Launch Member

Influencer II

Concord, California, United States
First Name
Barron
Last Name
Flanders
Member #

Hema Maps just launched its app for North America! with their app you get access 4x4 or overland routes. you can track your GPS location in real time using offline maps. you can save a log of your trip with track recordings, geotagged photos, waypoints and trip notes. you can even back up all your data to a FREE Hema cloud account. One of the coolest things you can do is see other peoples routes and share your own to build a collection of routes. I'm going to get the Delorme InReach unit when it goes on sale tomorrow at REI so I want to see how that navigation App works but I also want to see how well this Hema App works. I definitely think its going to be better than Gaia and MotionX. The App is only $20 just like Gaia. Here is the link to the article on ExPo: http://expeditionpor...-north-america/

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

That looks very cool. I didn't see off hand if it could import/export to Garmin...

I'd be interested to see how it works. Too bad there isn't some kind of free trial.

Reactions: BEAR

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I read on ExPo that it's only on Apple right now. Also someone posted that they seemed to push it out before Expo West and there's a lot of stuff that doesn't function.

BEAR

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Barron
Last Name
Flanders
Member #

That looks very cool. I didn't see off hand if it could import/export to Garmin...

I'd be interested to see how it works. Too bad there isn't some kind of free trial.
Yes that would be nice or like charge $2,$3 and then more for a full version with the cloud. I really want to download it but I need to play with the Delorme set up first before I spend $20

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

So I bought it and after playing with it for 10 minutes, it's a different dashboard on the Gaia app. Literally I can't tell a difference. There's access to Hema maps, but the interface is Gaia. Literally Gaia. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
So I bought it and after playing with it for 10 minutes, it's a different dashboard on the Gaia app. Literally I can't tell a difference. There's access to Hema maps, but the interface is Gaia. Literally Gaia. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.
You are NOT wrong. This is an older version of GAIA in a sense because there are features which either don't work or are not in the app yet. That doesn't mean it won't get better but if you own GAIA there is no reason to spend another $20.00

My opinion is this is either licensed from GAIA or its parent company or both are licensing from a 3rd party. Kind too bad that there is nothing earth shattering here. The map choices are limited. For street maps the Hema maps look good but hey Google is fine for that. USFS Raster are not in the Hema app and I consider those to be the best topo based maps.

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

I got pretty excited when I saw this from everyone around the world raving about Hema. Hopefully they continue working on it to live up to their reputation. I'll keep an eye on updates but will pass on it for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

BEAR

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Barron
Last Name
Flanders
Member #

very disappointing but hey thanks for posting. I use MotionX right now and its pretty good but the user interface is extremely complicated. I've played with Gaia for all of 2 minutes and the interface is easier that MotionX but not by much. I guess I'll just have to play with it more. I was really hoping that Hema would be different. Hopefully the Delorme app will be easy to use and a quality product.

If I don't have Gaia which App would you recommend? Gaia or Hema? Since its almost the same

DaveL

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Lowrance
Member #

very disappointing but hey thanks for posting. I use MotionX right now and its pretty good but the user interface is extremely complicated. I've played with Gaia for all of 2 minutes and the interface is easier that MotionX but not by much. I guess I'll just have to play with it more. I was really hoping that Hema would be different. Hopefully the Delorme app will be easy to use and a quality product.

If I don't have Gaia which App would you recommend? Gaia or Hema? Since its almost the same
Have you tried BackCountry Navigator PRO? I like it a lot more than Gaia (which I also purchased but wish I hadn't). The resolution & zooming are a lot better I think.

Last edited:

mechman0925

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Fredericksburg va
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Desrosiers
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WREM716
Hema Maps just launched its app for North America! with their app you get access 4x4 or overland routes. you can track your GPS location in real time using offline maps. you can save a log of your trip with track recordings, geotagged photos, waypoints and trip notes. you can even back up all your data to a FREE Hema cloud account. One of the coolest things you can do is see other peoples routes and share your own to build a collection of routes. I'm going to get the Delorme InReach unit when it goes on sale tomorrow at REI so I want to see how that navigation App works but I also want to see how well this Hema App works. I definitely think its going to be better than Gaia and MotionX. The App is only $20 just like Gaia. Here is the link to the article on ExPo: http://expeditionpor...-north-america/
From the App Store it is getting pretty poor ratings, note: it is $17 from there

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

So this post was from a while ago, is there any comparison between the Hema Maps and Gaia?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
So this post was from a while ago, is there any comparison between the Hema Maps and Gaia?
Hema is a dead app. It looks very similar to old versions of Gaia. Form your own conclusions.

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

@1Louder
To retort to your comment, Why do you think its a dead app? Do you mean as in its lacking and/or is going nowhere?
With all due respect I will form my own conclusions but I would rather ask around/research, because it seems counter intuitive to purchase 2 apps i.e. Hema and Gaia to see which one is better when I can ask the good folks on this thread/also the web before I spend twice the money?

