AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Just installed my MXT400. I'm a fan. I just wanted to know if anyone had a suggestion for an antenna that I can keep mounted but still enter my garage with. I'd like to keep the antenna on. I know the 6db it came with will snap if I pull in with it.

Antenna is mounted in the middle of my roof rack. Thank you!View attachment 147763
There are many NMO mounts on Amazon that fold over. They come with the cable. You can use the 6dB antenna from Midland or any other NMO antenna meant for a Gmrs radio. That’s what I will eventually install. If I find one that works with my roof rack I will share what I bought.

Reactions: 13XSPX

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

There are many NMO mounts on Amazon that fold over. They come with the cable. You can use the 6dB antenna from Midland or any other NMO antenna meant for a Gmrs radio. That’s what I will eventually install. If I find one that works with my roof rack I will share what I bought.
Motorized fold over roof/luggage rack mount for use with non-ground plane dependent antennas (i.e. 1/2 wave, though I am sure a braided ground strap could be fastened): Diamond Antenna K9000LRMO

RhinoRack has a pretty nice looking manual fold over mount as well: #43196 - Folding Aerial Bracket | Rhino-Rack

Reactions: JetEngr19 and J.W.

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

I got a new ride and decided to not go "full radio guy" this time (last truck had HAM & CB radios). The only mobile radio I installed was a MXT275. For 2m/75cm I'm going to just use my handheld & call it good.
I installed the MXT last week. It works GREAT. We have 3 repeaters in my area which is pretty nice.

GMRS is the way to go in my area.
I have used my GMRS radio more in the last week than I ever used my mobile HAM radio in the year it was installed. Apparently HAM is pretty dead in my area.
Quick question, where did you route the antenna through? Did you drill a hole in the center console? I'm trying to do something similar to my F-150 except on the right side of my console since I have a safe on the left.

13XSPX

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brunswick, GA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hughes
Member #

I have the base of the antenna mounted this way. I'm still learning about the different requirements.

Would I need a ground plate for the phantom?

IMG_20200412_110747034.jpg

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
The phantom antenna, a 1/4 wave, or a 1/2 wave antenna would work fine.
See the antennas Downs posted above or the Tram 1181 like I use.
1/2 wave or the TRAM 1181 wont' clear his 10 inch limit with his roof mounted NMO. 1/2 wave is about 12 inches and the 1181 is 18 or 19 inches. He'll have to go with the 1/4wave or phantom.

The Phantom looks like it will work fine in your application. The Truck roof makes a good ground plane. The middle of the truck roof would be perfect but everything is a compromise.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Thank you all. When I'm in the field or doing our yearly hurricane evacuation I can easily put the taller one on so that's great.

Do you guys mind explaining the difference between the 1/4 wave and the phantom?

Just overall height. Instead of being a whip antenna like the 1/4 wave I posted the Phantom is a can with the antenna wrapped up inside it. It's how you'are able to get a shorter antenna and still have it be resonant. CB antennas typically do something very similar. If you look at something like a firestick antenna they take a resonant length of wire and wrap it around a fiberglass rod to make a resonant antenna that's still short enough to be useable.

Last edited:

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

After installing the MXT275 in my center arm console, I had to make a modification so that I can still use the coin tray with my F-150. I got the idea from Midland's blog (here good write up for 5th gen 4Runner owners who want to hide their's in the glove compartment). I bought a ethernet connector mount and drilled a hole into the tray. The screws weren't long enough to go through, but for now the fit seems pretty tight and I don't think it will budge but the first off road test will tell. Added a 3' ethernet cable between the connector and the base unit, and now all I need to do is open up the armrest and connect the mic. Once I close the arm rest, the cord fits perfectly in the factory spot and the install looks really clean. When not in use, I have the mic in the glovebox.

IMG_4072.jpeg

Reactions: J.W.

13XSPX

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brunswick, GA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hughes
Member #

Just overall height. Instead of being a whip antenna like the 1/4 wave I posted the Phantom is a can with the antenna wrapped up inside it. It's how you'are able to get a shorter antenna and still have it be resonant. CB antennas typically do something very similar. If you look at something like a firestick antenna they take a resonant length of wire and wrap it around a fiberglass rod to make a resonant antenna that's still short enough to be useable.

