Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
So I have been looking for quite a while at getting a trailer to move into a different phase of overlanding, and as I have done so, my priorities evolved quite a bit.

I had a very broad search criteria, everything from a ruggedized tent trailer like the Jayco Baja...
Jayco_Baja.jpg

...to a homebuilt trailer off of either a Harbor Freight trailer or build it myself.

The absolute bomb would be something like a UEV440, along those lines...
uev440.jpg

Another awesome company is Patriot, but it will be too long before these are available in the US, if at all.
patriot_Camper.jpg

As cool as any one of those trailers would be, none of them quite fit my thoughts on how I would take my overland adventures to the next phase. Too heavy, too big, too complex.

I also decided that I didn't really want to spend the time to build it myself, a project this complex usually takes me way longer than I think it will and I wanted to spend my time USING it, rather than building it!

To get it straight in my head, I really needed to list up my real priorities to find the right rig.
These are from most to least important as I've thought about it.

1. Towable behind my '80 series Landcruiser (weight is a real factor here)
2. Small & compact, lightweight to maneuver on tight trails
3. RTT capable, should be able to sleep 2-3, mostly it will be just me but I like a lot of room!
4. Wheel track similar to the 80
5. Configurable for a low Center of Gravity to minimize concerns when off-camber.
6. Able to design in additional utility to customize for my personal style and current equipment
7. Flexibility to add in 12Volt, 120Volt and probably Solar in the future without much trouble
8. Room for all of #7, battery, propane, compressor, CO2, etc.

On the "B" list...
1. Able to carry a light motorcycle - for those single track opportunities or as a backup transportation
2. Carry a bike rack with rear receiver that would double as a recovery point
3. Same hub / bolt pattern as the tow rig (6 on 5.5") for tire / wheel interchange

I did some homework, not ever quite ready to commit to one particular style or brand. Cost is not listed in the above priorities as I felt that if all these could be met, I would work out how I could afford it. After all, I was not going for luxury, but utility.

So... considering all of this, my search was reaching a point where if I didn't pull the trigger, I knew I would never do it.

Then along came Justin at Anchor Mountain Overland (@Anchor Mtn ) with what looked to me like the solution that would work for me.
Justin was willing to build the trailer that I wanted, a lot of the customization that I knew I wanted, he could build right in, or provide an easy way for me to customize like I wanted.
A few phone calls, some negotiation and discussion and I felt like he knew exactly what I wanted.
He provides a small-ish box, 4'x5' then can customize with a lid or a rack, a tongue box, and other various accouterments to make a solid base on which to build.

AMO_OUT.jpg
This is from his website, not exactly what I ordered but based on this photo, I knew that what I wanted, could happen! AND for the right price!

Here's what I ordered:
- standard box, 4'x5'
- rear trailer supports (provide easy leveling on any semi-flat site)
- tongue box
- spare tire mount, specified to be behind the tongue box
- rack/rail for one motorcycle! (this may be my favorite part!)
- aluminum lid
- I added a HiTents Jalama RTT to be bolted directly to the lid for low profile/low CG
- I opted to have Justin order a set of the same tires/wheels as on the tow rig for interchangeability.
(although this was not a high priority, he made it so easy to do this, I couldn't pass it up!)

Right now he's building the first run of production trailers on this platform with a projected finish date of around the first of July.

I'll post photos up here as I can get them, stand by for those as well as a reveal / review when it happens!

Thanks, Dan.

Attachments

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Frame uses 2"x3" steel tube, this is the progress some time ago. Pics like these just get me more anxious to get this in my hands!

20170530_195621.jpg

Here's the most recent pic of trailers in that same production run. This one isn't mine but they're at about the same progress.

OUT1.jpeg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using OB Talk mobile app

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Do you have an idea about the total weight, with your specs, when completed?
Completed... hmmm, good question. Don't know if that will ever happen.

I will get the trailer soon, coming up 2nd or 3rd week of July, then I take over with all my internal bits, mods and add-ons.

Justin (@Anchor Mtn ) tells me it's less than 1,000 lbs when he's done with it, but I added some stuff like a spare, a moto-carrier, etc. so honestly I don't know what it will tip the scales at when I get my hands on it. And not sure that included the 130 lb RTT in his estimation either.

After I get it, I will put it on the scale and post up, but that may be a while.

Dan.

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

So I have been looking for quite a while at getting a trailer to move into a different phase of overlanding, and as I have done so, my priorities evolved quite a bit.

I had a very broad search criteria, everything from a ruggedized tent trailer like the Jayco Baja...
View attachment 25499

...to a homebuilt trailer off of either a Harbor Freight trailer or build it myself.

The absolute bomb would be something like a UEV440, along those lines...
View attachment 25501

Another awesome company is Patriot, but it will be too long before these are available in the US, if at all.
View attachment 25500

As cool as any one of those trailers would be, none of them quite fit my thoughts on how I would take my overland adventures to the next phase. Too heavy, too big, too complex.

I also decided that I didn't really want to spend the time to build it myself, a project this complex usually takes me way longer than I think it will and I wanted to spend my time USING it, rather than building it!

To get it straight in my head, I really needed to list up my real priorities to find the right rig.
These are from most to least important as I've thought about it.

1. Towable behind my '80 series Landcruiser (weight is a real factor here)
2. Small & compact, lightweight to maneuver on tight trails
3. RTT capable, should be able to sleep 2-3, mostly it will be just me but I like a lot of room!
4. Wheel track similar to the 80
5. Configurable for a low Center of Gravity to minimize concerns when off-camber.
6. Able to design in additional utility to customize for my personal style and current equipment
7. Flexibility to add in 12Volt, 120Volt and probably Solar in the future without much trouble
8. Room for all of #7, battery, propane, compressor, CO2, etc.

