hitches would be a good choice IMO. 2" ball coupler no so much. I had a 2" ball on my adventure trailer for along time, but switched to Lock & Roll.
If you don’t see yourself wheeling it hard, not sure you’d need anything other than a ball.
I don't see myself wheeling it hard, but I'd hate to be faced with a situation where I regret not getting it. I will see how much extra that will run me.

I have seen that the Max Coupler is a better/stronger option. Does anyone here have any opinions on the matter?

Reactions: ArkansasDon

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
I don't see myself wheeling it hard, but I'd hate to be faced with a situation where I regret not getting it. I will see how much extra that will run me.

I have seen that the Max Coupler is a better/stronger option. Does anyone here have any opinions on the matter?
I don’t know what they cost, so it may be a non-issue. If you’re spending that much on a trailer you may as well spend a few hundred more. Given how you’ve stated things, it seems like you’d turn around before you were in an situation that’d require it.

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

I don’t know what they cost, so it may be a non-issue. If you’re spending that much on a trailer you may as well spend a few hundred more. Given how you’ve stated things, it seems like you’d turn around before you were in an situation that’d require it.
Initially I don't foresee us doing anything too crazy with it, but as we get more into the lifestyle I have a feeling we will try to get more and more remote. I suppose I'd rather plan for it ahead of time rather than trying to fix it after the fact. If it's a couple hundred more it's probably worth it so we don't have to worry.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Initially I don't foresee us doing anything too crazy with it, but as we get more into the lifestyle I have a feeling we will try to get more and more remote. I suppose I'd rather plan for it ahead of time rather than trying to fix it after the fact. If it's a couple hundred more it's probably worth it so we don't have to worry.
Makes sense, what’s the price difference from mid to off road? You may want to consider that route if that is your final intention.

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

Makes sense, what’s the price difference from mid to off road? You may want to consider that route if that is your final intention.
I was thinking the same thing but it's another $2,700 to jump up to that one. Granted you get a few other nice options like shocks, bigger tires, a front storage rack and box, as well as a stronger frame.

At this rate we are approaching almost $10,000 for this trailer with options like awnings, a road shower, and the electrical package and I don't think we want to exceed that. Plus, my Jeep isn't that big and to tow a trailer on off-road terrain like that I would want/have to do some more upgrades which would require more cash... And the trailer would have bigger tires than my Jeep!

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Exactly. I'm sure it's worth it if you'd use it to it's full potential but I don't know if I ever would.
This hobby/lifestyle is sooo good at adding up $’s exponentially! A little upgrade here, a few hundred more there... Buy once, cry once into bankruptcy!

Reactions: sabjku and Tyler.W

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

I look at it this way, it's their when you need it, much like insurance. Known that you have it is that peace of mind. I went on many trails with a 2" ball coupler & done find, but I got into some situations were I heard my coupler pop a few times (nothing hard or rigorous trail) just were it was wash out some. That's when I realize a articulating hitch was needed. I've been satisfied with the purchased ever since. I paid 300.00 plus shipping

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyler.W

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

"most" of any of the articulating hitches would be a good choice IMO. 2" ball coupler no so much. I had a 2" ball on my adventure trailer for along time, but switched to Lock & Roll.
Added benefit of articulated hitches.... more (somewhat) secure. Not many people run around with those on their rigs! [emoji16]

Will I Am

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Layton, Utah
Member #

you have to be careful with insurance agents, they will not get into details about particular coverage which IMO leaves you thinking your covered for everything. No it doesn't. I own a business in the firearm industry (not sales). What I do for a living I own many custom built rifles w\ custom finishes. I was talking with my insurance company about these firearms when then expressed their insured value as only 250.00 each. I thought what! some would retail for 3,000. to upward as 6,000. each. In order for me to insure these rifles a separate policy has to be written up, each firearm photo'd & written description. It's like my shop buildings on my farm, they only insured the building NOT the contents in the building. I had to have them come out & have a whole new policy written up.
It depends on location here in Utah it is Just like you said and where I lived before in Upstate NY the insurance companies gave you a full disclosure because it was required yes it is up to you to read it however it was there in full for you to see before signing for it.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I started out with a standard ball-hitch on my Morris Mule trailer, which honestly, is fine for just about everything I use it for. However, I started to think of "what if" situations, and whether I might regret NOT going with an articulating setup. So, I ordered a Lock-N-Roll, and couldn't be happier. I like knowing that I have a setup that's more capable than I am.

Another nice bonus of the articulating - not many people have articulating setups, and that makes me feel a bit better from a theft perspective.

COExplr

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Denver, Co
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Morris
Member #

I was thinking the same thing but it's another $2,700 to jump up to that one. Granted you get a few other nice options like shocks, bigger tires, a front storage rack and box, as well as a stronger frame.

At this rate we are approaching almost $10,000 for this trailer with options like awnings, a road shower, and the electrical package and I don't think we want to exceed that. Plus, my Jeep isn't that big and to tow a trailer on off-road terrain like that I would want/have to do some more upgrades which would require more cash... And the trailer would have bigger tires than my Jeep!
I'm with ArkansasDon in saying you made a good choice with the Hiker Trailer. I'm in the queue for a mid-range build out of the Denver location - they are all a great bunch to work with. Which size are you going with 5x8 or 5x9? I elected for the 5x9 and after demoing a 5x8 for several days, I'm happy I upgraded. The extra foot split between the galley and cabin (elected the 24" galley option) will be nice... at 6 feet tall I found my feet constantly hitting the wall while laying down on the bed in the 5x8 demo.
As you are deciding on other build components, I'm happy to tell you what I elected and why. I did see that you are looking at the electrical packages. Rob (owner out of Denver) and I went back and forth on this and I elected the prep and wiring upgrade packages - this saves some money to put in other options if you are willing to spend some time after taking delivery of the trailer to do the switch, lights, fuse panel, battery, etc. hook-ups yourself. Rob is doing the base wiring for me so it can be hidden in the ceiling and frame during the build. These trailers can be modified significantly yourself down the road, so I'm having them focus on the core options that would be a little more difficult to retrofit later - it all does still add up though!

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

I'm with ArkansasDon in saying you made a good choice with the Hiker Trailer. I'm in the queue for a mid-range build out of the Denver location - they are all a great bunch to work with. Which size are you going with 5x8 or 5x9? I elected for the 5x9 and after demoing a 5x8 for several days, I'm happy I upgraded. The extra foot split between the galley and cabin (elected the 24" galley option) will be nice... at 6 feet tall I found my feet constantly hitting the wall while laying down on the bed in the 5x8 demo.
As you are deciding on other build components, I'm happy to tell you what I elected and why. I did see that you are looking at the electrical packages. Rob (owner out of Denver) and I went back and forth on this and I elected the prep and wiring upgrade packages - this saves some money to put in other options if you are willing to spend some time after taking delivery of the trailer to do the switch, lights, fuse panel, battery, etc. hook-ups yourself. Rob is doing the base wiring for me so it can be hidden in the ceiling and frame during the build. These trailers can be modified significantly yourself down the road, so I'm having them focus on the core options that would be a little more difficult to retrofit later - it all does still add up though!
I haven't tried the Hiker but I feel we will be more than comfortable in the 5x8 as we are shorter people.

We are doing a fair bit of upgrades but I am still trying to decide on what to do with the electrical system. I will have them run cables at the minimum but I am not sure if I want to go with the new small battery package or upgrade to the bigger battery. I do like the idea of building my own system because it will be cheaper and I can customize it to what I need power for. The downside is that I am not experienced in electrical work so I will need to research everything to make sure I install everything correctly...