Oh okay. So Is it a matter of looks at this point? Seems like the 6 inch is about $13 new and the the Phantom is $25

Is there anything that would put one over the other? I don't mind spending the extra $12 if there's a point to it. If it's just the visual style I'd rather put the $12 in the tank. :)

I'm using the Midland mount on my Prinsu rails. They're aluminum.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Oh okay. So Is it a matter of looks at this point? Seems like the 6 inch is about $13 new and the the Phantom is $25

Is there anything that would put one over the other? I don't mind spending the extra $12 if there's a point to it. If it's just the visual style I'd rather put the $12 in the tank. :)

I'm using the Midland mount on my Prinsu rails. They're aluminum.
You'll probably get SLIGHTLY better performance out of the 6 inch whip but it'll probably be imperceptible in real world use. The Phantom should take tree limbs better as the little whip antenna will probably take a bend if it get's whacked hard enough.

13XSPX

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brunswick, GA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hughes
Member #

You'll probably get SLIGHTLY better performance out of the 6 inch whip but it'll probably be imperceptible in real world use. The Phantom should take tree limbs better as the little whip antenna will probably take a bend if it get's whacked hard enough.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it. I went with the 6 inch because with the awning and Plano case I should have just enough coverage.

jono

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Round Rock, TX
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Luce
Member #

I installed a Midland MXT 275 with the Midland 32” 6db antenna today in my Jeep. Upon testing, I was able to reach @Mrprotaganist about 7.5 miles away. Pretty impressed out of the gate and look forward to trail testing soon. A few pics for reference.

Attachments

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
A friend and I talked 20 miles away. We are both above the city a bit which made things easy but there was zero interference. In town it varied depending on where we were but we still were able to talk 10-12 miles a part. CB People please ditch your CB's. GMRS is great for those that don't want to get into the Ham world.

Reactions: jono and Downs

TheBronze

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Montebello, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Washburn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GBW
Service Branch
US Army
For a good low profile antenna that won't get damaged take a look at these:

I used the UHF model on a van that had to go in a parking structure. The whip is so flexible you can tie it in a knot. Practically indestructible and they work just like a regular quarter wave.

Reactions: Downs

Maverick1701

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Tiedemann
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5KBG
Quick question, where did you route the antenna through? Did you drill a hole in the center console? I'm trying to do something similar to my F-150 except on the right side of my console since I have a safe on the left.
for routing into the cab:
I came through the grommet in the cab floor. There is a plastic grommet with under the drivers feet area. I made a little slit in the plastic, and pushed the wire through. I didn't want to totally remove the grommet because I like keeping water out of my truck
For routing into the console, yes I zipped a hole in the front plastic of the center console tub.
I have several wires running through that hole to various things around the cab.

Heartland Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gretna, NE, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Talley
Member #

I am looking to pick up the MXT275 for the Jeep JKU. I was also looking at picking up Midlands 32" 6DB whip antenna.

I am curious what the impact of mounting the antenna on the spare tire carrier of the Jeep would be to the signal? Also if I swapped the antenna out to one of their ghost antennas would the signal be crap being on the spare tire carrier blocked by the hard top on the Jeep?

Attached is my CB antenna but I am looking at doing the same setup for my GMRS setup.

The 6DB whip will mostly be above the top, but the ghost antenna would not.

Attachments

Reactions: RoarinRow

jono

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Round Rock, TX
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Luce
Member #

I can only speak from my limited experience, but I have the MXT275 with the 6DB antenna installed in my JK. Antenna is placed via a hood mount as my CB antenna is in the same place as yours. Being in the lower placement, @Mrprotaganist and I could speak over 7 miles away in the city. I would gather that the ghost antenna would work well, but not as well as the 6DB. I am keeping the CB antenna in place for now as I have different groups I run with and some are still using CB. I think for most trail runs, you would be more than fine with the ghost. I attached a quick pic for reference. UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_30b8.jpg

Heartland Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gretna, NE, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Talley
Member #

I can only speak from my limited experience, but I have the MXT275 with the 6DB antenna installed in my JK. Antenna is placed via a hood mount as my CB antenna is in the same place as yours. Being in the lower placement, @Mrprotaganist and I could speak over 7 miles away in the city. I would gather that the ghost antenna would work well, but not as well as the 6DB. I am keeping the CB antenna in place for now as I have different groups I run with and some are still using CB. I think for most trail runs, you would be more than fine with the ghost. I attached a quick pic for reference. View attachment 155111
I considered putting the GMRS antenna where you have yours. But I run limb risers and it would be bouncing off of those all day.