Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

A few images I made this past winter and spring along the Rio Bravo del Norte on the Mexican border in West Texas.

I spent over four months solo basecamping in the same 100 mile stretch, documenting this year's awesome spring bloom in the Chihuahuan Desert and learning more about the night skies than I thought possible.

It is the darkest night sky in the lower forty-eight of the US.
Class 1 on the Bortle Scale.

I fell madly in love all over again with the place.

Hope you enjoy the images.

Road

roaddude_milkyway-bibeLM-8925-6x9.jpg
Milky Way Over Basecamp

roaddude_milkyway-over-marathonrv-8570-900.jpeg
Milky Way Over Marathon

roaddude_nightsky-altudapicnic-7731-6x9.jpg
Milky Way and Yuccas - Altuda, Texas

roaddude_spacecowboy-7454-900.jpeg
Celestial Madman

Last edited:

tylerdebnam

Rank I

Contributor III

Calgary, AB, Canada
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Debnam
Here's a couple of mine! First post here - cheers! I'll get to work on those milky-way ones...

This one is at 2:00am ish. It's about a 30 minute exposure and the light source in the sky is the moon.

Here's a sweet tent shot with a good balance between the sky and tent lighting:

Here's a couple of Boler trailer shots in the winter with light painting in-frame with a flashlight. Those are Christmas lights in the first shot. Exposure is a couple of minutes:
108020 108021

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

One of those nights I just backed in, popped the tent up to air, got out a table and chair, grabbed a beer, and got to work shooting the night sky. Didn't even raise the rack or get out the stove 'til much later. Wanted to catch that Milky Way rising. This is on the border. That's Mexico beyond my rig.

roaddude_milkyway-over-lowm-8879.jpg

This one's not long after the moon rose, from a favorite overnight place in west Texas. Been there many times over the years and this time stayed up all night shooting. I've been asked if this image is infrared, but it's just my pocket Streamlight light painting the tree. The moon is not really as full as it looks; it's just so bright in an otherwise clear sky it appears round.

roaddude_moonrise-pena-sepia-7563.jpg

Last edited:

B-R

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tampa, FL, USA
Member #

short weekend trip at county park. Park doesn’t allow hammocks so we swung from trailer to truck
E1B21AE9-642B-4AAB-829A-AE305A126165.jpeg

Last edited: