Nomadic 270 degree awning form Overland Vehicle Systems

• HTML tutorial

TeamBarr

Rank I

Contributor III

I would be interested in a group buy.

Would the factory supplied mounts work on a front runner rack? It looks like it may work if mounted to the bottom of the rack.

OVS One

Rank 0

Contributor I

Santa Fe Springs, California
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Angues
Sorry for the late reply and I would like to see minimum of 5 awnings and we can provide a one time special buy of 15% off. Orders need to be placed by 1/31/2020 and will ship immediately. Freight will be at no charge and we can take individual orders. Please call our office and we can facilitate the orders. Please use Promo Code: Overland Bound 1-2020

Reactions: halfmacgas and DBG

trailRunner

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Portland, OR
First Name
Duncan
Last Name
Hoge
New to the thread, but was shopping.
OVS One — do you think the group discount would be better than current promo running on your site?

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
Alu-Cab 270 is bullet proof and not much more expensive. OK4wd will ship directly to you.
I am guessing you mis-spoke here and didn't realize the Nomadic is less than half the price at $764.99 compared to over $1600.00 for the Alu-cab plus the AC has a smaller sq-ft area of coverage than a Nomadic awning does. The Nomadic rafters are about as strong as Alu-cab too. There certainly is not $750 more value in a Alu-cab that I have seen.

I have had one of these for a while now and it has been pretty solid but, I must say I have never tried shooting a bullet through it yet... lol But, I would rate it as pretty bullet proof.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Alu-Cab 270 is bullet proof and not much more expensive. OK4wd will ship directly to you.
An Alu-Cab with walls and mounts is at least $3,017.95. Silly expensive. Not sure why the wall are so expensive. They are nice awnings. I don't think they are $3000 nice but we all choose how we want to spend our money.

Alu-Cab_Shadow_Awning___Alu-Cab_Canopy_for_Sale.png

I own the 23 Zero awning which is very similar to what OVS is selling. For around $1500 I can create a massive mostly enclosed room. Great for cold weather camping. Run a propane fire pit and stay warm.

con5YwvwT228yJCsRDPqVw.jpg

Last edited:

trailRunner

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Portland, OR
First Name
Duncan
Last Name
Hoge
I would be interested in a group buy.

Would the factory supplied mounts work on a front runner rack? It looks like it may work if mounted to the bottom of the rack.
I'd also be interested in a group buy, once I get some information figured out about load limits. @OVS One I will likely ping you directly regarding some questions that may be relevant to the group here looking at awnings. I added them in a post about load limits when it comes to heavy awnings. But I'll see if you respond there first before reaching out directly.

I think the 270 looks amazing though, but I have yet to see any photos of it with the side panels up. There's only a diagram on the website and it does not indicate if I can just use one panel, or if panels are interchangeable (for instance I do not want the panel with the door).

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I'd also be interested in a group buy, once I get some information figured out about load limits. @OVS One I will likely ping you directly regarding some questions that may be relevant to the group here looking at awnings. I added them in a post about load limits when it comes to heavy awnings. But I'll see if you respond there first before reaching out directly.

I think the 270 looks amazing though, but I have yet to see any photos of it with the side panels up. There's only a diagram on the website and it does not indicate if I can just use one panel, or if panels are interchangeable (for instance I do not want the panel with the door).

The walls are on this page. It is 2 seperate walls. You use them together or separately and are not required to purchase both. This is exactly like my 23 Awning. The are not interchangeable. One is for the front and one for the back. Or left or right if that makes more sense. The 4th photo in the first post also shows it setup with 1 wall.

Reactions: k9sar and tanner07

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM

There are actually 3 walls. Only the number one section has a door. The following photo is with just the first section mounted. On the far right you can see a camo tarp closing off the back section and one zipper on the door is open.

72120485_10157802171021738_7234892493379076096_o.jpg

This next photo has just the first section attached with it staked out for an additional shaded area and with the door opened up to allow a great view with maximized shade.

20190901_171735.jpg

Hard to believe there is a lifted Tahoe behind this...