On the "B" list...
1. Able to carry a light motorcycle - for those single track opportunities or as a backup transportation
2. Carry a bike rack with rear receiver that would double as a recovery point
3. Same hub / bolt pattern as the tow rig (6 on 5.5") for tire / wheel interchange

I did some homework, not ever quite ready to commit to one particular style or brand. Cost is not listed in the above priorities as I felt that if all these could be met, I would work out how I could afford it. After all, I was not going for luxury, but utility.

So... considering all of this, my search was reaching a point where if I didn't pull the trigger, I knew I would never do it.

Then along came Justin at Anchor Mountain Overland (@Anchor Mtn ) with what looked to me like the solution that would work for me.
Justin was willing to build the trailer that I wanted, a lot of the customization that I knew I wanted, he could build right in, or provide an easy way for me to customize like I wanted.
A few phone calls, some negotiation and discussion and I felt like he knew exactly what I wanted.
He provides a small-ish box, 4'x5' then can customize with a lid or a rack, a tongue box, and other various accouterments to make a solid base on which to build.

View attachment 25515
This is from his website, not exactly what I ordered but based on this photo, I knew that what I wanted, could happen! AND for the right price!

Here's what I ordered:
- standard box, 4'x5'
- rear trailer supports (provide easy leveling on any semi-flat site)
- tongue box
- spare tire mount, specified to be behind the tongue box
- rack/rail for one motorcycle! (this may be my favorite part!)
- aluminum lid
- I added a HiTents Jalama RTT to be bolted directly to the lid for low profile/low CG
- I opted to have Justin order a set of the same tires/wheels as on the tow rig for interchangeability.
(although this was not a high priority, he made it so easy to do this, I couldn't pass it up!)

Right now he's building the first run of production trailers on this platform with a projected finish date of around the first of July.

I'll post photos up here as I can get them, stand by for those as well as a reveal / review when it happens!

Thanks, Dan.
Your track of thought is good beware of one critical thing which a lot of guys don't consider, weight Tare weight of the trailer is weight of the trailer empty adding everything toe see in these photos puts a load bearing on your rig you may not recognize, whatever the case you choose wisely get out and enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

@fj80toyman, Your trailer is complete!! I will be taking it on a road test in the morning to make sure all the lights and brakes work correctly. Then its going to be loaded up on my trailer and ready to head out to Utah to meet you!

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Your track of thought is good beware of one critical thing which a lot of guys don't consider, weight Tare weight of the trailer is weight of the trailer empty adding everything toe see in these photos puts a load bearing on your rig you may not recognize, whatever the case you choose wisely get out and enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Man, I can't tell you how stoked I am to get my hands on this! It's turned into such a great base on which to build up my next phase of adventures using a trailer.
One of my main purposes for this is to move a lot of the weight of my equipment I like to take along, from my car to the trailer so I can return to what I really enjoy, and that is tackling some of the more challenging trails once base camp is established.
And! Now I can add my motorcycle to the list of things I get to take along, how cool is that!
Hope all goes well with the shakedown 'cause once I get my mitts on it, I will not be gentle!

Check back here to watch the add-ons and mods to make it personal for me.

Have I mentioned that I'm pretty excited about this?

BTW, enjoy your vacay and look forward to meeting up with you soon.

Reactions: Rubiconcruiser

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

Nice setup. I did see Patriot Campers now has a USA distributor. I am definitely going to look into one because I don't have quite your skills to build a setup from scratch.

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

Nice setup. I did see Patriot Campers now has a USA distributor. I am definitely going to look into one because I don't have quite your skills to build a setup from scratch.
@theMightyGoose, keep an eye on our website!! Im working on our "Enduro Trailer" that will be released next spring. It is a full enclosed, Aussie style expedition trailer with all the bells and whistles. Im trying to bring it in around half the cost of the Patriot Brand with the standard AMO quality!

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

@theMightyGoose, keep an eye on our website!! Im working on our "Enduro Trailer" that will be released next spring. It is a full enclosed, Aussie style expedition trailer with all the bells and whistles. Im trying to bring it in around half the cost of the Patriot Brand with the standard AMO quality!
Keep me updated! I will be honest with you, though. I have concerns about a lot of smaller trailer companies because they are here-today-gone-tomorrow. Which means getting parts and support in the future will be difficult to impossible. But I'd love to get a USA-based trailer. Those Patriot campers are bad-ass. If you can build something similar, I will definitely consider it.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Well, here it is. Watch this space for more updates and mods to come.

20170723_144401.jpg

This is a very high quality build, AMO's theme is "over built, not over priced" and I agree because I shopped around before I pulled the trigger and he built this just how I spec'd it, and the price was very reasonable.

From now I am building the interior out with storage and a pullout kitchen.

I can't wait to get this out and use it, drag it around and make it work for me.

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
Super sweet! Dig the color!(I have a quicksand Taco) Check out http://borderlandtrailers.com/ I just got one and I really love what whey have done. Maybe you can get some ideas from them. They are built right here in Utah by a family owned business using all USA sourced gear/materials which I think is rad.
Do they publish a price list or build sheet? There trailers look awesome but without a build or price sheet ? Love US made, just not able to find any cost info. Help me !

SlicedVeggie

Rank 0

Traveler I

Utah
I actually have all of the build sheets in my inbox! The Owner sent them to me. They have 3 kinds - the Ghost (small, RTT only, but ultralight alum), Outpost (big, RTT, large storage), XT (extended outpost with RTT or internal sleeping). I would attach them but the forum doesnt allow .xlsx, so if you want them I can send them to you via email. Shoot me a PM if you want them and i'll send em right over. Also, if you want the owners contact info for questions, Let me know! They are awesome people and build every trailer specific for the customer.