Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Is the water always that deep or is it because of all the snow we got this winter? I'd be nervous taking my truck through water that deep (the manual says not to go deeper than the lug nuts, which is probably a bit conservative, but still...).
It always looks deeper in a pic and your pushing water with the front sheet metal. Did you door seals hold up or was the water only up to the cars bottom ? I know my rig will go into some deep water but carpet I wont go there ! Is that the same Red River that runs through Northern Texas, s. oklahoma near Shermon TX.

Reactions: fixiecory

fixiecory

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Albuquerque
Member #

It always looks deeper in a pic and your pushing water with the front sheet metal. Did you door seals hold up or was the water only up to the cars bottom ? I know my rig will go into some deep water but carpet I wont go there ! Is that the same Red River that runs through Northern Texas, s. oklahoma near Shermon TX.
Yea, it looks a little deeper in the pictures, but still A bit deeper than I like. It was above the sills by a good bit and they did hold tight. (amazingly) That red river dumps into the Rio Grande not too far from the town of Red River.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Yea, it looks a little deeper in the pictures, but still A bit deeper than I like. It was above the sills by a good bit and they did hold tight. (amazingly) That red river dumps into the Rio Grande not too far from the town of Red River.
Then you were in NE-NM, Okay I know where you were now.I f you get down to SW-NM look me up.

Reactions: fixiecory

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
@ fixiecory
So, you passed us on the way up while we were coming down. I remember your rigs. We were pulled over to let you pass - 2 T4Rs. We just went up for a day trip. Beautiful location, although it was rather crowded at the top. I was also a bit disappointed in the trash and toilet paper left just outside of the parking area. I do agree the water crossing was a bit of a pucker...

Attachments

fixiecory

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Albuquerque
Member #

@ fixiecory
So, you passed us on the way up while we were coming down. I remember your rigs. We were pulled over to let you pass - 2 T4Rs. We just went up for a day trip. Beautiful location, although it was rather crowded at the top. I was also a bit disappointed in the trash and toilet paper left just outside of the parking area. I do agree the water crossing was a bit of a pucker...
I was wondering if you were on here. I was in the 4runner. When we got to the top there was almost no one up there except one other family. We stayed the night. Our original trip plan was to do Medano Pass up by Great Sand Dunes and then return over the Sangre de Cristo's over Hayden Pass, But Medano Pass was closes a week or 2 ago. Red River was plan B and it was really a fun trip!

Reactions: FireMedicPQ1

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
I was wondering if you were on here. I was in the 4runner. When we got to the top there was almost no one up there except one other family. We stayed the night. Our original trip plan was to do Medano Pass up by Great Sand Dunes and then return over the Sangre de Cristo's over Hayden Pass, But Medano Pass was closes a week or 2 ago. Red River was plan B and it was really a fun trip!
Glad you made it safe and had the place to yourself. We were admiring your rigs as you passed. We were with some folks and stayed in Red River so no camping for this trip. I have an off-road teardrop trailer and was thinking I may attempt to bring it up to the lake in the future. The road had some challenges, but don't think it would be too bad for the trailer. I've had it on some pretty rough stuff.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Hey new here just wanted to say hi to everyone
Hello Matt, glad to have you among us. I've been your way hundreds of times and always enjoyable. Always with family and mostly without a 4 wheel drive rig. I've seen many miles of back roads there and need to return for some trail exploration. Hunted there before the state screwed up the hunting laws and adopted the draw from the hat system. I'll probably never get to hunt there again with all the hats in the box for that zone.

Reactions: Matt337