Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
This was a really fun trip last year. Looking forward to it again.

FirenzeForza4x4

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Napa Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Apal
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SNX
Reactions: shansonpac

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
I would love to go, but it seems like there is a lawless crowd still creating problems at this beach camp. What was your experience? It is sad to see people leave a heavy foot print in such a beautiful place.

On the Lost Coast, a lawless Calif. state park has been overtaken by off-roading, fireworks, raves 9/2021
I think it really "depends". From what I've heard, this can and does happen, yet other times I hear people go and there is hardly anyone there. That said, this trip is more than just Usal, Avenue of the Giants and Fern Grove are cool places too.

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Winter/spring is better for keeping the rowdy people away. Summer time it’s much busier

SWLands

Rank IV
Investor

Pathfinder III

Oakland CA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6QBJ
Alex Hsu brought up a good point to know regarding Fern Canyon in the future. May-September you will need a parking pass but our trip shouldn’t be affected as we will be there in April.

View attachment 225763
I was there by myself last May and my America the Beautiful pass got free parking. The place was packed - I parked on the side of the road as the lot was overflowing. Still worth the visit.

20210523_122324.jpg

Reactions: PapaDave

Buck76Duster

Rank II

Enthusiast I

San Jose, California, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Bruner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6LQT
Hi Dave, Shannon and I are looking forward to the trip. Trying out new goodies on the Jeep.... I hope the Tundra is coming together well.
Are going to be exploring any Diners, Drive-ins, or Dives on the trip, or should we plan to brown bag it for all meals?
I haven't found a new mount for my gas can yet. Is 320 miles range enough or should I hurry up on the gas can and rack?
Scott

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Do we need Max-Traks for the beach?
On the way up we will probably grab fast food or bag it, and the rest of the trip will likely be food you bring. Saturday lunch will be on the Eel River, and Sunday likely after Fern Canyon in the lot there. You’ll have plenty of opportunities to gas up as this is a lot of road trip. Recovery boards are always good but I personally won’t be driving out on the sand, that black sand is notorious for getting vehicles stuck. We will likely be up more on the grassy sand or under the trees if a lot of wind is expected

Reactions: AzzyRnr and Budman

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Unfortunately, I'm going to have to back out. I hadn't realized I double-booked myself this weekend. :(

Hope you have a great trip, and maybe a little less wind than last year.

Traveler III

San Ramon California
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Shafer
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy Veteran
I've decided to pass this trip. Its a must if you haven't done this before but I've done it three times already and my Jeep wants to go off road instead of a very long road trip. Everyone have a safe and wonderful trip. Ron