20190815_135452.jpeg

This is with a makeshift camo section I zipped tied in place we put it in to reduce the closed in section to make it easier to heat with a fire pit. With it closed off it was still easy to have the fire pit and room for at least 5 or 6 people inside. Outside temp that night was around 8 to 12 degrees and inside was around 55.

72164728_10157802170951738_3033277986594881536_n.jpg

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
There are actually 3 of them. Only the number one section has a door. The following photo is with just the first section mounted. On the far right you can see a camo tarp closing off the back section and one zipper on the door is open.
View attachment 135170
Oops I can't read. 23Zero has 2.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Whichever way y'all decide to go, having good walls to attach to your awning can make a huge difference in comfort.

The awning struts on my Bundutec Bunduawn 360 reach out almost 8' from the backboard in each direction. With walls attached and angled out, I've tested and documented temp diffs up to 25-30º F in a variety of environments and situations, from the woods of New England to the borderlands of far west Texas. That can make an evening a hell of a lot more comfortable, even without walls all the way around. Close it in completely, and you can bake yourself out of there.

borderlandswindstorm-0206-1000crop.jpg
Windstorm in the Chihuahuan Desert, walls to windward only.

basecamp_2572-1000.jpg
Lake camping - walls to windward for the prevailing breeze, though for privacy primarily (summer houses across the lake but none any other direction), while allowing light and sightlines.

smokies_6535-1000.JPG
Smoky Mountains in East Tennessee a couple Novembers ago when it was colder than a well-digger's ass.

coldweather_5638.jpg
New Hampshire lake camping this past Oct, experimenting with different wall configs.

coldweather_5639.jpg
In these two images, just above and below, I have the vertical walls pulled back on each side along the trailer side as I continued to experiment with different arrangements. The angled walls around the backside are all flared out.
In this configuration I have almost 8' out and 24' long under cover and walled. I'll sit under there for hours and work on gear, cook, work on my laptop, and read, etc.

The night I took these images I was sitting in there after dark reading and saw a shadow out of the corner of my eye. I looked up from my book and watched an adult skunk saunter right past the tips of my boots. Came right in the warm closed-off area investigating, bold as brass.

coldweather_5642.jpg
It's surprising, even not being completely sealed, how much my propane fire ring will contribute to overall comfort. Pretty damned cozy. You can see I hang the center wall--in back above the chairs--down a bit to let some rising heat out.

I'm making skirts for the trailer that fit either port or starboard side as needed. Put it on the ladder side and I'll have access to the under trailer storage during bad weather while still sealing under trailer drafts.

I love my system and it's multi-purpose adaptability to a variety of layouts and situations.

Last edited:

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
When it is cold or windy having under skirts makes a big difference I made a set for my rig by cutting up a $5.00 tarp.

Reactions: Road

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Whichever way y'all decide to go, having good walls to attach to your awning can make a huge difference in comfort.

My awning struts reach out almost 8' from the backboard, and with walls attached and angled out, I've tested and documented temp diffs up to 25-30º F in a variety of environments and situations, from the woods of New England to the borderlands of far west Texas. That can make an evening a hell of a lot more comfortable, even without walls all the way around. Close it in completely, and you can bake yourself out of there.
This is a REALLY nice setup!!

Reactions: Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

When it is cold or windy having under skirts makes a big difference I made a set for my rig by cutting up a $5.00 tarp.

Yeah, I'm making mine so they'll snap on to my fenders either side, covering tire too, or fold and attach to the long frame member behind the wheel. It too will be versatile and multi-purpose in placement. I like the idea of closing in my galley side for longer basecamp setups, but still have access to the great storage space under my trailer. I keep firewood, my Zarges and Frontrunner cases, just all sorts of shit down there when camped for more than a couple nights.

Reactions: Charles M

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

This is a REALLY nice setup!!

Thanks, man. I pretty much live in it 8-10 months a year and have it pretty well tweaked to the way I want it, and to be quick and easy to set up and stow back away.

I should be clear, though, that mine is not an OVS Nomadic (or Alu-cab or ARB or 23Zero), it's a Bundutec Bunduawn 360. I posted images of my setup to demonstrate the effectiveness of a good wall system.

Last edited: