Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I arrived home after a short vacation, which meant towing this from northern Utah to southern California. I love those 80 mph speed limits in Utah but that was about my limit with the 4Runner, and the '80 is not gonna be faster.
This trailer tows well, it tracks like it's on rails at any speed, never had to worry about it, but I didn't expect anything different with this much tongue weight.
I got quite a few looks, people trying to figure out what this was.

A few mods to start with, Justin @anchormountainoverland included the parts to put motorcycle tie-downs where I needed, and I decided where, so I installed them. They're very solid, they go through 2" square frame members, I could tie down anything here with confidence that it's not going anywhere.

20170728_174432.jpg

The spare tire carrier was a little vulnerable so I wanted a little more security, I drilled through the threaded post so I could install a lock.

20170728_174437.jpg

And finally, something to actually tie down to that spot!

20170728_180406.jpg

I've never seen these for sale in my part of California, so I picked one up in Utah at Sportsman' s Warehouse. This is a lot of cheap fun, it's not dual-purpose bike or moto, but it's gonna be some good entertainment.

Watch this spot for more mods and reviews to come.

Dan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using OB Talk mobile app

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Super sweet! Dig the color!(I have a quicksand Taco) Check out http://borderlandtrailers.com/ I just got one and I really love what whey have done. Maybe you can get some ideas from them. They are built right here in Utah by a family owned business using all USA sourced gear/materials which I think is rad.

Hey @SlicedVeggie post up some pics of your build as it progresses, I'd love to compare notes, see what you've got.

Dan.

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
The owner of AT what? Adventure Trailers? Isn't AT Trailers in Prescott, AZ?

Anyway, I think no affiliation.

Are you signed up for OTG17? When did you change your avatar?
AT is in Prescott, but the owner lives in Fruita Colorado. Got my ticket the first day. Need to change my avatar again. I now have a 98 5.9 Black ZJ with 230,000 fewer miles!!!
IMG_8218.JPG

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Filed under: small mods...

I wish I could say I used it to camp somewhere, that time will come. Til then, some of these mods are keeping me busy.

In order to move the trailer around the garage, and to make it easier to park and get the tires off the ground, I fabbed up a nose-wheel and stand real quick.

Using the wheel, I can pull it in and out of my garage easily.

20170805_121035.jpg

This is the 'parking foot'.
20170805_121113.jpg

I can put either one in the front or back of the draw bar, if I put it in the back like this, I save a precious few inches in the garage.
20170805_121541.jpg

When I store it, I use the rear jacks to lift the rear tires just barely off the ground so the bearings don't get flat-spotted from sitting.
Another cure for that would be to use it every weekend but I'm not quite there yet!

Dan

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Almost time for Off The Grid 2017...

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app
I'm getting extremely excited for this event, it will be the first official outing for the new Anchor Mountain Overland trailer!

I've made a few mods and additions that I'll post up in a bit, but a little setback caused by a semi-planned medical issue has made me behind schedule on all my plans, mods and outings.

I'll post some pics here of the setup and maybe a walk-around. Totally pumped.

Reactions: mmnorthdirections

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
Sorry to here about the set back. Very much looking forward to see the trailer and compare idea's. Could be a great photo op !!!!!
Have a nice lunch with that JEEP guy, You know "him".

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

Recognition of the problem is the first step to a cure... [emoji13]

...think Tundra [emoji5] [emoji106]

As much as it pains me to admit it.... my Cement 2018 Tundra Crewmax is being built right now.

The jeep still isnt going anywhere though.

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
As much as it pains me to admit it.... my Cement 2018 Tundra Crewmax is being built right now.

The jeep still isnt going anywhere though.
Shame, shame, shame. ( truth be told those close to me know I'm a Toyota guy at heart, including my 2012 4Runner as a daily)

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
So, I've done a few mods, thought I'd share them here to show some progress on my build.

I needed to find a spot for the propane bottle, the rear fender near my kitchen at my tailgate seemed the best choice.

I fabbed up a holder in the shop.
20170909_165210.jpg

Found the right spot.
20170909_172921.jpg

...painted and mounted it up.
20171003_173207.jpg

Perfect spot
20171003_173055.jpg