Also to add another perfect example just like anything in life most everything (in relation to making choices/choosing this or that) is based on opinions rarely actual facts, point in case the guys from Expedition Overland use Hema Maps (who've been to several places in the world), and others like @Lifestyle Overland who use Gaia Maps.

Both are very (in my opinion) reputable sources who use different equipment, so with that being said and after my long rant/rambling.

I am looking for statements from people based on experience and knowledge who have used both and what they have to say about it.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
@1Louder
To retort to your comment, Why do you think its a dead app? Do you mean as in its lacking and/or is going nowhere?
With all due respect I will form my own conclusions but I would rather ask around/research, because it seems counter intuitive to purchase 2 apps i.e. Hema and Gaia to see which one is better when I can ask the good folks on this thread/also the web before I spend twice the money?

Also to add another perfect example just like anything in life most everything (in relation to making choices/choosing this or that) is based on opinions rarely actual facts, point in case the guys from Expedition Overland use Hema Maps (who've been to several places in the world), and others like @Lifestyle Overland who use Gaia Maps.

Both are very (in my opinion) reputable sources who use different equipment, so with that being said and after my long rant/rambling.

I am looking for statements from people based on experience and knowledge who have used both and what they have to say about it.
I gave you a short answer which seems to have offended you. So here's a longer one.

I have used both apps. Ask HEMA how many developers work on the app? When was it last updated? How many updates since its original release? Compare that to Gaia or any other competing app. If you don’t like my answers I am totally cool with that. I have paid for an used close to a dozen apps. Still just one persons opinion. Lastly HOW MUCH has Hema paid Xpedition Overland to use their app? Do they really use it behind the scenes? Would they ever say anything bad about it? As for Kevin from Lifestyle Overland. Solid dude. I have helped him with Gaia over the years. Openly discussed the good and bad points.

If you want to spend $20 on it go for it! You asked and I gave an opinion. Free advice. Others can chime in. I tried to help save you some money. Others gave opinions above your post. I am done. Good luck with your decision.

The post above your question also states Hema has abandoned the app.

Here's a review from the app store. There are plenty of others
"
Aug 23, 2017

I gave in to the Hema hype after hearing about it on various overlanding sites, and seeing it used in a few series. Unfortunately, the app as delivered is essentially a clone of Gaia GPS, but a clone of what Gaia was a few months prior. Gaia has progressed, seen substantial updates, and new content added on the regular. The Hema app however, is stagnant, buggy, and a bit of a waste of good potential.

It's still somewhat usable, so I can't give it just one star, but it's not something I could recommend, when there's much better options available for the same (or similar) price. "

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

I gave you a short answer which seems to have offended you. So here's a longer one.

I have used both apps. Ask HEMA how many developers work on the app? When was it last updated? How many updates since its original release? Compare that to Gaia or any other competing app. If you don’t like my answers I am totally cool with that. I have paid for an used close to a dozen apps. Still just one persons opinion. Lastly HOW MUCH has Hema paid Xpedition Overland to use their app? Do they really use it behind the scenes? Would they ever say anything bad about it? As for Kevin from Lifestyle Overland. Solid dude. I have helped him with Gaia over the years. Openly discussed the good and bad points.

If you want to spend $20 on it go for it! You asked and I gave an opinion. Free advice. Others can chime in. I tried to help save you some money. Others gave opinions above your post. I am done. Good luck with your decision.

The post above your question also states Hema has abandoned the app.

Here's a review from the app store. There are plenty of others
"
Aug 23, 2017

I gave in to the Hema hype after hearing about it on various overlanding sites, and seeing it used in a few series. Unfortunately, the app as delivered is essentially a clone of Gaia GPS, but a clone of what Gaia was a few months prior. Gaia has progressed, seen substantial updates, and new content added on the regular. The Hema app however, is stagnant, buggy, and a bit of a waste of good potential.

It's still somewhat usable, so I can't give it just one star, but it's not something I could recommend, when there's much better options available for the same (or similar) price. "
Trust me lol I am not offended lol I currently serve in the military, and have been doing so for over 7yrs now, in my line of work you have to have thick skin. So with that being said, Thanks for the advice and I don't have a problem with your "Free Advice/Opinion".

I appreciate the time you took to give this advice, however the way you had approached "giving such advice" felt biased, and to be quite frank telling someone to "form their own conclusion" without much of a pretense the way you did, especially when words don't convey emotion or how the person really said/meant it can be construed as borderline rude.

Also as you said "tried to save me money" is a little forward since no decision or purchase has been made yet.

I have now read the above posts since I like most people, lead a busy life and simply threw out a question after only reading the original post. So that's my fault, but before I really started my own research, I just wanted an idea of what other members on here "who" explore that use these types of Maps had to say.

Just so you know I had been leaning towards Gaia Maps in the first place. I'm sorry that you feel as you have said, "done" over a simple conversation.
Have a good one!!

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

@Kyle & Kari Frink 1Louder is our resident GPS guru, and gave good solid advice. Reading any of the posts prior to yours indicates exactly what was said; HEMA is dead in the USA, and reviews on lots of sites give it a thumbs down.