Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

How far apart are the brackets? Just worries the mounts on my Scout Smittybilt mounting points are too close together.
Mine are pretty far apart. Not sure what the minimum distance is but you could probably email them and they will let you know.
IMG_4027.jpeg

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

With all this downtime, I did a check up on my truck and notice my awning cover was coming apart at the seam near the zipper. I contacted OVS and I'm hoping I'll get a replacement bag under warranty.

View attachment 146599

Update on the cover. I emailed OVS on Saturday and by Monday morning Sean already replied and had the replacement cover in the mail! Customer Service is outstanding with them. Came home today and saw the box at the front door.

Overall install is really easy, but you have to take off the awning which is a bit of a pain. To take the cover off, there are 4 screws (one on top and one on bottom on each side) that you unscrew and then slide it off. Put the new cover on, screw in the screws and that is it. Install the awning back on the brackets.

Haven't officially confirmed with OVS, but I think the new Gen awning bags are bigger. I kept the awning folded the same as before and I didn't struggle to zip up the cover. With the old bag I had to fight to get it closed. Unzipped and zipped both on the ground and when mounted again with each time having no issues.

lugee3

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Update on the cover. I emailed OVS on Saturday and by Monday morning Sean already replied and had the replacement cover in the mail! Customer Service is outstanding with them. Came home today and saw the box at the front door.

Overall install is really easy, but you have to take off the awning which is a bit of a pain. To take the cover off, there are 4 screws (one on top and one on bottom on each side) that you unscrew and then slide it off. Put the new cover on, screw in the screws and that is it. Install the awning back on the brackets.

Haven't officially confirmed with OVS, but I think the new Gen awning bags are bigger. I kept the awning folded the same as before and I didn't struggle to zip up the cover. With the old bag I had to fight to get it closed. Unzipped and zipped both on the ground and when mounted again with each time having no issues.
Thanks for the report. I have been wondering how to replace the bag since I park my LC outside and don't know how long this bag will last.

Which method are you using to fold your awning up? I do not struggle with mine and have even folded it up in the cold using the Darche method.

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Thanks for the report. I have been wondering how to replace the bag since I park my LC outside and don't know how long this bag will last.

Which method are you using to fold your awning up? I do not struggle with mine and have even folded it up in the cold using the Darche method.
I recently saw that method in this thread. I usually just fold and try to distribute it evenly. Next time I fold I’ll try out the method, but with the new cover I don’t think it will be an issue regardless.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I recently saw that method in this thread. I usually just fold and try to distribute it evenly. Next time I fold I’ll try out the method, but with the new cover I don’t think it will be an issue regardless.
Will the extra 3 poles fit in there now? That would be great to be able to carry them in the bag.

Reactions: PonoAdventures

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I just tested my bag and got on three poles no problem? I threw them on after everything is strapped in.
That is good, since I was the first to buy one of these mine is really tight. I would like to carry the poles because here in Nevada it is common for afternoon winds and a calm day could turn into 25 to 30 mph winds in just a few minutes. I think these will hold up in most winds but, I am a very redundant person who likes to cover the unexpected when I can.

lugee3

Rank II

Enthusiast II

That is good, since I was the first to buy one of these mine is really tight. I would like to carry the poles because here in Nevada it is common for afternoon winds and a calm day could turn into 25 to 30 mph winds in just a few minutes. I think these will hold up in most winds but, I am a very redundant person who likes to cover the unexpected when I can.
Yea, it seems that my bag is looser/bigger (?) than everyone elses. I have been using my nearly daily and it still seems to pack up just as easily and quickly. It is a little tighter with the poles in it, but not extremely difficult to zip up. Without the poles in the bag, it zips up really easily. I even think I have room for the straps.

Reactions: Charles M

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

I just tested my bag and got on three poles no problem? I threw them on after everything is strapped in.
I must have been a really bad folder of the awning. When I deploy the awning again and try the Darche folding method, maybe I will be available to fit the extra poles.

lugee3

Rank II

Enthusiast II

I think you all sold me on this awning. I already have a standard awning with the ARB room but Ive always wanted a 270 awning.
You won’t regret it! We absolutely love ours and will be ordering the walls ASAP
Same here. With this stay-at-home-order in California, we have been using it daily so my son can play outside in the shade.

20200329_104242.jpg

Steven.T

Rank IV

Pathfinder III

38.7874, -90.5245
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Thomas
Member #

Reactions: DBG

DBG

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kamuela, Hawaii County, Hawaii, United States
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Ackerman
Member #

What makes it better than the Rhino Rack?
The rhino was OK... not built very strong. It Has plastic hinges that broke in about 8-10 mph wind while deploying it. What is nice about it is all The walls are the same size. So you can zip an extension on anywhere.
I chose the single side number 3 so it could zip onto any side to create wind block or extra shade. I also like the ability to not use the legs if it’s calm and I’m just deploying for lunch or a short period.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
What makes it better than the Rhino Rack?
All stainless steel hardware no plastic hinges, rafters are made from a much stronger aluminum rectangular tubing I think they are 1x2 inches and one piece. Staked out it is very rigid compared to a Rhino. I weigh 225 pounds and I bet it would come very close to holding my weight if I hung from a rafter. I have gotten 20 mph wind gusts without it staked down and it would rock my 7500 pound Tahoe... The first time I saw a Rhino a 10 mph gust folded it in half when several hinges broke rendering it useless until repaired and very difficult to put back into its case.

The Rhino in one day convinced me I wanted a 270 degree awning and also convinced me I wanted one that was much stronger. I knew I did not want something with such a weak and critical link in the system.

If you get to see both side by side it is very obvious the quality and durability differences.

DBG

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kamuela, Hawaii County, Hawaii, United States
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Ackerman
Member #

All stainless steel hardware no plastic hinges, rafters are made from a much stronger aluminum rectangular tubing I think they are 1x2 inches and one piece. Staked out it is very rigid compared to a Rhino. I weigh 225 pounds and I bet it would come very close to holding my weight if I hung from a rafter. I have gotten 20 mph wind gusts without it staked down and it would rock my 7500 pound Tahoe... The first time I saw a Rhino a 10 mph gust folded it in half when several hinges broke rendering it useless until repaired and very difficult to put back into its case.

The Rhino in one day convinced me I wanted a 270 degree awning and also convinced me I wanted one that was much stronger. I knew I did not want something with such a weak and critical link in the system.

If you get to see both side by side it is very obvious the quality and durability differences.
What he said!!

all true!!

newhaircut

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Kentucky
First Name
Wes
Last Name
Smith
Hi folks, wanted to drop in and say thank you to all the contributors here. PULLED THE TRIGGER yesterday on a passenger side 270 and full wall set. I thought I would try and add some of my thoughts and research along the way.

First off, all the photos and videos here are invaluable. I ran across the following article that I found really useful for understanding the different designs and footprints in the market. Though OVS is not listed, it mirrors the Darche.

I was very interested in the Darche but as an Australian import, it’s just more expensive. I also considered the Overland Pros models but their footprint is smaller. That said, they have an excellent price point, decent reviews, and the walls have multiple sides with mesh for more ventilation, which I really liked.

What really made the difference for me is good customer service. I’ll pay more for decent support, period. After talking with Sean yesterday, that was enough to close the deal.

I plan to use this awning primarily on a Hiker trailer. I have a square CVT awning today which is great, but doesn’t offer near the coverage or enclosed space (family of 7, we roll pretty deep). As I understand it, Hiker is switching to OVS, from Batwing due to quality issues, and Darche due to cost.

Cheers and thanks!